Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pets

I am going to be a daddy again
    My bro brought round a pigeon he found that couldn't fly.
    Within a week of my putting it in my aviary-which only had 3 birds left in it (used to have loads) it is now sitting on 2 eggs.

Comment

thats great al.has it taken long to get it back to good health and for it to now be sitting on two eggs.it could be the first two of many eggs.so your a real pigeon lover then.
      Originally posted by stud1al View Post
      I am going to be a daddy again My bro brought round a pigeon he found that couldn't fly.Within a week of my putting it in my aviary-which only had 3 birds left in it (used to have loads) it is now sitting on 2 eggs.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We've had numerous family pets over the years but since I moved out never had any. I'm 44 so my parents are on their 5th dog. So far we've had Juno, a great dane that died of kidney failure when he was 10. Kelly, another dane that had to be put to sleep when she was 9 after suffering a heart attack. Then the 2 I was closest to, Roxy and Brandy who were both rottweillers that we had from pups (not at the same time I stress). Both succombed to cancer at a relatively young age and I was heartbroken on both occasions. They now have a labrador called Sasha.

My Mum has a thing for birds and over the years there have been numerous budgies, cockatiels and they currently have a cockatoo and an african grey parrot.

We have also had many fish and a couple of tortoises over the years. The 2nd one we had for getting on for 20 years until somebody stole it from the back garden.

I won't have anything at the moment because my wife and I both work full time although my daughter is angling for a hamster at the moment as her cousins have just got 2.
        Last edited by branny; 30-06-2012, 12:42.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          i can see why the felt u having a pet would not be good after the cat died as it really upset them and they did not want u going trough the same thing.

im sure though u still wish they had let u get a pet.

although u can see why they never got u one.
          was it the shock the nanny goat gave birth or gave birth to a 3 legged goat.
          Apparently the Nanny Goat was old, so my Great Uncle simply thought she was past giving birth to anything, so seeing the baby was a surprise - and the 3 legs. Both were mischievous - the Mum ate my Grannys bar of soap and kept burping bubbles and doing runny poos for ages after , she also ate one of her finest saris when she'd hung it out to dry one day, my Gran gave her a slap and then when she was doing something in the yard one day the Nanny Goat came at her full pelt and head butted her in the hip, which really put my Gran out of action for ages, and in pain! And they say animals are idiots...My Mum disliked the Nanny Goat immensely....which was actually cause for much humour among my family - especially my Mum...

The 3 legged son was a bit of a scallywag as well too...eating things he shouldn't and following my Mum around which used to irritate her greatly...

My Great Grandad's 'psychotic' dog used to freak my Mum out. On her very first visit to her Grand Dads home her family left her alone in the lounge and in walked this massive dog, who promptly decided to come right up to her and sit in front of her at her feet. She was very scared as she was little and just sat there without moving for ages. Finally, her Grand Dad came back into the room and told her that his dog was simply there because he 'wanted her to say hello to him and pat him' - which she then did, very cautiously...lol. Apparently when they literally were about to step inside his house when they first got there the dog came running up and growling - her Grandfather simply told the dog that this was his grand daughter and not to harm her...the other dog was so meek, wouldn't hurt a fly. The 'psycho' once did that classic dog thing of 'bringing a gift' to his master - a dead bird. He laid it at his feet but my Great Grand Dad being a Buddhist felt it was wrong for his dog to kill another animal and did get angry, but he buried the bird and told the dog to not do it again...he also said he understood why he did it to please him...lol

Comment

As I grew up we had all sorts of animals around the home.Not all at once though,lol.My favourite two were my Gerbils bubble and squeek as they kept getting into all sorts of mischief.I have had other pets myself since but now I am happy with three adorable and troublesome rats called Dandy,Lion and Burdock.

Comment

we have always been a 'cat' family............was always a cat in my parents' house and there is today in my house

Comment

I like the names people give pets - like 'Pickle'.

Kazboot - was Shari affectionate? Lots of animals are with owners, they usually know when someones down in the dumps and come over to you as if to say 'I'll cheer you up'.

Comment

The first pet we had was Crystal. It was a cat. Yeah, I know. I didn't name it, I was a toddler at the time. That went missing. Then I got a budgie called Joey. Yes I know. I named that one too. Original I know. I had some fish as well, a goldfish I won at a fair that lasted forever. I think I called that Goldie. Yes I know. I'm very original at giving names. I got some more fish of varying species over the years. I know I called one Paddy and another Echo. As the years went by they all died off. Joey died when I was about 6 or something. My dad knew someone who had an aviary so I went and picked another one that I named after the guy that bred it. It was called Ronnie. That was a playful budgie, but in his old age he got really bitter and bad tempered. I'm not sure when he died. I was really upset when it happened though.

A few years later we inherited an African Grey called Sonny. He was older than both my parents. In the few years we had him before he passed, I must have heard the Addams Family theme music a trillion times.

All running parallel to this was the various farm animals we had as a family. I never gave any of these animals names, because you know, they sole existence was to be fed and well looked after before going into the pot. I've dealt with everything from chicks to horses.

I once got attacked by one of the geese. My Granddad saw to it there and then. It ended upon the dinner table the Sunday after.

My favourite animals to look after were the piglets and lambs. The pigs were just like little dogs really, probably the smartest animal I've ever dealt with. It really is a shame they get as big as they do and make as much mess as they do, otherwise they'd make great pets.

The guy next to the land used to do falconry. He had a few owls and a falcon. He also had a red kite, he was in a program to have them reintegrated back into the wild and only looked after the ones that were past rehabilitating. I always thought he had the coolest pets I'd ever seen. Plus he had balls of steel, how many of you would walk around with a bird on your shoulder that could cause you some very serious damage if it wanted to?

Comment

When I was very young-about 5, we looked after a cat who was a stray, Minnie, my dad called her. She had beautiful white kittens. We visited my Granny for the weekend one time and when we got home, the kittens were dead and strewn all over the back garden, their little ears were all bloodstained, I don't know if it was a dog or some of our neighbours who had pigeons who had done it...one of their sons was cruel to cats. I was traumatised. I have no memory of what happened Minnie after that.

We then had an adorable little black and white pup called Bruno who disappeared. Then we had a succession of cats all called Fluffy who all went missing, one after the other. One of them had no tail..maybe a manx cat, I don't know.

Then came our Rusty, a lab/border collie x. He lived 'til he was 14 in '94, I miss him still.

Comment

Pets

What pets did you own as a child

Cat,Dog,Goldfish,Canary,Budgie

Anyone had anything unusual?

Comment

What pets did you have

Growing up I had a black & white tom cat,his name was Tommy.Jack Russell named Brandy

Comment

Re: What pets did you have

As a kid I had a poodle named Ginger and now I have a black cat named Prince Luis of Catalona, aka Louie.

Comment

oh my gosh you wouldn't believe what I had when was living at home every thing from pet snakes to horses
                            me and my dad had shed full birds dogs chickens you name it we had it lol
                            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                              As a kid I had a poodle named Ginger and now I have a black cat named Prince Luis of Catalona, aka Louie.
                              Posh Cat name

Comment

Cats are definitely posh creatures. Louie can be quite the autocrat, especially when he wants cuddle time. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X