Archaic Trains.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archaic Trains.

Sydney was stuck with archaic trains from 70-90s. They were called Red Rattlers and were smelly, noisy, dirty, overcrowded and slow.. nothing good to say about them in fact. This is how they looked... would be late 1970s I am guessing. They were phased out..finally..in 1992. (See clip) What trains did you use in the UK during this era.
    https://youtu.be/eVqZ2aglowE

Re: Archaic Trains.

Slam-door trains in the UK
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The Manchester Piccadilly - Marple route used class 101 units until 2003.

The were originally introduced to replace short distance steam services in the late 1950s.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Swanage railway with steam trains

There are plans to connect the Swanage line to the main line

I wont hold my breath though

To connect to the main line would be a logistical headache for Network Rail
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

We had 1st generation DMUs of 1960s origin on local trains up until the mid/late 1980s when they were replaced by Sprinters and Pacers. I can remember the class 110 'Calder Valley' units when I was a child/teenager. You could see them all lined up at Bradford Hammerton Street and Manchester Newton Heath depots. The Sprinters were a big improvement but the Pacers were built on the cheap and awful units. We still have the same 30 year-old units in service today!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            Slam-door trains in the UK
            Please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
              Please explain.
              They are carriage doors that need to be opened & closed manually, normally needing a slam to get them to close properly.

Almost all British trains have automatic doors now, so any remaining ones are quite rare.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Merseyrail still have the class 507/508 from 1978-80, still in service. Will be replaced in 2020.

Comment

Slam door train carriages are still used on the Brockenhurst to Lymington ferry port in Hampshire UK
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

It depends on the definition of the word archaic.

The Intercity 125. Still in service, although in South Wales in a shorter formation, was first introduced in 1976.....forty three years ago.
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                      It depends on the definition of the word archaic.

The Intercity 125. Still in service, although in South Wales in a shorter formation, was first introduced in 1976.....forty three years ago.
                      We still have these "up north" as our 2best Trains" .... as well as the play on words that are "The Pacer trains" which is basicaly a Leyland National Bus on Rails - though I am not insulted on behalf of the Bus part - more the Train side of it/element!!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        We still have these "up north" as our 2best Trains" .... as well as the play on words that are "The Pacer trains" which is basicaly a Leyland National Bus on Rails - though I am not insulted on behalf of the Bus part - more the Train side of it/element!!

80sChav
                        Ah the good old Pacer, These old rattlers still do the Southport to Manchester service, I love the sound they make when they set off from Southport train station.

Comment

Archaic Trains.

We occasionally get the Flying Scotsman on the Bury:Ramsbottom line .. pretty sure they gave it a new black paint job a short while ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The Isle of Wight has to win here - 1938 Tube Trains being used in every day service - not on a preserved railway!

Comment

Working...
                            X