Tea makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tea makers

Popularly called a Teasmade, they were an alarm clock that makes tea that once graced many bedside tables during the 1960s and 70s when Britain was a great tea drinking nation. They began to decline in popularity in the mid 1980s.

High-end coffee makers are precision machines designed and developed by teams of the world's experts on coffee in conjunction with professional engineers but tea makers look like they were based on a prototype knocked together by some tea addicted potty eccentric in his garden shed over a weekend. Such a device could probably only have been invented in Britain!

Re: Tea makers

All singing and dancing with in built radio and alarm clock. Never had one myself and would not want one. Parents' did try one in the 70's but if I remember ended up being ditched fairly quickly. It nearly always ended up being one of those unwanted wedding presents. Our next door neighbours were always quick to adopt new things and swore by theirs. I expect it was all the praise it got by them that paved the way for my parents' to get theirs. Our next door neighbours were fairly lazy as they never got out of bed till dinner time on a Sunday so it probably suited their life style.

Comment

There's a joke there:

A businessman books into a hotel

7am next morning a chamber maid come in & felates him

This happens for the five days he was there

Booking out he asks the receptionist

"Every morning at 7am a chamber maid comes into my room & felates me. Why is that?"

"Well" replied the receptionist "Every room comes equipped with a Goblin's Tea's Maid"

lol
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
        Our next door neighbours were always quick to adopt new things and swore by theirs. I expect it was all the praise it got by them that paved the way for my parents' to get theirs. Our next door neighbours were fairly lazy as they never got out of bed till dinner time on a Sunday so it probably suited their life style.
        "It's good to admire, but not so to acquire"
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Tea makers were originally designed to be used with tea leaves rather than tea bags. They enabled the tea to properly infuse whilst the user was half awake. Often the sound of the superheated water making its way from the kettle to the teapot woke the user just as effectively as the alarm did.

I have wondered if teabags contributed to the decline in use of tea makers.

Comment

I remember my Gran had one for years, I don't know if she used it much.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
            X