The best CBBC and CITV programmes from the 1980s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best CBBC and CITV programmes from the 1980s

What do you think were the best two CBBC and two CITV programme from the 1980s? One of the programmes (for each channel) has to be a cartoon and the other not a cartoon.

Re: The best CBBC and CITV programmes from the 1980s

CBBC:

CARTOON: Tom and Jerry (if that counts as it was also shown outside CBBC at weekends)
    NON-CARTOON: Grange Hill

CITV:

CARTOON: He Man (or She Ra)
    NON-CARTOON: Do It (that Sheelagh Gilbey series from TVS)

For the cartoon, I was going to add Scooby Doo, but the series had crossed over from CBBC to CITV and back again over the years, so it makes it difficult as to which channel it would be listed on.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

CBBC/BBC Non Cartoon - Grange Hill

CBBC/BBC Cartoon type thing - Super Ted

ITV/CITV Non Cartoon Childrens Ward

Cartoon - Sooty or Rainbow, as though both are'nt Cartoons they are as near or failing that Birtha if she was on ITV!

Comment

There were animated sections on Rainbow, and apart from the Friday (later Tuesday) repeat, although it wasn't a cartoon as such - because of that I didn't regard Rainbow as being a CITV programme (as in the 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm slot) as a first run programme.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Knightmare on CITV could technically fit into both categories. It's an animated gameshow.

Comment

My CITV cartoon would probably be Dangermouse.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Not all that many replies...

CBBC Cartoon: Ulysses 31 and The Mysterious Cities of Gold.
              CBBC Non cartoon: I don't have very many of them but The Really Wild Show stands out as particularly impressive.

CITV Cartoon: He Man or She Ra. My collection and list of CITV cartoons is far from complete. Was Dungeons and Dragons shown on CITV or not?
              CITV Non cartoon: Knightmare or for a non-animated programme Press Gang. I have even fewer CITV non cartoons than CBBC non cartoons. Other worthy programmes include Worldwise and Knights of God.

Comment

One thing that CITV was better at doing in the 1980s was getting some of the stars from the programmes to actually be continuity announcers for a whole month - Rod Hull and Emu were probably the best ones to do that (they did it in December 1985). I am certain that there were points when they introduced their own programmes although I believe that they mostly did this when their own series were not on the air.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

CITV started all the continuity. CBBC with the broom cupboard did not exist until a few years later in September 1985 although the BBC showed a block of children's programmes without the continuity before then. The first broadcast of Dogtanian by the BBC during 1985 means that it isn't strictly a CBBC programme although for the purpose of this discussion we can go back to 1980 and also cover Watch It! on ITV.

Comment

I remember BBC1 using a set of literally basic (!) computer animated characters (generated by a BBC Micro) to introduce programmes for a couple of years before the Broom Cupboard.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Continuity is very 1980s and early 90s before satellite channels for children's programmes took off.

CBBC and CITV (on BBC1 and ITV1) after school were still quite popular when I was a kid although I missed the golden era when millions of kids would sit in front of the TV and watch the same programmes because of the limited number of hours devoted to children's programmes during the course of a day.

I think that CBBC and CITV were not as good in the late 1990s and early 2000s as they were in the 1980s although I have made the comparison using a limited number of programmes from this era.

Comment

HERE IS A SUPERB SHOW.

https://youtu.be/n9jmNVPHirQ

OTHERS ARE KNIGHTMARE ITV
                        THUNDERCATS BBC
                        GRANGE HILL BBC

SUPERTED AND BANANAMAN BBC

BUTTON MOON AND RAINBOW ITV

SOOTY ITV

LAT NINETIES AND EARLY 2000'S WHERE PROB NOT JUST AS GOOD CERTAINLY GRANGE HILL WAS NOT AS GOOD DURING THAT TIME.

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                        Continuity is very 1980s and early 90s before satellite channels for children's programmes took off.

CBBC and CITV (on BBC1 and ITV1) after school were still quite popular when I was a kid although I missed the golden era when millions of kids would sit in front of the TV and watch the same programmes because of the limited number of hours devoted to children's programmes during the course of a day.

I think that CBBC and CITV were not as good in the late 1990s and early 2000s as they were in the 1980s although I have made the comparison using a limited number of programmes from this era.
                        Last edited by darren; 02-02-2019, 12:41.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                        X