Mighty White is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty White is back

Just to let you all know that Warburton's have brought back, well sort of, Mighty White bread. Only available in Iceland, not the country.

Re: Mighty White is back

I remember the boy in the ads for this looked a bit like the son of one of my Dad's friends.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I nearly read that as Iceland - the country. Thanks for that tip off anyway - I might go online and have a look at the Iceland website as I used to have my frozen stuff delivered from there when I don't do Tesco.

Mighty White used to get a bit of product placement on Alf Roberts' corner shop wall on Coronation Street in the late 1980s and early 1990s. (Have a look out for it in the ITV 3 episodes). I first heard of it in around 1986 - the lad on the packaging reminded me of someone at school.

I didn't know that Warburtons had owned Mighty White bread - I thought they were separate brands, although I am sure that back in the late 1980s. Warburtons bread was a bit like Morrisons supermarket - i.e. it was only originally available in the north of England and the product was probably only advertised on Granada, Yorkshire and Tyne Tees until shops in the Midlands downwards started selling it in the late 1990s. Mighty White was advertised on Central I know - I am not sure about the other ITV regions. I only managed to find out about Warburtons back in the 1990s when I managed to watch a Yorkshire TV ad break.

I am so glad that Warburtons have more of a national sale coverage these days than they did over 25 years ago as they are my choice of bread and crumpets for toasting. Great taste.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Just had to look at the front page of the Iceland website and saw the offer for Mighty White bread on there.

One brand of bread I wouldn't mind seeing on supermarket shelves again is the Windmill Bakery brand - it was advertised quite a bit in the mid 1980s before vanishing around 1988-1989.
        Last edited by George 1978; 06-09-2018, 21:42.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Not to be confused with tighty whites, which are another thing altogether!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            Just had to look at the front page of the Iceland website and saw the offer for Mighty White bread on there.

One brand of bread I wouldn't mind seeing on supermarket shelves again is the Windmill Bakery brand - it was advertised quite a bit in the mid 1980s before vanishing around 1988-1989.
            Is that the ones with the Trumpton characters in the ads? Not just Windy Miller but a few others.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Mighty white, not a fan really found it a bit "fluffy" as for crumpets i always prefered the poorer sibling, the pikelet! now available again after a long absence at your local morrisons.
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                Not to be confused with tighty whites, which are another thing altogether!
                most definitely not!!!
                Always ready for chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  Is that the ones with the Trumpton characters in the ads? Not just Windy Miller but a few others.
                  No, Windmill Bakery was back in the 1980s. Wonder what happened to them - did they change their name or something?
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

No, Windmill Bakery was back in the 1980s. Wonder what happened to them - did they change their name or something?
                    Still going but not nationally, midlands based
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      Still going but not nationally, midlands based
                      That's interesting because we certainly had Central as our ITV station in the mid 1980s (as we still do for regional news), and I thought that Windmill was a national brand - I assume that the ad breaks on YouTube that has those adverts on were from Central region ad breaks. However, despite still living in the Midlands I could have sworn that I haven't seen them for years, whether it is in local shops and supermarkets, or advertised on TV.

When I first got Sky and flicked through the ITV regions, I noticed around 10 years ago that the ITV (formerly HTV) West's local weather was sponsored by Brace's Bread - a brand that is only available in the west (Bristol, Somerset era, etc). I managed to find an address for the people who made that bread and got a got a reply saying that they didn't make bread for the national market - which was similar to how Warburtons were with regards to the north of England right up until the early 1990s.

And to think that Hovis seemed to be very northernly based, despite the adverts being filmed down in Dorset.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        In response to my earlier posting, I actually thought you were confusing Windmill with another brand, but you are correct with regards to Windy Miller - although I don't remember those adverts from 1987.

However, it was Camberwick Green rather than Trumpton that had characters such as Windy Miller who appeared in those Windmill adverts. Apologies for getting it a bit wrong before.

The advert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JtIL_5Ah-s

Windy Miller appeared in the more recent Quaker Oats advert which is what I was thinking of.
                        Last edited by George 1978; 10-09-2018, 19:07.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

That's interesting because we certainly had Central as our ITV station in the mid 1980s (as we still do for regional news), and I thought that Windmill was a national brand - I assume that the ad breaks on YouTube that has those adverts on were from Central region ad breaks. However, despite still living in the Midlands I could have sworn that I haven't seen them for years, whether it is in local shops and supermarkets, or advertised on TV.

When I first got Sky and flicked through the ITV regions, I noticed around 10 years ago that the ITV (formerly HTV) West's local weather was sponsored by Brace's Bread - a brand that is only available in the west (Bristol, Somerset era, etc). I managed to find an address for the people who made that bread and got a got a reply saying that they didn't make bread for the national market - which was similar to how Warburtons were with regards to the north of England right up until the early 1990s.

And to think that Hovis seemed to be very northernly based, despite the adverts being filmed down in Dorset.
                          They may have been filmed in Dorset but they reflected the north of Enland... Filming locations often differ from there locales.
                          Always ready for chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitlyn View Post
                            They may have been filmed in Dorset but they reflected the north of England... Filming locations often differ from there locales.
                            A bit like how Grange Hill suddenly became a London school with Liverpudlians all of a sudden in the early 2000s.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

A bit like how Grange Hill suddenly became a London school with Liverpudlians all of a sudden in the early 2000s.
                              I was sixteen at the turn of the century and I can't remember, you have me looking for episodes but, maybe I was far too young and ignorant back then and besides growing up in Cambs the accents were strictly 'home counties' but probably passed over my head with bliss.

Interesting to note the biggest comedy of the century was filmed in Bristol but based around Peckham... Anyone want to guess?
                              Always ready for chat.

Comment

Working...
                              X