Medicine balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicine balls

What the hell?....I only remember these from high school, they were lethal and could snap your neck like a twig.They weighed about the same as a pool table and if thrown by the class idiot they could do some serious damage, and i could never work out how to get the medicine out.
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Medicine balls

I always confuse them with volleyballs because of the fact that you are not allowed to kick them.

Were they called medicine balls because of the way that they help people back to fitness after illness or something - something that doctors in the past recommended as a way of staying fit? I am sure they are called that for that very reason unless someone else can tell me otherwise on here.

Have a look at the second episode of Grange Hill from the first series where the short-lived Mr Foster (played by Roger Sloman) uses a medicine ball in his PE lesson, and either Tucker or Benny can't get to grips with catching it when thrown to them.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I always wondered where the name came from...
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I remember first encountering a medicine ball in the gym at the Butlins in Minehead in 1985.

I was surprised at how heavy it was, & could only just lift it above my head.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I did hear somewhere that medicine balls were indeed used for a person to hold and as a result, to reflex their arm muscles in a way of getting fit, perhaps after a bout of ill health - a bit like physiotherapy.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            I did hear somewhere that medicine balls were indeed used for a person to hold and as a result, to reflex their arm muscles in a way of getting fit, perhaps after a bout of ill health - a bit like physiotherapy.
            Yeah, that make sense!
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
            X