RIP George Bush Snr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP George Bush Snr

George Bush Snr - the ex President of America passed away at the weekend aged 94 years old

Though George Jumior was controversial as Preseident I had forgot ghow great George Snr was as President (or more-ever I was too young to recall George Senior's very short stint as President - though I recall bits of it)

It was often said by many people I know, that Georege Snr far outweighed George Jnr as President (which is right I think as the elder George even managed to mellow Maggie Thatcher - which was some feat)

Though gven George Bush Snr's role under, who I felt was the Greatest American President ever in Ronald Regan goes far to explaining George Senior's popularity i would say

RIP George Bush Senior

Re: RIP George Bush Snr

Yes, never a fan of the GOP (especially the orange one who cannot be named!!! ) but many people, better informed than I, admired George Senior's skills.

George Junior, well...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Coming after the very charismatic and largely popular Ronald Reagan, I thought that Bush was in his shadow a bit. He really had an uphill job to win a second term as president. Three terms (2 Reagan, 1 Bush) was unusual, getting 4 straight Republican terms would be very difficult, especially when he was up against the youthful and appealing Clinton. There is also the infamous "Read my lips. No new taxes" quote which dogged him and was a stick with which his opponents could beat him.

There was a plot to kill Bush after the Gulf War and Clinton ordered a cruise missile strike as a punishment. Actually, after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, Bush was unsure whether to liberate the country. It is said that Margaret Thatcher stiffened his resolve to drive Saddam's forces from Kuwait.

Coming between Reagan and Clinton, both 2-term presidents and very media-savvy, Bush's contributions are sometimes overlooked, and I believe he was the last president to have served in WW2.

Comment

Bush senior did represent Reagan's "third term" if you know what I mean - but I think that he only served one term because Clinton looked modern and fresh for the 1990s. Almost too fresh when you think about it...
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          Bush senior did represent Reagan's "third term" if you know what I mean - but I think that he only served one term because Clinton looked modern and fresh for the 1990s. Almost too fresh when you think about it...
          I've heard Bush Sr's time as president called that before.

While he managed to handle important situations like the end of the Cold War & The invasion & liberation of Kuwait well, there were many that didn't go so smoothly.

Certainly by his last year in power he was looking out of touch & Dan Quayle's frequent gaffes were becoming an embarrassment.

Bill Clinton ran a very effective campaign, advertising on MTV & targeting areas of the electorate previously untapped.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Bush's defeat was celebrated by REM in their single Drive - "Smack, crack, Bush whacked"
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
            X