What is mock goose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is mock goose?

I found mock goose on the menu for a fee paying boarding school from 1991. My mother thinks that it is a wartime recipe although it could be older from a time when goose was commonly eaten at Christmas. An internet search has revealed a diversity of recipes - at least one of which is vegetarian - so it's almost impossible to tell which of these were served by the school.

Has anybody ever encountered mock goose?

There was no mock turtle soup on the menu although there was the mysterious waldorf pudding as served on the Titanic.

The school has no idea what the recipes for both items were as they don't maintain records of old menus and recipes.

Re: What is mock goose?

As we have just had the annual Goose Fair a couple of weeks ago, I was wondering whether there could be connection with that and Mock Goose - perhaps it was something that was served at the fair (just like the traditional hotdogs and all that these days) during the early part of the 20th century? It makes me think that there is an obvious connection there regarding goose.

I have to add that I always went home at lunchtime and never stayed for school dinners, and so I don't know whether my school had that on the menu.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

is it a goose that takes the p out of other geeses/gooses/gice?.......sorry
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

One recipe is based around an ox heart and was common in the north of England. Another one uses pork.

There are also recipes for poor man's goose and Hampshire goose.

Comment

recipe... no mention of goose
          Attached Files

Comment

I've not heard of this before, mock turtle is probably the most well known mock recipe, even by people who have never tasted it.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              I've not heard of this before, mock turtle is probably the most well known mock recipe, even by people who have never tasted it.
              Mock turtle my good man and make it snappy!

Comment

Working...
              X