Our Beloved Pets (past and present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Beloved Pets (past and present)

My first pet was a goldfish called Toggle, which died after 9 months. I subsequently went through several more goldfish, calling each one by a letter in Toggle. I had Onion, George and Larry, neither of which survived for longer than a month!

After that I got a budgie called Buddy who I absolutely loved to bits. He lasted 8 years and died when I was 18 and I was absolutely devastated .

When I was 6, my best friend loved rabbits but I never liked them. She had two and had a hutch and a big run for them in the garden but she was forever getting bitten and scratched. One day I was at her house sitting at the bottom of the back stairs and one came bounding down from upstairs and hit me! I'm sure that rabbit still appears in my nightmares!
    1976 Vintage

Re: Pets

My first pet was a hamster called, imaginatively enough, Hammy. My uncle made a fab cage for him that was almost impossible for little hands to open - almost, just enough for me to get it open a crack which he later managed to squeeze out of and get killed by the cat

Comment

Apparently my first pet was a chicken??? I was about 3 or 4 and we lived in Spain and apparently they used to dye chicks different colours and sell them....I had a weird coloured one apparently...can't really remember lol

Omg, found a picture!

Click image for larger version

Name:	colored-chicks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	259782

The pet I do remember was a hamster, I'm sure I called her Cindy! lol I was about 5 or 6 I loved her so much, she was sooo cute! but one day I saw this little pink thing crawling out of her little house and 'Cindy' just grabbed it with her claws and yanked it back in! I told my mum and she didn't believe me, I kept on and on and finally my mum decided to look and our hamster had given birth!! but it was too late, the babys had died, I'll never forget that

Then when I was about 8 or 9 I got a dog, a Lhasa Apso, called Sollitaire but we called him Solly! and we were also looking after my sister's dog Sam, so we had 2! They both lasted a long time! think they were about 16 when they passed away, it was so sad

Then me and my hubby had a few rats but now we just have one baby, which is our gorgeous kitty Roman!

Name:	P170710_15.00.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	259783

Comment

We had a tortoise called Fred. I think we were heavily under the Blue Peter influence lol
        "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

First goldfish Freddie then dog Timmy (after Famous Five dog) who lived until he was 17, then another dog Cindy until 2004 and nothing since. Still like dogs and would love another oneday
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I'm really allergic to cats so I can never have one. I'm more of a dog person but I am a bit allergic to them too so it probably wouldn't be a good idea. I had some fish a couple of years ago. Two died and one grew into a mighty beast that was too big for the tank so I had to send him down the road to a garden pond and he's still going strong. My ultimate pet would be a parrot but they really are for life as they can live up to 70 years. It would probably out live me and I'd worry who it went to afterwards.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I'm allergic to cats and dogs but have one of each atm. Clarityn is my new best friend lol.
              "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

We had dogs as I was growing up but the first pet I was allowed to have for myself was a green/yellow budgie that I called Pickle. Can't recall how long he lived, but certainly a good few years. I also had mice; 'smokey-greys' I think they were called. My brother kept rats which I also loved.

Comment

We had family cats, budgies and goldfish, but my first pet of my own was a guinea pig called Shari ( I named her after Shari Lewis for you older members who remember her).
                  I had her for 7 years, which was a good age for a guinea pig.
                  When I was 12, I spent 4 months in hospital and my parents brought her to visit me every week. I loved her so much and have never forgotten her.
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

its so true tricky but you do get attached to pets.
                    when they pass away its like losing a son or daughter.

pets do become a real member of the family.
                    and it does really hurt when they die.

i only ever had goldfish but i was real sad when it died.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                      We had family cats, budgies and goldfish, but my first pet of my own was a guinea pig called Shari ( I named her after Shari Lewis for you older members who remember her).
                      I had her for 7 years, which was a good age for a guinea pig.
                      When I was 12, I spent 4 months in hospital and my parents brought her to visit me every week. I loved her so much and have never forgotten her.
                      Me and my beloved Shari in 1973.

Name:	img010.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	259851
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Always had animals around me.These were either family pets like the odd cat or dog,or pets that belonged to my brother or sister.The first pets I actually brought myself were two sweet little lady gerbils which I called Bubble and Squeek.They were real fun loving pets always up to no good and getting into mischief.We used to build mazes for them out of ladybird books and let them run around.Lost them both in the early 80's.After I lost them I put in an order with the pet shop for two more ladys,but a week down the line after obtaining them I still could not get on with them,and they smelt quite a lot dispite cleaning regular.When I checked them...they were boys.We had them delivered for a small fee as I was working by then and could not collect them in person or check them out myself when the shop recieved delivery of them.Shop also refused to take them back dispite it was their mistake and the order clearly stated what I required.I did eventually get my money back with a lot of pestering.Funny thing was a mate of mine went in the shop the same week and got two loverly girl gerbils from there that were really friendly...they should of been mine and I think the only two boys that were delivered in the lot he pushed off on me.
                        Went on a budgie spree for a while,but found them more suitable for averies then cages.They eventually went to someone who had a really good set up.
                        Tigana the iguana came along in the 1990's.She was a pet I rescued at the time.We lost her a few months ago at the grand age of 18 years.She was probably older as I did not really known when she was hatched.
                        Would like a couple of rats,but still taking my time to think it over first.

Comment

Never was allowed a pet as a child

My elder sister had a pet budgie before I was born when she was 3 or 4. Well it was 'bought for her'....she said that once, she let it out of the cage as she felt 'sorry for it being in a cage' and it flew up atop the curtain rail. My Dad had to strain to reach and catch it. He then put it back in the cage. My parents felt it was bad to keep an animal in a cage as they were Buddhists and so gave it to friends who had older children.

They did have stray pets stay with them when they lived in Sri Lanka long before me and my sister were born though. Once in a while a cat would 'befriend' them. Once they had a stray they really loved to bits and it kept getting in fights, Dad patched him up once but the second time he got in a serious fight getting the same facial wounds injured very shortly after it all healed up it died. dad tried his best to save him but couldn't. After that they felt the sadness was so painful they wouldn't repeat it hence never getting a pet. That and the pongs, fleas, costs etc.

My great granddad had 2 dogs - one a 'psycho' and the other meak. He also had 2 elephants and their son, a few chickens, rooster and chicks. He was a farmer so he had many animals. His son, my great uncle continued the family farm (in Sri Lanka) and he also had chickens, chicks, the elephants and also wound up with a Nanny Goat who followed him home one day and then surprised him one morning when he saw she'd given birth - to a 3 legged Goat!!! :O

Maybe oneday I'll get a cat or two or a small Dog like in the Cesar dog ads but a black one...depends as they are expensive to care for and I'd like to care for a pet or two properly.

Comment

there have always been cats in our family............i remember my friend having two tortoises that we would race and build assault courses for...........poor things we gave em hell pml

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                              Never was allowed a pet as a child

My elder sister had a pet budgie before I was born when she was 3 or 4. Well it was 'bought for her'....she said that once, she let it out of the cage as she felt 'sorry for it being in a cage' and it flew up atop the curtain rail. My Dad had to strain to reach and catch it. He then put it back in the cage. My parents felt it was bad to keep an animal in a cage as they were Buddhists and so gave it to friends who had older children.

They did have stray pets stay with them when they lived in Sri Lanka long before me and my sister were born though. Once in a while a cat would 'befriend' them. Once they had a stray they really loved to bits and it kept getting in fights, Dad patched him up once but the second time he got in a serious fight getting the same facial wounds injured very shortly after it all healed up it died. dad tried his best to save him but couldn't. After that they felt the sadness was so painful they wouldn't repeat it hence never getting a pet. That and the pongs, fleas, costs etc.

My great granddad had 2 dogs - one a 'psycho' and the other meak. He also had 2 elephants and their son, a few chickens, rooster and chicks. He was a farmer so he had many animals. His son, my great uncle continued the family farm (in Sri Lanka) and he also had chickens, chicks, the elephants and also wound up with a Nanny Goat who followed him home one day and then surprised him one morning when he saw she'd given birth - to a 3 legged Goat!!! :O

Maybe oneday I'll get a cat or two or a small Dog like in the Cesar dog ads but a black one...depends as they are expensive to care for and I'd like to care for a pet or two properly.

i can see why the felt u having a pet would not be good after the cat died as it really upset them and they did not want u going trough the same thing.

im sure though u still wish they had let u get a pet.

although u can see why they never got u one.
                              was it the shock the nanny goat gave birth or gave birth to a 3 legged goat.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X