Old windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old windows

There were many styles of windows in houses in bygone decades such as the wooden casements with stained glass patterns at the top in the bay windows of 1930s semis; the (rather hideous) Crittall steel framed windows that were popular in the 1950s and 60s although they were first tried out on modernist houses of the 1920s; the sliding sash windows of Victorian and Edwardian terraces; and the first generation aluminium double glazing from the 1970s, before the UPVC double glazing salesmen posted a leaflets through the nation's letterboxes...

Re: Old windows

The flat I grew up in (built mid - post war) had windows with lead stuck on to the glass to look like leaded windows. My parents removed the lead but the lines where it had been remained faintly visible for years afterwards.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I lived in a victorian terrace as a kid, it had sash windows and one day my dad was painting the frames and the window fell down trapping his hands, he was alone in the house and was unable to move for hours until mam arrived home, nothing broken except his pride thank goodness
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
        I lived in a victorian terrace as a kid, it had sash windows and one day my dad was painting the frames and the window fell down trapping his hands, he was alone in the house and was unable to move for hours until mam arrived home, nothing broken except his pride thank goodness
        The same thing happened to my Grandad. He took the first house the council offered him when he retired & moved to be closer to my Aunt & Uncle, rather than wait for something more suitable. He was lucky he had left his back door unlocked & managed to call for help until a passer by came to his aid.

Sash windows work by counterbalancing the window frames with lead weight in the frame, joined with ropes over a pulley. Over time the ropes used to wear out & the windows would come crashing down.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Old Windows?

3.1, XP, NT...?
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            Old Windows?

3.1, XP, NT...?
            Nice one!
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
            X