Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Television of Yesteryear.

Default Re: Television of Yesteryear.

Department S & it's spin off Jason King were some of the last of the classic ITC thriller series.
    The Trickster On The Roof

The original Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) was amazing! Great theme tune, too!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    The original Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) was amazing! Great theme tune, too!
    And it was no wonder why the deceased Marty Hopkirk kept a close eye on what his missus was up to...yum. Also, Randall seemed to be on the receiving end of a good duffing nearly every episode.

I am not sure if it was an ITC production but there was a short-lived series called The Zoo Gang in 1974. It was set in the south of France and was about a group of ex-resistance fighters and SOE agents who meet up and decide to use their talents to fight crime. John Mills and Lilli Palmer starred.

Quote Originally Posted by beccabear67 View Post
    I think I remember something titled Doctor At Sea. It seemed like there was one series with the same main character but a slightly altered title, based on some books if I remember correctly. I always remembered the theme music whatever it was called.

I'm sort of immersed in old Z Cars shows, the first year or so with Bert Lynch, 'Fancy' Smith (Brian Blessed) and the Scots Rugby bloke, Webb? Lynch and Rugby bloke were in it later on even after Softly Softly had broken off from it. I have the set of 1971-72 episodes too. 'Zed' was a quality show, seemed to get some directors like Paddy Russell and Derek Martinus who had also done Doctor Who, maybe that's why? If Douglas Camfield did one I haven't seen that one. I'd watch anything he worked on.

I also like the original professionals with Gordon Jackson (hope I haven't mentioned that before), and wondering if there is anything I might dig up from the '60s-'70s along the lines of either show I would like? The Sweeney with John Thaw? Never seen the old original but heard about it. And maybe Van Der Valk? Is that the one shot in Holland?

I do like The Strange Report and The Omega Factor well enough, but not enough to spend what they would want for Department S. Maybe if I find a second-hander on cheap though...
    I am watching The Strange Report for the first time as at the time of its release it was not shown in Australia. I have always enjoyed the work of Anthony Quayle. I did watch van Der Valk in OZ at the time as well as Department S, The Champions and Return of the Saint is another from that era.

The Strange Report has that swingin' sixties aspect to it as well with Anneke Wills (she was in a genuine swingin' sixties film too, The Pleasure Girls, 1965). Apparently they wanted to make a second series of Strange Report in America but Quayle didn't want to go and Wills decided she didn't want to either, and so without them the possibility was scrubbed. Oddly though Anneke ended up for quite a while living on an island out here in Western Canada while back home Doctor Who fans considered her 'disappearance' some kind of huge mystery!

I have a set of Ghost Squad, a b&w special ops type of police show made in the earliest '60s... lots of great names turning up as guests in it too, William Hartnell is excellent in his episode of it. Honor Blackman is in another, but a very small part.

I should be getting a set of Van Der Valk's earliest series second-hand and reasonably priced. Ought to be quite a trip to watch!
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    ...there was a short-lived series called The Zoo Gang in 1974. It was set in the south of France and was about a group of ex-resistance fighters and SOE agents who meet up and decide to use their talents to fight crime. John Mills and Lilli Palmer starred.
    Theme by Wings on the B-side of their Band On The Run single!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paul-mccartney-and-wings-band-on-the-run-1974-2-s.jpg  
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Theme by Wings on the B-side of their Band On The Run single!

Thanks for that. I think the series was shown on friday evenings and the characters had animal codenames---Mills being elephant and Palmer possibly leopard.

Quote Originally Posted by beccabear67 View Post
    The Strange Report has that swingin' sixties aspect to it as well with Anneke Wills (she was in a genuine swingin' sixties film too, The Pleasure Girls, 1965). Apparently they wanted to make a second series of Strange Report in America but Quayle didn't want to go and Wills decided she didn't want to either, and so without them the possibility was scrubbed. Oddly though Anneke ended up for quite a while living on an island out here in Western Canada while back home Doctor Who fans considered her 'disappearance' some kind of huge mystery!

I have a set of Ghost Squad, a b&w special ops type of police show made in the earliest '60s... lots of great names turning up as guests in it too, William Hartnell is excellent in his episode of it. Honor Blackman is in another, but a very small part.

I should be getting a set of Van Der Valk's earliest series second-hand and reasonably priced. Ought to be quite a trip to watch!
    Ghost Squad? A lot of those early Brit b&w shows are poor quality. Interesting story about Anneke Wills.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    And it was no wonder why the deceased Marty Hopkirk kept a close eye on what his missus was up to...yum. Also, Randall seemed to be on the receiving end of a good duffing nearly every episode.

I am not sure if it was an ITC production but there was a short-lived series called The Zoo Gang in 1974. It was set in the south of France and was about a group of ex-resistance fighters and SOE agents who meet up and decide to use their talents to fight crime. John Mills and Lilli Palmer starred.
    The Zoo Gang.. not heard of it and reckoned I had seen just about everything John Mills had made. Will take a look ..You Tube may have it.