Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64

Thread: Britain in the 60s

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    It could be argued that the 1960s were the last of Britain as a free and independent country before we joined the EU. There were probably a lot of Leave voters in the EU Referendum who based their decision on this fact.

    Information I have from people who lived through the 1960s is that society back then was a lot more socially conservative than the media in more recent times makes it out to be. The liberalism and the change in attitudes associated with 1960s didn't really take off amongst the masses until the 1970s.

    Enoch Powell was overwhelmingly viewed as a hero by ordinary people after delivering his famous speech.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    Good points, Arran - do you think that the 2020s will see Britain go back to being an independent country just like it was before we joined the EU? In other words, do you think we would go full circle in that respect?
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    God I hope not...!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

  4. #14

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    In the 50s and 60s Britain was indeed quite socially conservative, with liberalism being a kind of counter-culture that gradually grew stronger in the late 60s until now it is social conservatism that is the counter culture. Looking from 2018 back to the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, social attitudes of the time are derided by many--lots of phobes and isms. However, in a few decades I expect that people of that time will look back at the social attitudes of the 2010s with equal contempt. Each generation thinks it social attitudes are the correct ones and derides those of earlier generations. It has been like that for a long time and will continue for a long time.

  5. #15

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    A few things to recall Beatlemania when girls were screaming their heads off.1963 The great train robbery.When Harold Wilson became the labour prime minister famous for smoking a pipe,winning the 1964 election.Coal fires to keep warm no radiators in my parents home.Christmas time was tough not many presents but we were grateful for what we received,no gadgets in those days.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    1,054

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
    A few things to recall Beatlemania when girls were screaming their heads off.1963 The great train robbery.When Harold Wilson became the labour prime minister famous for smoking a pipe,winning the 1964 election.Coal fires to keep warm no radiators in my parents home.Christmas time was tough not many presents but we were grateful for what we received,no gadgets in those days.
    Hard to imagine the Beatles were only together eight years but during that short time they wrote and recorded some of the most enduring music of all time and IMO there will never be another group that will achieve what they did. Contrary to popular belief flower power as it was called was was very short lived and very few people were going to San-francisco with flowers in their hair, more like coal dust and smog.
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    866

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Hard to imagine the Beatles were only together eight years but during that short time they wrote and recorded some of the most enduring music of all time and IMO there will never be another group that will achieve what they did. Contrary to popular belief flower power as it was called was was very short lived and very few people were going to San-francisco with flowers in their hair, more like coal dust and smog.
    Weren't they ridiculously prolific during the first few years before they encountered drugs of various forms ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    1,054

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Weren't they ridiculously prolific during the first few years before they encountered drugs of various forms ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The Beatles were prolific for the whole of their careers, although all drugs are bad they did nothing harder than LSD which was for recreational use and not dependence. Many maintain that the use of LSD brought out the more experimental elements in their music, the song A DAY IN THE LIFE for example is a million miles away from TWIST AND SHOUT, SHE LOVES YOU etc. The 60s generally was probably the most creative decade of our generation particularly in the field of music, art,cinema
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Hard to imagine the Beatles were only together eight years...
    They were together for a few years before they got famous, honing their craft in Hamburg etc.
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,923

    Default Re: Britain in the 60s

    Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    The Beatles were prolific for the whole of their careers...
    1967 was a particularly prolific year for them, look at what they achieved!

    All You Need Is Love
    Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever
    Hello Goodbye
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Magical Mystery Tour (music and film)

    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Similar Threads

  1. When Britain had manufacturing
    By amethyst in forum Miscellaneous memories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-06-2016, 21:47
  2. Britain on Film
    By Hair Bear in forum Television
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-09-2013, 11:00
  3. Britain's Next Top Model
    By SpiralCoolStuff in forum Member's lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-06-2010, 20:48
  4. Made In Britain
    By vanhelsing in forum Television
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28-04-2010, 00:13
  5. Captain Britain
    By Cat Weazle in forum Books, comics and magazines
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-02-2009, 10:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •