Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Television of Yesteryear.

Default Television of Yesteryear.

How many of us remember the UK tv programs we grew up with? I can still recall most of them. Being in Australia we mostly has American programs but there were also some from the UK. Do you recall some of these?

Terry and June: Sitcom from the early eighties starring Terry Scott and June Whitfield as Terry and June Medford.Terry and June were mister and missus average living in the suburbs of Purley, Surrey. The storylines were varied but usually involved Terry blustering over ...

That's My Boy When a young, well-to-do couple, Angie and Dr Robert Price, decide to hire a cleaner, along comes Ida Willis (Mollie Sugden). This friendly, working class woman is hired and Angie gets on great with her. During their first cup of ...

The Adventures of Black Beauty This adaption of the 1877 novel by Anna Sewell ran for 52 episodes in the 1970s

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe Every summer holiday in the early to mid 70s

Sitcom from the early eighties starring Terry Scott and June Whitfield as Terry and June Medford.Terry and June were mister and missus average living in the suburbs of Purley, Surrey.

That Girl That Girl starred Marlo Thomas (Danny's daughter) as a young, aspiring actress, Ann Marie and Ted Bessell as her Newsweek magazine writer-boyfriend,

Well-to-do couple, Angie and Dr Robert Price, decide to hire a cleaner, along comes Ida Willis (Mollie Sugden). This friendly, working class woman is hired and Angie gets on great with her. During their first cup of ...

Amazing Spiderman was the TV movie from 1977 in which Spiderman appeared on the TV screen for the very first time. The film is about the adventures of freelance photographer Peter Parker, who, after being bitten by a radioactive ...

The Andy Williams Show The Andy Williams Show was a real family variety show running from 1957 until 1971 with appearances from many famous star guests.

The Aunty Jack Show At the time when the UK were getting into Monty Python and the The Goodies, Aunty Jack roared on to Australian screens on her big, black bike. A unique programme, not just in Oz, but globally. How many shows have ...

The Avengers The Avengers was a classic, sexy TV series which introduced Emma Peel (played by Diana Rigg) in black leather and a laconic male sidekick in a bowler called John Steed. Fabulously ridiculous spy stories every week, always with big fight ...

That's My Boy When a young, well-to-do couple, Angie and Dr Robert Price, decide to hire a cleaner, along comes Ida Willis (Mollie Sugden). This friendly, working class woman is hired and Angie gets on great with her. During their first cup of ...
    The Adventures of Black Beauty This adaption of the 1877 novel by Anna Sewell ran for 52 episodes in the 1970s and featured a Doctor and his children who got involved in all sorts of adventures. Somehow, their horse Black Beauty always got involved and ...

The Amazing Spiderman The Amazing Spiderman was the TV movie from 1977 in which Spiderman appeared on the TV screen for the very first time. The film is about the adventures of freelance photographer Peter Parker, who, after being bitten by a radioactive ...

Last edited by Donald the Great; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:36.

Default Re: Television of Yesteryear.

Can I ask, Donald, have you ever lived in the United Kingdom in the past yourself? I am not certain whether they have all been seen in Australia, but that seems to be an amazing list of British programmes from someone who is based in Australia.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Remember all of these except the aunty Jack show, was watching the Avengers just yesterday, just as camp as it was back in the 60s
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Most I remember. Not Aunty Jack, no idea if that made it to the UK.

The Avengers is great campy fun. First episode I recall seeing was Return of the Cybernauts on its first transmission in 1967.

The Adventures of Black Beauty was a staple of Sunday teatime viewing in the 70s. Judi Bowker was an early crush for me when growing up.

Kreskin I can just about remember being on around children's programmes time. Wasn't he supposed to be a psychic?

Within these Walls was a prison drama a la Prisoner Cell Block H, though not quite so melodramatic. Googie Withers played the governor--lots of jokes about that name at the time.

From the same time as Within these Walls was General Hospital, which began as an afternoon serial then moved to friday nights.

Before Terry and June was Happy Ever After, with Scott and Whitfield playing almost identical roles.

Doomwatch was early 70s eco-drama with a government department battling various environmental threats.

Remember a few of those donald didnt realise black beauty was that far back 72 to 73.

Judi bowker went on to play andromeda in clash of the titans 1981.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Remember a few of those donald didnt realise black beauty was that far back 72 to 73.

Judi bowker went on to play andromeda in clash of the titans 1981.

She was also in the BBC's production of Dracula in 1977. I think she played Mina with possibly Susan Penhaligan as Lucy.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Can I ask, Donald, have you ever lived in the United Kingdom in the past yourself? I am not certain whether they have all been seen in Australia, but that seems to be an amazing list of British programmes from someone who is based in Australia.
    I spent several early 80s years in the UK George. Sort of a combined working holiday. based in Clapham in London. Recall watching some programs that were never shown in Oz. This is not my personal list..tho I have seen a fair degree of them. Tex I was an Avenger devotee.. had a massive crush on Mrs Peel. I have the Avengers in my library and drag it our on occasions to reminice. I must have seen every Andy Williams Show episode.. the only crooner I ever enjoyed listening to. I only started watching Terry & June last year...mainly due to Terry Scott and his Carry On characters. The show was never avail in OZ to my knowledge. The Auty Jack Show is Aussie.. I say cringingly .

Want some more programs fellars?

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Remember all of these except the aunty Jack show, was watching the Avengers just yesterday, just as camp as it was back in the 60s
    Yes campy tex but great escapist fun. I always wanted to be like the cool John Steed. He never needed a gun.. only his umbrella and bowler hat to vanquish the baddies..

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    I spent several early 80s years in the UK George. Sort of a combined working holiday. based in Clapham in London. Recall watching some programs that were never shown in Oz. This is not my personal list..tho I have seen a fair degree of them. Tex I was an Avenger devotee.. had a massive crush on Mrs Peel. I have the Avengers in my library and drag it our on occasions to reminice. I must have seen every Andy Williams Show episode.. the only crooner I ever enjoyed listening to. I only started watching Terry & June last year...mainly due to Terry Scott and his Carry On characters. The show was never avail in OZ to my knowledge. The Auty Jack Show is Aussie.. I say cringingly .

I didn't know that - obviously as a result of being in Britain you would obviously be familiar with our programmes. The early 1980s was a good point to see a lot of them!
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post

Emma peel played ofcourse by the lovely Diana rigg and the only woman to marry James bond! Andy williams has a great voice doesn't he? Even as a rock/metal fan i can appreciate a great voice like Andy had, also Matt monroe (the singing bus driver)
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.