Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door To Door Sales

Default Door To Door Sales

People selling things door to door is almost a thing of the past, mostly due to people not liking cold calling, & other factors.

I remember encyclopedias were a popular item, often you would sign up to pay in instalments & get a volume at a time.

Does anyone else have memories of items sold this way?
    The Trickster On The Roof

Default Re: Door To Door Sales

In the early 70s I knew of a man (a distant relative of mine) who use to sell material/clothing in a suitcase.
    Soon after he opened a string of shops and became a millionaire.

I think that the reason you don't see them very often now is because: A) people would rather come to you rather than let you go to them if they want to purchase something; B) technology such as online shopping has made it easier to but things you want straightaway - for example, even the milkman has made himself scarce in recent years - the Coop still does milk, in their supermarkets of course; and: C) it would be seen as harassment these days if you stand on someone's doorstep, knock on the door and harass someone into purchasing items that they don't want - and it was usually feather dusters and mops as well. Not quite the same thing, but Jehovah's Witnesses come to mind as well - don't answer the door whatever you do!

Obviously, the postman, gasman, booked appointments such as plumbers and all that don't count. I suppose that the irony is that as I do online shopping with Tesco these days, I do get my milk, bread and other items delivered, and that is indeed welcome. I suppose that mail order catalogues were similar - my late mother was an agent for one in the 1970s and 1980s and she used to get commission on purchases, etc. We had a few customers who lived a couple of streets away who made weekly payments on items, and they had to visit our home because of that.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

The double glazed reps have been around but I think most people dont bother answering doors for obvious reasons

I remember there was a worry about schemes to get people into work by selling door to door, especially as some were ex-prisoners or else people with disabilities.

I have to admit that I would hate it if I was "cold called" by a doorstep salesman - it's like the gas and electricity companies doing the same like they did in the early 2000s - they knocked on my door so often that I almost had a different utility supplier for each day of the week.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember there was a worry about schemes to get people into work by selling door to door, especially as some were ex-prisoners or else people with disabilities.
    This reminds me of the time my nan received a letter asking her would she like her garden mowed and cleaned up by people who are on court ordered community service, i rang the number on the letter and informed them my nan has her own means of doing her garden and does not require the services of convicted criminals.
    I was shocked really that elderly people were picked out to receive this service.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I have to admit that I would hate it if I was "cold called" by a doorstep salesman - it's like the gas and electricity companies doing the same like they did in the early 2000s - they knocked on my door so often that I almost had a different utility supplier for each day of the week.
    Yes and if you were to open the door to them,they would not take no I am not interested.Have to slam the door in their faces to be shot of them

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggy14 View Post
    This reminds me of the time my nan received a letter asking her would she like her garden mowed and cleaned up by people who are on court ordered community service, i rang the number on the letter and informed them my nan has her own means of doing her garden and does not require the services of convicted criminals.
    I was shocked really that elderly people were picked out to receive this service.
    I remember there was an episode of Juliey Bravo where YTS students were doing a similar service, but one of them was using it to stake out house to rob & ruined it for all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
    Yes and if you were to open the door to them,they would not take no I am not interested.Have to slam the door in their faces to be shot of them
    It takes guts to do just that, but I managed to do that a few times.