Fred dibnah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred dibnah

Most of us will remember the great Fred dibnah, the flat capped, tab smokin Lancashire lad who's day job was to demolish chimney stacks,but not by blowing them up,instead Fred would use a sledgehammer and hammer & chisel to remove the supporting bricks from the base and than he put in pit props and set fire to them causing the chimney to topple.
    He became known for his exclamation "did you like that?" as the cloud of smoke and dust filled the lungs of the hundreds of onlookers who turned up to witness his antics, he was fanatical about engineering of all kinds but inparticular steam engines which he would ride around the roads of his beloved Bolton.
    I believe he may of been knighted in his latter years but i feel sure the top hat was quickly swopped for his trademark flat cap the minute he got outside buck palace, Fred was happiest when covered in oil with a fag in one hand and a pint of mild in the other, WHAT A CHARACTER!
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Fred dibnah

Was Dibnah one of those people who happened to become famous by chance - a bit like the Maureen Rees and Jeremy Spake in the late 1990s? I am certain that he was just an "ordinary member of the public" who happened to be in the right place at the right time and be discovered by the BBC.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember their was a few series following Fred's exploits over the years.

He first wife left him because he spent so much time tinkering with things, & he later married a woman a lot younger & had a second family with her.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        Was Dibnah one of those people who happened to become famous by chance - a bit like the Maureen Rees and Jeremy Spake in the late 1990s? I am certain that he was just an "ordinary member of the public" who happened to be in the right place at the right time and be discovered by the BBC.
        Not sure about that but i expect this was the case, a statue was erected in Bolton in tribute to the great man.This guy had balls of steel, no hard hat,no hi-vis,no harness,and no scafolding,he would tie 3 ladders together to reach the top of a chimney..unthinkable today

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          He first wife left him because he spent so much time tinkering with things
          Originally posted by tex View Post
          This guy had balls of steel
          Those comments really amused me.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

George,you dirty devil

Comment

Not sure about that but i expect this was the case, a statue was erected in Bolton in tribute to the great man.This guy had balls of steel, no hard hat,no hi-vis,no harness,and no scafolding,he would tie 3 ladders together to reach the top of a chimney..unthinkable today
              He was definitely discovered by chance, first appearing on local TV news repairing Bolton town hall clock in 1978 which was then followed by the award-winning BBC documentary in 1979. He might have been known locally but would never have achieved national fame had not been for that first documentary which captured the attention of the public.

Comment

Fred was born in the wrong time. His Land Rover goes to the steam rallies. His stuff got sold off afew months back as his museum closed down.

Comment

George,you dirty devil
                  It can't be helped, I am afraid. Too many Carry On films methinks.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Not sure about that but i expect this was the case, a statue was erected in Bolton in tribute to the great man.
                    I was going to make a comment about it being "erected", but I thought twice about it.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      It can't be helped, I am afraid. Too many Carry On films methinks.
                      Oooooh matron!

Comment

Oooooh matron!
                        Wrong thread I think! - more suitable to the Carry On thread methinks.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                        X