Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    A world first Australian- developed "wearable skin" is set to revolutionize the health and diagnostic industries .. Due to the ground-breaking research by engineers at Monash University.. the skin can track health signals from such ailments as muscle strain, as well as measure blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels. It even assists in detecting autism. The device (see below) collects tailored data that can be monitored on any Smartphone or Blue-tooth.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    This is surely the home of the future? Science fiction had become science fact for a Sydney apartment block that is being called Australia's "smartest residence"

    Tech-savy house hunters can now buy into this new Burcham development in the southern suburb of Roseberry that features such innovations as finger print scanning, licence plate recognition, voice control and even its own electricity source for electric cars. It also boasts geofencing which notifies the home when the owner is approaching and presets such things at liting or heating.

    The whole enchalada is fuelled by solar power. In the unlikely event of a power outage the system will shift to manual operation of the doors and utilities. Dont expect to pay anything less than $790,000 for one of these "smart apartments".

    Does the UK have anything like this?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    t

    The nervecentre of the "smart home"
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 06-10-2018 at 00:30.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    This is surely the home of the future? Science fiction had become science fact for a Sydney apartment block that is being called Australia's "smartest residence"

    Tech-savy house hunters can now buy into this new Burcham development in the southern suburb of Roseberry that features such innovations as finger print scanning, licence plate recognition, voice control and even its own electricity source for electric cars. It also boasts geofencing which notifies the home when the owner is approaching and presets such things at liting or heating.

    The whole enchalada is fuelled by solar power. In the unlikely event of a power outage the system will shift to manual operation of the doors and utilities. Dont expect to pay anything less than $790,000 for one of these "smart apartments".

    Does the UK have anything like this?

    I doubt whether an apartment block powered entirely by solar generated electricity could work here. Possibly in summer with lots of strong sunshine and a day of 15 or 16 hours, but in winter where daylight is limited to less than 8 hours and it is very weak, I think solar would not produce anywhere near enough power and would require backup from the grid.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    What do the rest of our nostalgia tragics thing?

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    Women who have suffered the humiliation of a masectomy may soon be able to grow back their breasts if research being carried out by an Australian team of scientists bears fruit. A multidisciplinary research group, led by Professor Dietmar Hutmacher, Chair in Regenerative Medicine at the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Qld University of Technology, is aiming to regenerate breast tissue using patients own fat cells and biodegradable breast scaffolds, customised to patients, using 3D scanning technology, computer aided design and 3D printing. The QUT research is hoping to branch out into patient clinical trials next year.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Women who have suffered the humiliation of a masectomy may soon be able to grow back their breasts if research being carried out by an Australian team of scientists bears fruit. A multidisciplinary research group, led by Professor Dietmar Hutmacher, Chair in Regenerative Medicine at the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Qld University of Technology, is aiming to regenerate breast tissue using patients own fat cells and biodegradable breast scaffolds, customised to patients, using 3D scanning technology, computer aided design and 3D printing. The QUT research is hoping to branch out into patient clinical trials next year.
    Science fiction once again to become science fact perhaps?...not sure humiliation would be forefront in the mind of a woman who just lost her breasts however
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    Is this the first step along the pathway to a Bionic Eye?
    In a world first US scientists from the University of Minnesota have 3D-printed a light-sensitive array, comprised of silver particles and semiconducting materials, onto a domed surface made of glass. The printed material managed to cling to the rounded surface and convert light into electricity.Eventually, a scaled-up version of the device could restore vision to the blind, or even improve the vision of sighted people.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    Australian researchers have developed a tiny device..a Stentrode.. to electronically stimulate the brain in the hope of treating Epilepy and Parkinson's Disease without invasive surgery. The device is implanted into a blood vessel to place electrodes in the brain thru a vein in the neck.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Australian researchers have developed a tiny device..a Stentrode.. to electronically stimulate the brain in the hope of treating Epilepy and Parkinson's Disease without invasive surgery. The device is implanted into a blood vessel to place electrodes in the brain thru a vein in the neck.
    Interesting development, watch this space
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •