Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Beloved Pets (past and present)

Default Re: Pets

we have always been a 'cat' family............was always a cat in my parents' house and there is today in my house

sf1378 Guest

I like the names people give pets - like 'Pickle'.

Kazboot - was Shari affectionate? Lots of animals are with owners, they usually know when someones down in the dumps and come over to you as if to say 'I'll cheer you up'.

The first pet we had was Crystal. It was a cat. Yeah, I know. I didn't name it, I was a toddler at the time. That went missing. Then I got a budgie called Joey. Yes I know. I named that one too. Original I know. I had some fish as well, a goldfish I won at a fair that lasted forever. I think I called that Goldie. Yes I know. I'm very original at giving names. I got some more fish of varying species over the years. I know I called one Paddy and another Echo. As the years went by they all died off. Joey died when I was about 6 or something. My dad knew someone who had an aviary so I went and picked another one that I named after the guy that bred it. It was called Ronnie. That was a playful budgie, but in his old age he got really bitter and bad tempered. I'm not sure when he died. I was really upset when it happened though.

A few years later we inherited an African Grey called Sonny. He was older than both my parents. In the few years we had him before he passed, I must have heard the Addams Family theme music a trillion times.

All running parallel to this was the various farm animals we had as a family. I never gave any of these animals names, because you know, they sole existence was to be fed and well looked after before going into the pot. I've dealt with everything from chicks to horses.

I once got attacked by one of the geese. My Granddad saw to it there and then. It ended upon the dinner table the Sunday after.

My favourite animals to look after were the piglets and lambs. The pigs were just like little dogs really, probably the smartest animal I've ever dealt with. It really is a shame they get as big as they do and make as much mess as they do, otherwise they'd make great pets.

The guy next to the land used to do falconry. He had a few owls and a falcon. He also had a red kite, he was in a program to have them reintegrated back into the wild and only looked after the ones that were past rehabilitating. I always thought he had the coolest pets I'd ever seen. Plus he had balls of steel, how many of you would walk around with a bird on your shoulder that could cause you some very serious damage if it wanted to?

When I was very young-about 5, we looked after a cat who was a stray, Minnie, my dad called her. She had beautiful white kittens. We visited my Granny for the weekend one time and when we got home, the kittens were dead and strewn all over the back garden, their little ears were all bloodstained, I don't know if it was a dog or some of our neighbours who had pigeons who had done it...one of their sons was cruel to cats. I was traumatised. I have no memory of what happened Minnie after that.

We then had an adorable little black and white pup called Bruno who disappeared. Then we had a succession of cats all called Fluffy who all went missing, one after the other. One of them had no tail..maybe a manx cat, I don't know.

Then came our Rusty, a lab/border collie x. He lived 'til he was 14 in '94, I miss him still.

Default Pets

What pets did you own as a child

Cat,Dog,Goldfish,Canary,Budgie

Anyone had anything unusual?

Default What pets did you have

Growing up I had a black & white tom cat,his name was Tommy.Jack Russell named Brandy

Default Re: What pets did you have

As a kid I had a poodle named Ginger and now I have a black cat named Prince Luis of Catalona, aka Louie.

oh my gosh you wouldn't believe what I had when was living at home every thing from pet snakes to horses
    me and my dad had shed full birds dogs chickens you name it we had it lol
    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Quote Originally Posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    As a kid I had a poodle named Ginger and now I have a black cat named Prince Luis of Catalona, aka Louie.
    Posh Cat name

Cats are definitely posh creatures. Louie can be quite the autocrat, especially when he wants cuddle time. LOL