Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing cancer.

Default Re: Killing cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    hang in there tex.
    Thanks, i'm doing ok, Luckily i had taken early retirement just weeks before so i had no financial worries. i could not of carried on working due to the limited movement and other symptoms.
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Despite government legislation regarding the sale of tobacco products the fact is during the current year tax revenues on tobacco will be estimated at eight BILLION pounds so its more than a little cynical to insist that cigarettes be out of sight and sold in plain packets. If you think about it in the uk smokers are paying for there own cancer treatment in taxes....
    The tax contributions of smokers
    Smokers are taxed a lot. In a 20-cigarette packet costing 7.35, some 5.37 of the cost goes to the tax man.

Per packet, they currently pay tobacco duty at a rate of 16.5 per cent of the retail price, as well as a further 'flat' element of 4.15.

The result of this is that the Government receives a lot of money from smokers, with FullFact's most recent research showing that they bring in about 12 billion in direct tax revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    @George 1978 : What about cancer affected by smoking? Cancer had affected my family - mostly my late mother

Terrible to hear your mother was struck down by lung cancer. You can say the recipients are weak willed. I say the blame lies fully with the cigarette companies. It is them after all that put an adictive drug nicotine into a cigarette in order to get everybody hooked on their incidious product. There should be a massive class action by victims of smoking to put these people out of business. I was a 20 a day man up until almost 45. I went cold turkey and have not smoked since. To tell you just how addictive nicotine is.. almost 15 years after giving up cigarettes I still get the craving for one. My son smokes E cigarettes.
    I couldn't agree with you more with your point regarding cigarette companies - I am not a person who would tell others what to do, but if I was in your shoes I would suggest that you should give up smoking altogether if you haven't already done so - it's a damn sight better to give up smoking than give up one's own life.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Thanks, i'm doing ok, Luckily i had taken early retirement just weeks before so i had no financial worries. i could not of carried on working due to the limited movement and other symptoms.
    I am pleased you are OK, Tex.

I have always said that the UK Parliament should not legalise cannabis but criminalise tobacco and put it at least in the same league as cannabis. The fact of the matter is that if something is dangerous or harmful, no matter what it happens to be, then it should be criminalised. Full stop.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

PROTON BEAM THERAPY...
    Available in other countries for several years proton beam therapy has at last reached our shores and treatment is now available at Manchesters Christie hospital. Bad timing on my part however as the new unit opened just as my treatment was coming to an end.
    Protons as opposed to Photons directly target the tumour and is suitable for most but not all cancer types, the benefit is that little or no damage is done to surrounding tissues and organs thus reducing many of the side effects associated with conventional treatments. Brilliant!, we are very fortunate to have this facility in Manchester

I remember there was a few eyebrows raised when it came to light that low tar cigarettes aren't really a "safer" option, & the tobacco companies knew this in the 1970s but kept advertising them as a healthier way to smoke for years afterwards.
    The Trickster On The Roof

It was President Nixon who launched a "war" against cancer circa 1970 as a response to the poor cancer survival rates of the time. Nearly 50 years later and survival rates have improved, with some cancers seeing a better improvement than others. A "cure for cancer" is often talked about, though, of course, cancer is not a single disease, but hundreds, so to cure cancer, hundreds of individual battles have to be fought before the war will be over. As ever, early diagnosis gives the best chance to defeat it. A relative of mine had a breast lump and kept it to herself for at least a year. By the time we knew and urged her to go to a doctor she had stage 4 breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy with follow-on chemotherapy. Sadly, the cancer had spread to her lung and brain, and she died less than 9 months after the mastectomy. I urge anyone who is the slightest bit concerned about a symptom to visit their doctor asap. Chances are it will be nothing to worry about, but there is always that risk, and by early diagnosis you give yourself the best chance for a recovery.

I was reading recently about a surge in patients requesting prostate examinations after the revelations by stephen fry and Bill turnbull that they have the disease.This is good news but being the third biggest killer amongst men it is surely time a nationwide screening programme was introduced. i went to my own doctor 6 months ago and when i requested an examination he was both surprised but pleased that i had taken responsibility for my own well being. Dont be embarrased guys it takes 10 seconds and it doesn't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Despite government legislation regarding the sale of tobacco products the fact is during the current year tax revenues on tobacco will be estimated at eight BILLION pounds so its more than a little cynical to insist that cigarettes be out of sight and sold in plain packets. If you think about it in the uk smokers are paying for there own cancer treatment in taxes....
    The tax contributions of smokers
    Smokers are taxed a lot. In a 20-cigarette packet costing 7.35, some 5.37 of the cost goes to the tax man.

Per packet, they currently pay tobacco duty at a rate of 16.5 per cent of the retail price, as well as a further 'flat' element of 4.15.

The result of this is that the Government receives a lot of money from smokers, with FullFact's most recent research showing that they bring in about 12 billion in direct tax revenues.
    Tex the obvious solution to cigarette smoking prevention is ban the product. You have outlined in explicite detail why that wont happen. The massive revenue tobacco taxes brings to government coffers. Meanwhile thousands of people die every year from cigarette smoking. How insidious is that.

"Grand Coalition" treatment...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!