Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

Soapbox for hire...cheapest rates!

How good is this news from the Australian Cancer Research Foundation. (ACRF).

In a world first, Australian scientists have discovered a new type of anti-cancer drug that can put cancer cells into a permanent sleep, without the harmful side-effects caused by conventional cancer therapies.

Published on August 3 in the journal Nature, the research reveals the first class of anti-cancer drugs that work by putting the cancer cell to sleep – arresting tumour growth and spread without damaging the cells’ DNA.

The new class of drugs could provide an exciting alternative for people with cancer, and has already shown great promise in halting cancer progression in models of blood and liver cancers, as well as in delaying cancer relapse.

Australian immunologist Ian Frazer and virologist Jian Zhou developed and patented the basic technology behind the HPV vaccines Gardasil and Cervarix against cervical cancer at the University of Queensland in 2005. The first vaccines ever designed to prevent a cancer.

Cancer Scientists at Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research in Western Australia, the Children’s Medical Research Institute in Sydney and the Max Plank Institute for Biology of Ageing in Cologne, Germany, have developed a way to wrap artificial proteins around the ends of chromosomes to effectively block the uncontrolled growth that occurs with most cancers.
    Associate Professor Oliver Rackham’s team at the Perkins Institute has engineered proteins that effectively clamp tightly around the end of the single stranded DNA in the chromosome.
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 16-09-2018 at 03:16.

Guys as this is such an important subject shall we create a separate thread for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Guys as this is such an important subject shall we create a separate thread for it?
    Sure, hope nobody thinks i was trying to hijack the thread with my ramblings
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

I suppose that apart from the obvious inventions such as CDs and VCRs, I think that IVF technology which led to the birth of Louise Brown in 1978 was one of the biggest advances - it was such a huge representation for my generation at least for someone who would be the same age as myself to be born. I started a thread on her 40th birthday this year about her.

Now would that have been featured on Tomorrow's World? I believe that it would probably be featured more like on a series such as Horizon.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Sure, hope nobody thinks i was trying to hijack the thread with my ramblings
    Not at all. You did not answer if the treatments were successful.

Ok I will create the new Cancer thread. How does KILLING CANCER as a title sound? I will transfer my posts to the new thread. You do the same tex.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I suppose that apart from the obvious inventions such as CDs and VCRs, I think that IVF technology which led to the birth of Louise Brown in 1978 was one of the biggest advances - it was such a huge representation for my generation at least for someone who would be the same age as myself to be born. I started a thread on her 40th birthday this year about her.

Now would that have been featured on Tomorrow's World? I believe that it would probably be featured more like on a series such as Horizon.
    A fascinating subject. George why dont you post a more in depth piece about this amazing innovation to aid the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Not at all. You did not answer if the treatments were successful.

Ok I will create the new Cancer thread. How does KILLING CANCER as a title sound? I will transfer my posts to the new thread. You do the same tex.
    tex I was able to transfer your posts to Cancer thread.