Britain in the 60s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Britain in the 60s

Decca used to have a blue record label, and I think that Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck's songs were on them. The Tornados also had that label as well - my parents had Telstar.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      Decca used to have a blue record label, and I think that Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck's songs were on them. The Tornados also had that label as well - my parents had Telstar.
      Telstar always reminds me of holidays in rhyl
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
        There's a great film full of fab actors free on Sky
        Based on a true story ..

My week with Marilyn

Filmed all over England but set in 1956 .... maybe of interest to you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Seen it, very good film

Comment

My mother told me that back in the 1960s there were extra costs with using a bank account.

A tax of 2d was charged on every cheque. This was abolished when Britain changed to decimal currency.

Banks charged for many of their services and the charges did not just vary from bank to bank but between different branches of the same bank because bank managers had some freedom to set the charges themselves.

It was common for banks to add extra charges for using cheques on top of the 2d tax if the amount of money in the account was less than a certain amount.

Bank statements were rarely offered for free. On many accounts the holder had to specifically request a statement if they needed one.

There was a trend that the less money you had in your account the more you would be clobbered with charges. There were 'gold' accounts for customers with a large amount of savings that offered many perks and free services.

Comment

I did wonder if Girobank didn't charge for these services, as it was intended to get low earners open a bank account.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My mother told me a story about how her parents knew a landlord of the Rachman variety back in the 1960s who rented properties to immigrants. He used to drive a Triumph 2000 and he had a 'gold' account with the Westminster Bank. He always returned tenant's deposits and overpaid rent with cheques (and possibly took delight in it as it was uncommon for a tenant to have a bank account and they rarely saw a cheque) and he boasted about the perks on his 'gold' account including meetings free of charge with the financial advisor in an office on the first floor.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                Telstar always reminds me of holidays in rhyl
                #1 in the UK when I was born!
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Did your parents not like the beatles or where there vinyl records to expensive to buy and sold out to quick.

Do u or your parents still have any of those 7 inchers.

I knew a fella who grew up in the sixties had hundreds and hundreds of vinyl records of many sizes such as the original soundtrack for war of the worlds and quite a few beatles ist release vinyls.

Originally posted by george 1978 View Post
                  my parents used to collect 7 inch records from the 1960s and they had two boxes full of them - in the mid 1980s the seemed really old to me rather than playing something from the 1990s now.

I think that they had every band and singer going back then, except the beatles, ironically enough.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My Dad still has a lot of vinyl from the 1960s, though he sold some of the singles along the way, which he has regretted as some are now quite rare.

Comment

• Re: Britain in the 60s

I have a feeling that the records from the 1960s that my parents had probably ended up in local charity shops when I moved from the family home a few years ago.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        Did your parents not like the beatles or where there vinyl records to expensive to buy and sold out to quick.

Do u or your parents still have any of those 7 inchers.

I knew a fella who grew up in the sixties had hundreds and hundreds of vinyl records of many sizes such as the original soundtrack for war of the worlds and quite a few beatles ist release vinyls.

I don't think that they really collected the Beatles to be honest - I did ask my late father once and he said just that. They could have sold out too quickly, but as it was before I was born, I wouldn't be in a situation to say.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Beatles records were produced and sold in the millions and have little value...apart from this one which was not released.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401586154445?ul_noapp=true

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                            Beatles records were produced and sold in the millions and have little value...apart from this one which was not released.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401586154445?ul_noapp=true
                            That's not quite true...

For one thing, that American LP you linked to was, IIRC, released, in the US, but quickly withdrawn, due to the nature of the sleeve. Some copies "escaped" and are eye-wateringly expensive in mint condition!

As for UK releases, if you can find the first two singles on the red Parlophone label, you would be quids in!

Likewise any promos or demos!

As for worldwide releases, they are hit and miss. The rarest ones are in the far-flung regions, like the Philippines or such.

Also, believe it or not, some were released on 78! A classic example of a country that did that was India (although it was by no means the only one). The logic behind that was that a lot of the poorer countries did not have electricity in the areas outside the main cities and so only wind-up gramophones were available.

Attached Files
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The early stereo copies of the Please Please Me LP are worth a lot, as demand for stereo was low in 1963, & the early ones had a different label design to the later pressings.

Comment

• Britain in the 60s

I’ve got an old Beatles 7” vinyl of Long Tall Sally somewhere ... think it is a yellow coloured one ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Last edited by Zincubus; 15-04-2019, 16:31.

Comment

Working...
                                X