Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Magica'l New Years Eves when you were growing up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Magica'l New Years Eves when you were growing up...

Originally posted by Jemima View Post
    I found myself thinking of the new years eves when I was growing up. The ones that stand out in my mind were when staying at my Nan and Granddad's and seemed to me as a child to be so 'magical', even though I obviously had to be in bed well before midnight In my mind it was always very cold and normally dry, I would go to sleep knowing that the adults were up doing 'grown up' New Years Eve things involving, neighbours, music, alcohol etc waiting for the clock to strike midnight and there was a real sense of anticipation and magic hanging in the air.

I can remember being so tired, but making myself wake up near the midnight hour so I could feel the 'magic'. I would become aware of the growing sound of laughter and music in the road, getting louder and louder as midnight approached, then some years I would suddenly hear loud singing and laughter getting closer and closer accompanied by the banging and clanging of pots and pans being drummed up and down the street, as neighbours spilled out on the road and made their way merrily to your door, some years this was accompanied by the haunting sound of the bagpipes being played as there was a Scottish man in the road who would put on his kilt and pipe Auld Lang Syne amongst others, amazing.

The door would knock and Granddad would throw it open to welcome in the New Year, by now I had crept in to the hallway with it came the icy chill of the gust of cold magical 'New' air, greetings and shouts of "Happy New Year" would be exchanged and even as a child I remember feeling emotional hearing the haunting sound of those bagpipes and feeling that cold air. I also remember sometimes a piece of coal was given. There would be the smell of the Whiskey and Sherry etc being handed out, it was always all laid out in preparation along with nibbles etc on the walnut drinks table I can still smell it to this day, and of course have never forgotten those precious 'magical' new years eve memories.
    Lovely little anecdote Jemima. This subject would go well in our Trip Down Memory Lane thread.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      True... I would never go to bed without seeing in the new year plus i usually get to have sex with the missus, then and on my birthday.
      Filth..pure filth tex Jemima is talking about New Years Eve as a child. I was like you Jemima.. early to bed but slept thru it. Can not remember actually seeing in a NY until I was in my teens. Then all the "childhood magic" of which you speak Jemima was over.
      Last edited by Donald the Great; 30-10-2018, 00:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        Lovely little anecdote Jemima. This subject would go well in our Trip Down Memory Lane thread.
        As your personal thread you can post wherever you wish. So ignore my earlier request about moving to TDML.

Comment

Thanks Donald, how can I move it to Memory Lane? would love to see if anyone else has any special memories

Comment

Thanks for coming to my aid against Tex's unsolicited filth Donald, most uncalled for lol

Comment

Thanks for coming to my aid against Tex's unsolicited filth Donald, most uncalled for lol
              Yeah, he can be a mucky bugger can't he?
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Thanks Donald, how can I move it to Memory Lane? would love to see if anyone else has any special memories
                Jemima keep this one here as it is your own creation. Many more members are sure to join in. If you have another nostalgic subject you wish to broche re growing up then post that on TDML.. Take a look at the whole thread and post as you wish. We blokes value a female viewpoint. Correct fellars?

Comment

You are most welcome Jemima. These tycoons think they can behave as they choose.. seen his yacht? Obscene

Comment

Yes, I agree.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Glad to hear that Donald, will keep it here and go to TDML in future if I think of any others, that way I might not get such filth from Tex and his pork pie lol thankfully I've been spared casting my eyes on his yacht

Comment

Thank you George, it's good to know there are some gentlemen on here

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          Yeah, he can be a mucky bugger can't he?
                          Yes he can, but I'm sure he's a true gentleman at heart

Comment

Yes he can, but I'm sure he's a true gentleman at heart
                            Nah.
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Ok, now we've established that I hope more people come along with any special memories they have of NYE as children, something that they have never forgotten.

Comment

I don't remember any parties on New Years Eve, we invariably stayed in our house. At midnight, the coal mine siren would sound for a minute or so. Neighbours would come out and greet each other and drinks would be exchanged with them. We would save a couple of rockets from Bonfire Night and let them off at midnight. One other house about 3/4 miles away would do the same, but apart from our two houses, no-one else let off fireworks. In the 80s, our next door neighbours would often come round and we would make a night of it. After my grandfather's death, my grandmother would spend NYE with us and about 12.30am we would walk to her house and I would walk through her house to let in the new year.

I particularly remember NYE 1986. Our neighbours were going to a night club and it was fancy dress. Our neighbour and her friend were dressed as St. Trinian's schoolgirls and one--I think it was the friend--borrowed my old school tie. Our neighbour's husband stripped down to just his boxers and she then covered him from head to toe in bandages to make him into a mummy. They asked me to give them a lift to the night club. It was an icy night and I slipped over going down to the garage. They had had a few drinks, and I ended up with two giggly girls on the back seat and a mummy sitting next to me in the front--that was so surreal.

Comment

Working...
                                X