Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cover Songs.

Default Cover Songs.

Love them or loathe them there have been some interesting covers made of classic songs so here we are looking at posting the new version against the old version... Which is best?
    Always ready for chat.

Default Re: Cover Songs.

Use me, by Bill Withers. Classic song and great cover by Raw Stylus, love them both for their own merits.

(the one video limit means i couldn't post both as vids)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    Use me, by Bill Withers. Classic song and great cover by Raw Stylus, love them both for their own merits.

(the one video limit means i couldn't post both as vids)
    Yep same here couldn't post Personal Jesus by Jonny Cash and the cover by Depeche mode... Two great songs but very different.
    Always ready for chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn View Post
    Yep same here couldn't post Personal Jesus by Jonny Cash and the cover by Depeche mode... Two great songs but very different.
    I believe Johnny Cash's is the cover, and Depeche Mode's the original.

Wow, such a big topic! Most acts - Beatles, Sinatra, Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Glenn Miller, Adele, you name them - have done cover versions in their time!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

It's also interesting to discover that songs you thought were originals are actually covers.

I always thought that doing a cover version is sometimes better than doing an original because of the risks that artistes take when singing a hit that no one else has done before. I don't think that a cover version is a rip-off of the original as such - on the contrary - it can be a tribute to the original performer, and it can save on getting songwriters in. One cannot imagine songwriters such as McCartney or Elton John themselves doing cover versions - why should they when they can write new material themselves?

A lot of Shakin' Stevens' hits were cover versions of 1950s songs, and he helped to bring those hits up to date for the 1980s and made them fashionable again - could one imagine teenagers of the 1980s bopping around to Frankie Vaughan or Rosemary Clooney hits at the school disco? I think not. I was listening to a radio programme that played 1950s rock and roll songs about a year or so back and there were at least three songs on there that were original versions of songs that Shaky covered nearly 30 years later.

There can also be cover versions that have a slightly different title to the original - a change of gender meant that a cover version of Madness' My Girl became Tracey Ullman's My Guy, which of course was a different song to Mary Wells' hit.

My motto towards cover versions is "better the devil you know".
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I always thought that doing a cover version is sometimes better than doing an original because of the risks that artistes take when singing a hit that no one else has done before. I don't think that a cover version is a rip-off of the original as such - on the contrary - it can be a tribute to the original performer, and it can save on getting songwriters in. One cannot imagine songwriters such as McCartney or Elton John themselves doing cover versions - why should they when they can write new material themselves?

A lot of Shakin' Stevens' hits were cover versions of 1950s songs, and he helped to bring those hits up to date for the 1980s and made them fashionable again - could one imagine teenagers of the 1980s bopping around to Frankie Vaughan or Rosemary Clooney hits at the school disco? I think not. I was listening to a radio programme that played 1950s rock and roll songs about a year or so back and there were at least three songs on there that were original versions of songs that Shaky covered nearly 30 years later.

There can also be cover versions that have a slightly different title to the original - a change of gender meant that a cover version of Madness' My Girl became Tracey Ullman's My Guy, which of course was a different song to Mary Wells' hit.

My motto towards cover versions is "better the devil you know".
    The beatles did a lorry load of covers?
    The meek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    The beatles did a lorry load of covers?
    Sorry this is a statement NOT a question
    The meek shall inherit the earth

One of my favourite covers is Al Green's version of The Bee Gees How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?
    The Trickster On The Roof