Thread: Beasts

Default Beasts

Beasts was a six-part horror anthology series that was broadcast on ITV in October/November 1976. It was created and written by Nigel Kneale. The episodes were:

Special Offer. Set in a supermarket, Pauline Quirke played an employee whose unrequited love for her manager appears to trigger poltergeist activity.

During Barty's Party. A middle-aged couple are trapped in their rural home by rats.

Buddyboy. A disused aquarium is haunted by the spirit of a dolphin. Martin Shaw starred.

Baby. A couple find a strange object in their home.

What Big Eyes. An RSPCA inspector investigates a man who may be a werewolf.

The Dummy. An actor who plays monsters in horror films is psychologically affected by his roles.

I think the series was shown on saturdays, and so far as I am aware has not been repeated. I remember watching the episodes and think the best were Special Offer, Baby and During Barty's Party.

Default Re: Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Beasts was a six-part horror anthology series that was broadcast on ITV in October/November 1976. It was created and written by Nigel Kneale. The episodes were:

Special Offer. Set in a supermarket, Pauline Quirke played an employee whose unrequited love for her manager appears to trigger poltergeist activity.

During Barty's Party. A middle-aged couple are trapped in their rural home by rats.

Buddyboy. A disused aquarium is haunted by the spirit of a dolphin. Martin Shaw starred.

Baby. A couple find a strange object in their home.

What Big Eyes. An RSPCA inspector investigates a man who may be a werewolf.

The Dummy. An actor who plays monsters in horror films is psychologically affected by his roles.

I think the series was shown on saturdays, and so far as I am aware has not been repeated. I remember watching the episodes and think the best were Special Offer, Baby and During Barty's Party.
    The only one i remember watching was Special offer but not as far back as the 70s, must have been repeated.
    The meek shall inherit the earth

I bought the DVD a couple of months ago as I like Nigel Kneale as a writer. The best one of the lot has to be Barty's Party. I found it to be nerve wracking as you realise that the couple are trapped and there's no way out of their house. You don't see a lot of rats in the programme but just watching the reaction of the couple as they watch their next door neighbours who are trying to flee and are killed by the them is enough to make you know how bad the situation really is. And the horrible sound that the rats make add to the tension as well. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by akb48fan View Post
    I bought the DVD a couple of months ago as I like Nigel Kneale as a writer. The best one of the lot has to be Barty's Party. I found it to be nerve wracking as you realise that the couple are trapped and there's no way out of their house. You don't see a lot of rats in the programme but just watching the reaction of the couple as they watch their next door neighbours who are trying to flee and are killed by the them is enough to make you know how bad the situation really is. And the horrible sound that the rats make add to the tension as well. Great stuff.

That's a great episode. Hardly anything is actually seen, but the tension is built up so well. The episode was on Youtube a while ago, and watching it made the memories of seeing it for the first time flood back so strongly. Superb TV.