Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Beloved Pets (past and present)

Default Re: Pets

Quote Originally Posted by kazboot View Post
    We had family cats, budgies and goldfish, but my first pet of my own was a guinea pig called Shari ( I named her after Shari Lewis for you older members who remember her).
    I had her for 7 years, which was a good age for a guinea pig.
    When I was 12, I spent 4 months in hospital and my parents brought her to visit me every week. I loved her so much and have never forgotten her.
    Me and my beloved Shari in 1973.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img010.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	3007

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Always had animals around me.These were either family pets like the odd cat or dog,or pets that belonged to my brother or sister.The first pets I actually brought myself were two sweet little lady gerbils which I called Bubble and Squeek.They were real fun loving pets always up to no good and getting into mischief.We used to build mazes for them out of ladybird books and let them run around.Lost them both in the early 80's.After I lost them I put in an order with the pet shop for two more ladys,but a week down the line after obtaining them I still could not get on with them,and they smelt quite a lot dispite cleaning regular.When I checked them...they were boys.We had them delivered for a small fee as I was working by then and could not collect them in person or check them out myself when the shop recieved delivery of them.Shop also refused to take them back dispite it was their mistake and the order clearly stated what I required.I did eventually get my money back with a lot of pestering.Funny thing was a mate of mine went in the shop the same week and got two loverly girl gerbils from there that were really friendly...they should of been mine and I think the only two boys that were delivered in the lot he pushed off on me.
    Went on a budgie spree for a while,but found them more suitable for averies then cages.They eventually went to someone who had a really good set up.
    Tigana the iguana came along in the 1990's.She was a pet I rescued at the time.We lost her a few months ago at the grand age of 18 years.She was probably older as I did not really known when she was hatched.
    Would like a couple of rats,but still taking my time to think it over first.

sf1378 Guest

Never was allowed a pet as a child

My elder sister had a pet budgie before I was born when she was 3 or 4. Well it was 'bought for her'....she said that once, she let it out of the cage as she felt 'sorry for it being in a cage' and it flew up atop the curtain rail. My Dad had to strain to reach and catch it. He then put it back in the cage. My parents felt it was bad to keep an animal in a cage as they were Buddhists and so gave it to friends who had older children.

They did have stray pets stay with them when they lived in Sri Lanka long before me and my sister were born though. Once in a while a cat would 'befriend' them. Once they had a stray they really loved to bits and it kept getting in fights, Dad patched him up once but the second time he got in a serious fight getting the same facial wounds injured very shortly after it all healed up it died. dad tried his best to save him but couldn't. After that they felt the sadness was so painful they wouldn't repeat it hence never getting a pet. That and the pongs, fleas, costs etc.

My great granddad had 2 dogs - one a 'psycho' and the other meak. He also had 2 elephants and their son, a few chickens, rooster and chicks. He was a farmer so he had many animals. His son, my great uncle continued the family farm (in Sri Lanka) and he also had chickens, chicks, the elephants and also wound up with a Nanny Goat who followed him home one day and then surprised him one morning when he saw she'd given birth - to a 3 legged Goat!!! :O

Maybe oneday I'll get a cat or two or a small Dog like in the Cesar dog ads but a black one...depends as they are expensive to care for and I'd like to care for a pet or two properly.

there have always been cats in our family............i remember my friend having two tortoises that we would race and build assault courses for...........poor things we gave em hell pml

Quote Originally Posted by sf1378 View Post
    Never was allowed a pet as a child

My elder sister had a pet budgie before I was born when she was 3 or 4. Well it was 'bought for her'....she said that once, she let it out of the cage as she felt 'sorry for it being in a cage' and it flew up atop the curtain rail. My Dad had to strain to reach and catch it. He then put it back in the cage. My parents felt it was bad to keep an animal in a cage as they were Buddhists and so gave it to friends who had older children.

They did have stray pets stay with them when they lived in Sri Lanka long before me and my sister were born though. Once in a while a cat would 'befriend' them. Once they had a stray they really loved to bits and it kept getting in fights, Dad patched him up once but the second time he got in a serious fight getting the same facial wounds injured very shortly after it all healed up it died. dad tried his best to save him but couldn't. After that they felt the sadness was so painful they wouldn't repeat it hence never getting a pet. That and the pongs, fleas, costs etc.

My great granddad had 2 dogs - one a 'psycho' and the other meak. He also had 2 elephants and their son, a few chickens, rooster and chicks. He was a farmer so he had many animals. His son, my great uncle continued the family farm (in Sri Lanka) and he also had chickens, chicks, the elephants and also wound up with a Nanny Goat who followed him home one day and then surprised him one morning when he saw she'd given birth - to a 3 legged Goat!!! :O

Maybe oneday I'll get a cat or two or a small Dog like in the Cesar dog ads but a black one...depends as they are expensive to care for and I'd like to care for a pet or two properly.

i can see why the felt u having a pet would not be good after the cat died as it really upset them and they did not want u going trough the same thing.

im sure though u still wish they had let u get a pet.

although u can see why they never got u one.
    was it the shock the nanny goat gave birth or gave birth to a 3 legged goat.

I am going to be a daddy again
    My bro brought round a pigeon he found that couldn't fly.
    Within a week of my putting it in my aviary-which only had 3 birds left in it (used to have loads) it is now sitting on 2 eggs.

thats great al.has it taken long to get it back to good health and for it to now be sitting on two eggs.it could be the first two of many eggs.so your a real pigeon lover then.
    Quote Originally Posted by stud1al View Post
    I am going to be a daddy again My bro brought round a pigeon he found that couldn't fly.Within a week of my putting it in my aviary-which only had 3 birds left in it (used to have loads) it is now sitting on 2 eggs.

We've had numerous family pets over the years but since I moved out never had any. I'm 44 so my parents are on their 5th dog. So far we've had Juno, a great dane that died of kidney failure when he was 10. Kelly, another dane that had to be put to sleep when she was 9 after suffering a heart attack. Then the 2 I was closest to, Roxy and Brandy who were both rottweillers that we had from pups (not at the same time I stress). Both succombed to cancer at a relatively young age and I was heartbroken on both occasions. They now have a labrador called Sasha.

My Mum has a thing for birds and over the years there have been numerous budgies, cockatiels and they currently have a cockatoo and an african grey parrot.

We have also had many fish and a couple of tortoises over the years. The 2nd one we had for getting on for 20 years until somebody stole it from the back garden.

I won't have anything at the moment because my wife and I both work full time although my daughter is angling for a hamster at the moment as her cousins have just got 2.
    Last edited by branny; 30-06-2012 at 12:42.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

sf1378 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    i can see why the felt u having a pet would not be good after the cat died as it really upset them and they did not want u going trough the same thing.

im sure though u still wish they had let u get a pet.

although u can see why they never got u one.
    was it the shock the nanny goat gave birth or gave birth to a 3 legged goat.
    Apparently the Nanny Goat was old, so my Great Uncle simply thought she was past giving birth to anything, so seeing the baby was a surprise - and the 3 legs. Both were mischievous - the Mum ate my Grannys bar of soap and kept burping bubbles and doing runny poos for ages after , she also ate one of her finest saris when she'd hung it out to dry one day, my Gran gave her a slap and then when she was doing something in the yard one day the Nanny Goat came at her full pelt and head butted her in the hip, which really put my Gran out of action for ages, and in pain! And they say animals are idiots...My Mum disliked the Nanny Goat immensely....which was actually cause for much humour among my family - especially my Mum...

The 3 legged son was a bit of a scallywag as well too...eating things he shouldn't and following my Mum around which used to irritate her greatly...

My Great Grandad's 'psychotic' dog used to freak my Mum out. On her very first visit to her Grand Dads home her family left her alone in the lounge and in walked this massive dog, who promptly decided to come right up to her and sit in front of her at her feet. She was very scared as she was little and just sat there without moving for ages. Finally, her Grand Dad came back into the room and told her that his dog was simply there because he 'wanted her to say hello to him and pat him' - which she then did, very cautiously...lol. Apparently when they literally were about to step inside his house when they first got there the dog came running up and growling - her Grandfather simply told the dog that this was his grand daughter and not to harm her...the other dog was so meek, wouldn't hurt a fly. The 'psycho' once did that classic dog thing of 'bringing a gift' to his master - a dead bird. He laid it at his feet but my Great Grand Dad being a Buddhist felt it was wrong for his dog to kill another animal and did get angry, but he buried the bird and told the dog to not do it again...he also said he understood why he did it to please him...lol

As I grew up we had all sorts of animals around the home.Not all at once though,lol.My favourite two were my Gerbils bubble and squeek as they kept getting into all sorts of mischief.I have had other pets myself since but now I am happy with three adorable and troublesome rats called Dandy,Lion and Burdock.