Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video v DVD - making the transition

Default Re: Video v DVD - making the transition

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I don't think it would work for myself.
    Change is good sometimes , George

I was as happy as Larry with our Sky set up then one day our son in law called around .. he asked if he could put a lead from the Sky box to out BT Hub but I was proper nervous !!!

Five minutes later we suddenly had access to thousands of free movies and box sets !!

I dabbled with a DVD recorder a few years ago quickly abandoned it as it was such a nightmare . Even then the flamin recorded DVDs didn't always work so well ..

You may have better luck of course.

Soooo have you tried YouTube for video clips , old TV series etcetc ?

Suppose the joy of dvds is that they can now be bought for a quid each in charity shops
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Change is good sometimes , George

I was as happy as Larry with our Sky set up then one day our son in law called around .. he asked if he could put a lead from the Sky box to out BT Hub but I was proper nervous !!!

Five minutes later we suddenly had access to thousands of free movies and box sets !!

I dabbled with a DVD recorder a few years ago quickly abandoned it as it was such a nightmare . Even then the flamin recorded DVDs didn't always work so well ..

You may have better luck of course.

Soooo have you tried YouTube for video clips , old TV series etcetc ?
    Thanks for the warning.

I do use YouTube every day, but there's nothing quite satisfying than recording something yourself and thinking that you are the only person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.

I have just bid on some E300 tapes on eBay a few days ago - if I win it, I might be persuaded to stay with my VCR a while longer.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Thanks for the warning.

I do use YouTube every day, but there's nothing quite satisfying than recording something yourself and thinking that you are the only person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.

I have just bid on some E300 tapes on eBay a few days ago - if I win it, I might be persuaded to stay with my VCR a while longer.
    We'll being a perfectionist myself I'm afraid that the picture quality of videos just doesn't cut-it for me .

I don't watch anything in SD on the telly only HD ..

I do like sports, documentaries etc which benefit from a clear picture .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I recall I use to have a dvd player that was able to play dvds for different regions. I had to type in a special code to access a particular region. Sadly, later tge player started giving me problems.
    I wanted to purchase a dvd box set, but it was region 1. My current player is region 2 only.
    It is so irritating having different regions for various Continents. Why is it necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    I recall I use to have a dvd player that was able to play dvds for different regions. I had to type in a special code to access a particular region. Sadly, later tge player started giving me problems.
    I wanted to purchase a dvd box set, but it was region 1. My current player is region 2 only.
    It is so irritating having different regions for various Continents. Why is it necessary?
    The region coding was supposed to control the releases worldwide due to rights issues & stop piracy.

On most players it's fairly easy to look up how to disable the region coding, I've been able to do it on all 3 players I've owned.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Isn't there a Region 0 which is neutral - in other words, anyone in the world can use it? I believe that Region 1 could be United States only.

When I got some DVD of a well known series ten years ago, I was aware of the regional (or should I say national) variation of the different Region codes, and I went down to actually quoting my Post Code to the seller to make sure that it was compatible for where I live!
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Yes region 1 is usa. I wanted to purchase a dvd of the Amerucan comdey series Barney Miller

Isn't there a Region 0 which is neutral - in other words, anyone in the world can use it? I believe that Region 1 could be United States only.

When I got some DVD of a well known series ten years ago, I was aware of the regional (or should I say national) variation of the different Region codes, and I went down to actually quoting my Post Code to the seller to make sure that it was compatible for where I live!
    Yes I have 1-2 DVDs that are Region 0 some DVDs sold by smaller suppliers use this so they don't have to press up ones different regions.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Default Video v DVD - making the transition

Thanks for the warning.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as recording something yourself and thinking that you are the ONLY person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.
    That sounds a bit like me in a way ... I like being different and even 'appearing' to be different and yet I despise LOOKING different so I always wear dark or grey coloured clothes and I'd never wear anything brightly coloured that would draw attention to myself in public .

It's quite a contradiction that I don't really understand. ..

One of my hobbies / obsessions is keeping snakes which done for ages ... I like it that people are stunned when they learn that this quiet , shy , introvert guy has a collection of snakes at home ..

I even take it a step further as I soon grew tired of owning the usual types of snakes and so I have an extraordinary collection of unusual yet very desirable snakes ( desirable to other snake lovers lol ).

Here's one of mine .. very tame of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 10-12-2018 at 04:32.