Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cover Songs.

Originally posted by branny View Post
    Thought she was great in Legend but seems to have vanished since.
    Maybe making babies... ?
    Always ready for chat.

Comment

doing lots of TV apparently....American Gods (TV Series)
      Laura Moon / Essie MacGowan
      - Episode #2.1 (2019) ... Laura Moon
      - Come to Jesus (2017) ... Laura Moon
      - A Prayer for Mad Sweeney (2017) ... Laura Moon / Essie MacGowan
      - A Murder of Gods (2017) ... Laura Moon
      - Lemon Scented You (2017) ... Laura Moon
      Show all 9 episodes
      2018 The Affair (TV Series)
      Sierra
      - Episode #4.10 (2018) ... Sierra
      - Episode #4.7 (2018) ... Sierra
      - Episode #4.5 (2018) ... Sierra
      - Episode #4.3 (2018) ... Sierra
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Westlife probably did 2 of the best cover versions - of Seasons In The sun that Terry Jacks originally did in the 70s, but I think Terry's just shades it - but Against All Odds with Mariah Carey (and both Westlife and Mariah was arguably the Kings and Queen of Pop) certainlydid go Against All Odds and even excelled the amazing Phill Collins' version from the 80s

As much as I am a fan of Phil Collins - Westlife and Mariah win with this one I think, because yeah Phil is an amazing singer, but too many of his songs follow the exact same tune and this is how Westlife and Mariah just sneaked it over the orginial I feel

Maddonna totaly re-invented Don McClean's American Pie and twisted it until it was nothing like and in essence knocking half of the 7 or 8 mins long off it - that it originaly ran, but I still like it and until Madge and Don do a Duet on it I'll never accept it as an original that was covered in any way - as much as too I am amega mega Madge fan!!

Moving back onto Mariah Carey her version of Nillsson and Without You nearly sneaked his origiinal I thought - but not quite!!!

Some other notable 1s that I'd call un-known as covers are Mike Flowers Pop Group from the mid 90s who was a sort of Gospel/Pop Group covered Oasis' Wonderwall with immense sucsess and turned it into a very very sweet mellowed song I thought and it worked well with their other Song on the CD they brought out - Son Of God

One where Nillisson can not win though is v the Housemartins and Everybody's Talking which was very differing tune-wise I found. Probably the greatest cover done though was the Pet Shop Boys doing Elvis' Always On My Mind - as if anyone could top an already "Slow-Burner" so well ..... but they did, regardless of them rightly or wrongly being part of the Electro Pop Musi/Electro Instruments they used that was so so common in their 80s hey-day!!

80sChav

Comment

" Seasons In The sun that Terry Jacks originally did in the 70s."

That was itself a cover! The original was "Le Moribund" by Jacques Brel in 1961.
          The first English cover was by Rod McEwan in 1963.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
            Bad news was the best of comic strip presents (imo)

I couldn't help noticing that pink bottle of InfaCare lotion in that picture which dates it to 1987 - I used to use the blue bubble bath version when I was younger.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Ruby Tuesday, Marianne Faithfull.
              Ruby Tuesday, Melanie.
              I Saw Her Standing There, The Pink Fairies.
              Dear Prudance, Siouxsie and the Banshees.
              Helter Skelter, Siouxsie and the Banshees
              Emma, Sisters of Mercy.
              Dream On, The Mission.
              Tainted Love, Marilyn Manson.
              Sweet Dreams, Marilyn Manson.

Comment

You cant hurry love -Phil Collins

Comment

In the early eighties I bought 999's cover of Indian Reservation on 7inch vinyl in picture cover sleeve.
                  A few years later I realised that it was a cover of Don Fardon's recording from 1968.
                  Having just had a bit of a dig around on Google I'm now aware that it wasn't actually one Don Fardon's own songs and that there's a little bit of a story behind the song.
                  All quite involved!

Comment

Have many covers amongst the 1,500 or so songs on my iPod playlist.

No fewer than 4 versions of House of the Rising Sun, by The Animals (of course), Frijid Pink, Lena Hall and the heavy metal version by Leo Moracchioli (which is brilliant!).

Leo Moracchioli also does a cracking version of the Stones' Paint it Black.

Three versions of Lady in Black - the original by Uriah Heep, the Scandi thrash metal version by Ensiferum and the lilting folksy version by Blackmore's Knight.

Alex Harvey's totally manic cover of NEXT (the original was Jacques Brel's Au Suivant).

Got 3 versions of Man of Constant Sorrow, by the Charm City Devils, Blackberry Smoke and the quirky version from the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

David Bowie's cover of the Brel songs Amsterdam and My Death are both absolute classics.

Dolly Parton's banjo-plucking take on Stairway to Heaven is surprisingly good.

Last but not least, a bit more obscure, but worth checking out is the Al Berkowitz band's cover of Ash Ra Tempel's Look at your Sun.

All of the above available on YouTube, so please check them out and see if you enjoy them as much as me.

Comment

I can’t go a fortnight without listening to Alex Harvey’s Next, thier version of Delilah was also superior.
                      I also love William Shatners version of common people

Comment

ive never heard the bob dylan version before today and i do agree that JH nailed it. also i love how SRV's version sounded, really good.

ive never heard the bob dylan version before today and i do agree that JH nailed it. also i love how SRV's version sounded, really good.

Comment

I can’t go a fortnight without listening to Alex Harvey’s Next, thier version of Delilah was also superior. watch IPL

routerlogin

Comment

Working...
                          X