Killing cancer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Killing cancer.

I remember there was a few eyebrows raised when it came to light that low tar cigarettes aren't really a "safer" option, & the tobacco companies knew this in the 1970s but kept advertising them as a healthier way to smoke for years afterwards.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

It was President Nixon who launched a "war" against cancer circa 1970 as a response to the poor cancer survival rates of the time. Nearly 50 years later and survival rates have improved, with some cancers seeing a better improvement than others. A "cure for cancer" is often talked about, though, of course, cancer is not a single disease, but hundreds, so to cure cancer, hundreds of individual battles have to be fought before the war will be over. As ever, early diagnosis gives the best chance to defeat it. A relative of mine had a breast lump and kept it to herself for at least a year. By the time we knew and urged her to go to a doctor she had stage 4 breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy with follow-on chemotherapy. Sadly, the cancer had spread to her lung and brain, and she died less than 9 months after the mastectomy. I urge anyone who is the slightest bit concerned about a symptom to visit their doctor asap. Chances are it will be nothing to worry about, but there is always that risk, and by early diagnosis you give yourself the best chance for a recovery.

Comment

I was reading recently about a surge in patients requesting prostate examinations after the revelations by stephen fry and Bill turnbull that they have the disease.This is good news but being the third biggest killer amongst men it is surely time a nationwide screening programme was introduced. i went to my own doctor 6 months ago and when i requested an examination he was both surprised but pleased that i had taken responsibility for my own well being. Dont be embarrased guys it takes 10 seconds and it doesn't hurt
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          Despite government legislation regarding the sale of tobacco products the fact is during the current year tax revenues on tobacco will be estimated at eight BILLION pounds so its more than a little cynical to insist that cigarettes be out of sight and sold in plain packets. If you think about it in the uk smokers are paying for there own cancer treatment in taxes....
          The tax contributions of smokers
          Smokers are taxed a lot. In a 20-cigarette packet costing £7.35, some £5.37 of the cost goes to the tax man.

Per packet, they currently pay tobacco duty at a rate of 16.5 per cent of the retail price, as well as a further 'flat' element of £4.15.

The result of this is that the Government receives a lot of money from smokers, with FullFact's most recent research showing that they bring in about £12 billion in direct tax revenues.
          Tex the obvious solution to cigarette smoking prevention is ban the product. You have outlined in explicite detail why that wont happen. The massive revenue tobacco taxes brings to government coffers. Meanwhile thousands of people die every year from cigarette smoking. How insidious is that.

Comment

"Grand Coalition" treatment...
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
              "Grand Coalition" treatment...
              for the coal-on (colon)..Aaah forget it!

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                Tex the obvious solution to cigarette smoking prevention is ban the product. You have outlined in explicite detail why that wont happen. The massive revenue tobacco taxes brings to government coffers. Meanwhile thousands of people die every year from cigarette smoking. How insidious is that.
                Agreed. I just hope that it will happen eventually.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I was reading recently about a surge in patients requesting prostate examinations after the revelations by stephen fry and Bill turnbull that they have the disease.This is good news but being the third biggest killer amongst men it is surely time a nationwide screening programme was introduced. i went to my own doctor 6 months ago and when i requested an examination he was both surprised but pleased that i had taken responsibility for my own well being. Dont be embarrased guys it takes 10 seconds and it doesn't hurt
                  I take three tabs daily of herbal Saw Palmetto for prostate wellness.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    It was President Nixon who launched a "war" against cancer circa 1970 as a response to the poor cancer survival rates of the time. Nearly 50 years later and survival rates have improved, with some cancers seeing a better improvement than others. A "cure for cancer" is often talked about, though, of course, cancer is not a single disease, but hundreds, so to cure cancer, hundreds of individual battles have to be fought before the war will be over. As ever, early diagnosis gives the best chance to defeat it. A relative of mine had a breast lump and kept it to herself for at least a year. By the time we knew and urged her to go to a doctor she had stage 4 breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy with follow-on chemotherapy. Sadly, the cancer had spread to her lung and brain, and she died less than 9 months after the mastectomy. I urge anyone who is the slightest bit concerned about a symptom to visit their doctor asap. Chances are it will be nothing to worry about, but there is always that risk, and by early diagnosis you give yourself the best chance for a recovery.
                    Staffs I reckon we are finally winning the battle against the big C. Yes early diagnosis remains the best way to go but my country is doing some great things to eradicate this incidious disease. Take a look at the work being done by the Australian Cancer Research Foundadtion. The CSIRO are also doing their best.

Comment

I take three tabs daily of herbal Saw Palmetto for prostate wellness.
                      No substitute for a finger in the ****

Comment

Revolutionary cancer treatment on agenda

Australia could lead the way for a potentially revolutionary cancer treatment called CAR-T that has the power to "cure" Leukaemia.

The immunotherapy, which is being used in the United States, uses a patient's own blood to fight their cancer.

The Australian Medical Services Advisory Committee will be examining the safety and effectiveness of the treatment over the next month.

Comment

Revolutionary cancer treatment on agenda

Australia could lead the way for a potentially revolutionary cancer treatment called CAR-T that has the power to "cure" Leukaemia.

The immunotherapy, which is being used in the United States, uses a patient's own blood to fight their cancer.

The Australian Medical Services Advisory Committee will be examining the safety and effectiveness of the treatment over the next month.
                          Sounds like another great breakthrough, guess all we can do is wait and see if this leads to a cure for leukaemia, cancer in children is for me the most upsetting aspect of this horrible curse cast upon the human race.

Comment

Sounds like another great breakthrough, guess all we can do is wait and see if this leads to a cure for leukaemia, cancer in children is for me the most upsetting aspect of this horrible curse cast upon the human race.
                            It certainly is that tex. So are you completely cancer -free now?

Comment

It certainly is that tex. So are you completely cancer -free now?
                              Thanks for asking Donald, i am 1 year in remmission and doing well but ofcourse it takes 5 years to be declared cured, i have a checkup every 8 weeks which includes a nasal endoscopy, this is unpleasant but you get used to it. I have some taste loss and a constantly dry throat but thats better than the alternative.

Comment

I am glad that you are getting over it Tex - as I have said earlier on in the thread that my mother wasn't so lucky and perhaps if she had went to the doctors at least six months or more before she went into hospital, things might have been different in a more positive way.

I hope to God that it doesn't matter to me, although it shouldn't as I don't smoke unlike my mother.
                                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X