Thoughts on blue cistern blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on blue cistern blocks

So I overheard a conversation about bathrooms today ... I work in a female dominated high school ....
    anyways the topic of that blue stuff you put in toilet cisterns turning the toilet water blue and one woman in her late 50's was adamant that only the lower classes use the stuff in order to cover up their shabby toilets !?!

Is this the common view shared by the masses ??

I've never really given it a lot of thought .. in fact never BUT it just sounds like pompous nonsense ??

Thoughts !?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Thoughts on blue cistern blocks

I have to admit that I love it when one flushes the toilet and the water goes blue - it is a better colour than some that I can mention! The problem is that I never seem to put them in properly - I put one in the cistern bowl where I assume it splashes to the bottom and flush it, and there is no colour to the toilet water - it remains the same. I always associated the colour blue to be with cleanliness and so that is why I like that colour as well as for other reasons.

I read the sub-Henry Root book A Stream of Tritt where Ralph Tritt writes to the now-defunct Safeway supermarket's customer services department and asks why their own brand toilet blocks only come in blue and green, mentioning that he had his bathroom decorated red and wanted to colour coordinate the water in the toilet - I don't think that a red colour would be very popular or would look very clean as far as I am concerned!
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
      So I overheard a conversation about bathrooms today ... I work in a female dominated high school ....
      anyways the topic of that blue stuff you put in toilet cisterns turning the toilet water blue and one woman in her late 50's was adamant that only the lower classes use the stuff in order to cover up their shabby toilets !?!

Is this the common view shared by the masses ??

I've never really given it a lot of thought .. in fact never BUT it just sounds like pompous nonsense ??

Thoughts !?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      This forum is certainly a broad church, never expected to see a thread on cistern blocks..almost as bizzare as the bygone cutlery thread!...However i have to say i dont approve of the rim hung variety they would seem to be a magnet for germs, my wife uses the type which is dropped into the cistern...FIN
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Likewise. I like to see the blue water .

I used to associate them with people that had money and could afford a few little extras. So for us they were an upper class sort of thing.

Comment

I don’t like them. My partner always had the rim hung ones in his loo. I mean what’s the point in having blue coloured water? They just seem like a daft waste of money to me. I soon got him out of the habit! I wouldn’t necessarily associate them with lower class people though.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
            Likewise. I like to see the blue water .

I used to associate them with people that had money and could afford a few little extras. So for us they were an upper class sort of thing.
            There is something quite exciting but relaxing about blue coloured water when I see it - it looks so pure and clean and (it often makes me thirsty seeing that water as well)!

Even the wallpaper on my computer screen and my Twitter page has a blue coloured water stream on it.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I would be laugh if you could determine social class using attitudes to toilet cistern blocks!

Toilet cistern blocks seemed to be a consumer fad between the late 1970s and the early 1990s. The two big brands were Bloo and Harpic. Sometimes they were colloquially referred to as a loo bloo. They fell into decline with the rise in popularity of cisterns with push-buttons on top as it's a fiddle to remove the lid and boxed in cisterns.

Prolonged use of toilet cistern blocks rots the rubber seals resulting in leaks. Plumbers and toilet manufacturers don't recommend them.

Comment

Working...
              X