The World at War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World at War

The World at War was a weekly history of the Second World War broadcast in 1973-74 and made by Thames TV for the ITV network. It is now considered as a landmark series with its archive footage, short interview clips of people who took part in the events being described, and the wonderfully sombre narration of Sir Laurence Olivier. I remember watching this series when it was first broadcast and being spellbound by the incredible titles sequence. The way the series was written and Olivier's narration really captured the apocalyptic feeling that the world was on the brink.

Re: The World at War

Remember the series well, very sombre viewing and a haunting theme tune. It was quite graphic as i recall pulling no punches in re-telling the story of the holocaust
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Yes I agree that it's a good series. Too young to catch it first time round but watched the repeats back in 1994 when it was shown on BBC2

Comment

Never cared much for Hitler, always thought he was a bit of a dick

Comment

I've just set up the Sky box to record every episode from the beginning !

It's On Demand !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very unusual that series like that would get a repeat on BBC 2. I was racking my brains and I almost assumed that Channel 4 shown an episode as part of their TV Heaven series.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              Very unusual that series like that would get a repeat on BBC 2. I was racking my brains and I almost assumed that Channel 4 shown an episode as part of their TV Heaven series.
              They may be something of a propaganda piece.

The way I see things is that as time goes by and the generation who lived through WW2 and the Dad's Army generation die out then the British public's view towards Hitler may start becoming more impartial and less biased towards he was a villain whilst Churchill was a hero. It's a bit like Napoleon was the most hated historical figure in Britain in 1900. Although he is far from a hero today the public's view of him has toned down and he can be looked at from different perspectives.

Comment

My late father fought in the second world war, and so I was more than aware of what happened in that generation, not to mention taking GCSE History as an option at school. He used to mention what he did from 1939-1945 and how he defended our country against Hitler and Co.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The world at war series would doubtless come with a warning about graphic content if show today, some of the footage was very harrowing especially the concentration camps

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

The way I see things is that as time goes by and the generation who lived through WW2 and the Dad's Army generation die out then the British public's view towards Hitler may start becoming more impartial and less biased towards he was a villain whilst Churchill was a hero. It's a bit like Napoleon was the most hated historical figure in Britain in 1900. Although he is far from a hero today the public's view of him has toned down and he can be looked at from different perspectives.
                    You're not suggesting that Hitler wasn't as bad as he's portrayed surely??

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

While not not having a clean record by any means Napoleon certainly wasn't into them warped idealogical warfare which was 2nd nature for Hitler.

When the ship that was to transport Napoleon to St Helena docked at a British port there was a crowd hoping to see him, so there wasn't too much hate even in his lifetime.

With the media being far more developed by the 20th century it has been much harder to try to rehabilitate Hitler even though the 2nd World War is slipping out of living memory.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        Never cared much for Hitler, always thought he was a bit of a dick
                        Agree, his transport policy was great but his foreign policy was floored.

A great series with many interviews with people who witnessed things first hand.
                        Last edited by Caitlyn; 16-09-2018, 20:10.
                        Always ready for chat.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          The world at war series would doubtless come with a warning about graphic content if show today, some of the footage was very harrowing especially the concentration camps
                          Not only a warning before any episode, the chances are, some moron would make an official complaint that their little darling was extremely upset and had nightmares.

I watched this programme when it was first shown. I was six years old at the time. I was never stopped from watching it. My grandparents all lived through WW2.

It is now classed has a landmark and benchmark series. There was also a series about WW1 made before this, The Great War. I believe both series were made by the same production team.
                          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                            Not only a warning before any episode, the chances are, some moron would make an official complaint that their little darling was extremely upset and had nightmares.

I watched this programme when it was first shown. I was six years old at the time. I was never stopped from watching it. My grandparents all lived through WW2.

It is now classed has a landmark and benchmark series. There was also a series about WW1 made before this, The Great War. I believe both series were made by the same production team.
                            Lawrence Olivier narrated them ..

Comment

Superior series!

As it was made in the 70s, it greatly benefitted by having veterans still around to make those comments.
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                              X