Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Beloved Pets (past and present)

Default Our Beloved Pets (past and present)

My first pet was a goldfish called Toggle, which died after 9 months. I subsequently went through several more goldfish, calling each one by a letter in Toggle. I had Onion, George and Larry, neither of which survived for longer than a month!

After that I got a budgie called Buddy who I absolutely loved to bits. He lasted 8 years and died when I was 18 and I was absolutely devastated .

When I was 6, my best friend loved rabbits but I never liked them. She had two and had a hutch and a big run for them in the garden but she was forever getting bitten and scratched. One day I was at her house sitting at the bottom of the back stairs and one came bounding down from upstairs and hit me! I'm sure that rabbit still appears in my nightmares!
    1976 Vintage

ClaudineJones Guest

Default Re: Pets

My first pet was a hamster called, imaginatively enough, Hammy. My uncle made a fab cage for him that was almost impossible for little hands to open - almost, just enough for me to get it open a crack which he later managed to squeeze out of and get killed by the cat

Apparently my first pet was a chicken??? I was about 3 or 4 and we lived in Spain and apparently they used to dye chicks different colours and sell them....I had a weird coloured one apparently...can't really remember lol

Omg, found a picture!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colored-chicks.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	2896

The pet I do remember was a hamster, I'm sure I called her Cindy! lol I was about 5 or 6 I loved her so much, she was sooo cute! but one day I saw this little pink thing crawling out of her little house and 'Cindy' just grabbed it with her claws and yanked it back in! I told my mum and she didn't believe me, I kept on and on and finally my mum decided to look and our hamster had given birth!! but it was too late, the babys had died, I'll never forget that

Then when I was about 8 or 9 I got a dog, a Lhasa Apso, called Sollitaire but we called him Solly! and we were also looking after my sister's dog Sam, so we had 2! They both lasted a long time! think they were about 16 when they passed away, it was so sad

Then me and my hubby had a few rats but now we just have one baby, which is our gorgeous kitty Roman!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P170710_15.00.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	2897

We had a tortoise called Fred. I think we were heavily under the Blue Peter influence lol
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

First goldfish Freddie then dog Timmy (after Famous Five dog) who lived until he was 17, then another dog Cindy until 2004 and nothing since. Still like dogs and would love another oneday
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

I'm really allergic to cats so I can never have one. I'm more of a dog person but I am a bit allergic to them too so it probably wouldn't be a good idea. I had some fish a couple of years ago. Two died and one grew into a mighty beast that was too big for the tank so I had to send him down the road to a garden pond and he's still going strong. My ultimate pet would be a parrot but they really are for life as they can live up to 70 years. It would probably out live me and I'd worry who it went to afterwards.
    1976 Vintage

I'm allergic to cats and dogs but have one of each atm. Clarityn is my new best friend lol.
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

We had dogs as I was growing up but the first pet I was allowed to have for myself was a green/yellow budgie that I called Pickle. Can't recall how long he lived, but certainly a good few years. I also had mice; 'smokey-greys' I think they were called. My brother kept rats which I also loved.

We had family cats, budgies and goldfish, but my first pet of my own was a guinea pig called Shari ( I named her after Shari Lewis for you older members who remember her).
    I had her for 7 years, which was a good age for a guinea pig.
    When I was 12, I spent 4 months in hospital and my parents brought her to visit me every week. I loved her so much and have never forgotten her.

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

its so true tricky but you do get attached to pets.
    when they pass away its like losing a son or daughter.

pets do become a real member of the family.
    and it does really hurt when they die.

i only ever had goldfish but i was real sad when it died.