Louise Brown - the world's first test tube baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louise Brown - the world's first test tube baby

This was indeed a world event, but it is also a Happy Birthday as well, and as I was born 1978 myself (as well as Richard and one or two other DYR members), I thought that it deserved a special mention. Yes, it was a world event and not a Happy Birthday thread in that sense.

I often thought that it was quite fitting that the world's first test tube baby was born so close to my own birth (36 days in fact), and I suppose that Louise Brown was probably the best known baby to have been born in 1978 - never mind all of these sports and actors who were born then that are listed on Wikipedia (i.e. Katie Price, Suranne Jones and Jodie Kidd).

I doubt that hardly anyone on here remembers it then (certainly not those born in 1978 itself), but apart from the grainy film footage that is seen in Robert Winston Horizon-alike documentaries, it is such a piece of both history in human biology, and the fact our generation has had the pleasure of sharing this unique event is such a lovely thing. When was the next time we had such an amazing birth that made history? Possibly the Walton sextuplets in 1983 I assume.

I do wish her a very happy 40th birthday (only 36 days until I reach my own...)
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Louise Brown - the world's first test tube baby

The equipment used in the implantation is on display at Manchester Museum of Science & Industry.

Attached Files
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

At the time, it seemed almost miraculous, yet 40 years on it is now commonplace.

Comment

Hi George

Am I correct in guessing you mean the Girl who provided the picture of Jesus (or at least i always believed it was Jesus). Sorry in advance if I am wrong here and in my further reply/paragraphs

If so this picture scared me wittless - though i do attened Church and am religous it still scaredme crazy if so (and in-particular) when the Station went into Closedown like on Johnny Briggs in the mid 80s as like I discovered too by becoming scared witless by getting into High "un-chartered numbers" on Ceefax or Teletext (Re circa 1990)

80sChav

Comment

Happy 41st birthday, LB!
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
          X