Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Magica'l New Years Eves when you were growing up...

Default Re: 'Magica'l New Years Eves when you were growing up...

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    True... I would never go to bed without seeing in the new year plus i usually get to have sex with the missus, then and on my birthday.
    No wonder we have a lot of births at the start of October.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Ha ha Tex, what with that AND the pork pie you must be up all night

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    No wonder we have a lot of births at the start of October.
    I remember someone saying that September has the highest birth rate due to the cold nights in December!
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    Ha ha Tex, what with that AND the pork pie you must be up all night
    Stamina my dear Jemima, stamina
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember someone saying that September has the highest birth rate due to the cold nights in December!
    There is such a high rate of September and October births in my own family - and pen pals that I have had also seem to have their birthdays around that time of year as well.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    I found myself thinking of the new years eves when I was growing up. The ones that stand out in my mind were when staying at my Nan and Granddad's and seemed to me as a child to be so 'magical', even though I obviously had to be in bed well before midnight In my mind it was always very cold and normally dry, I would go to sleep knowing that the adults were up doing 'grown up' New Years Eve things involving, neighbours, music, alcohol etc waiting for the clock to strike midnight and there was a real sense of anticipation and magic hanging in the air.

I can remember being so tired, but making myself wake up near the midnight hour so I could feel the 'magic'. I would become aware of the growing sound of laughter and music in the road, getting louder and louder as midnight approached, then some years I would suddenly hear loud singing and laughter getting closer and closer accompanied by the banging and clanging of pots and pans being drummed up and down the street, as neighbours spilled out on the road and made their way merrily to your door, some years this was accompanied by the haunting sound of the bagpipes being played as there was a Scottish man in the road who would put on his kilt and pipe Auld Lang Syne amongst others, amazing.

The door would knock and Granddad would throw it open to welcome in the New Year, by now I had crept in to the hallway with it came the icy chill of the gust of cold magical 'New' air, greetings and shouts of "Happy New Year" would be exchanged and even as a child I remember feeling emotional hearing the haunting sound of those bagpipes and feeling that cold air. I also remember sometimes a piece of coal was given. There would be the smell of the Whiskey and Sherry etc being handed out, it was always all laid out in preparation along with nibbles etc on the walnut drinks table I can still smell it to this day, and of course have never forgotten those precious 'magical' new years eve memories.
    Lovely little anecdote Jemima. This subject would go well in our Trip Down Memory Lane thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    True... I would never go to bed without seeing in the new year plus i usually get to have sex with the missus, then and on my birthday.
    Filth..pure filth tex Jemima is talking about New Years Eve as a child. I was like you Jemima.. early to bed but slept thru it. Can not remember actually seeing in a NY until I was in my teens. Then all the "childhood magic" of which you speak Jemima was over.
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 30-10-2018 at 00:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Lovely little anecdote Jemima. This subject would go well in our Trip Down Memory Lane thread.
    As your personal thread you can post wherever you wish. So ignore my earlier request about moving to TDML.

Thanks Donald, how can I move it to Memory Lane? would love to see if anyone else has any special memories

Thanks for coming to my aid against Tex's unsolicited filth Donald, most uncalled for lol