Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Video v DVD - making the transition

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
    I recall I use to have a dvd player that was able to play dvds for different regions. I had to type in a special code to access a particular region. Sadly, later tge player started giving me problems.
    I wanted to purchase a dvd box set, but it was region 1. My current player is region 2 only.
    It is so irritating having different regions for various Continents. Why is it necessary?
    The region coding was supposed to control the releases worldwide due to rights issues & stop piracy.

On most players it's fairly easy to look up how to disable the region coding, I've been able to do it on all 3 players I've owned.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Isn't there a Region 0 which is neutral - in other words, anyone in the world can use it? I believe that Region 1 could be United States only.

When I got some DVD of a well known series ten years ago, I was aware of the regional (or should I say national) variation of the different Region codes, and I went down to actually quoting my Post Code to the seller to make sure that it was compatible for where I live!
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yes region 1 is usa. I wanted to purchase a dvd of the Amerucan comdey series Barney Miller

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          Isn't there a Region 0 which is neutral - in other words, anyone in the world can use it? I believe that Region 1 could be United States only.

When I got some DVD of a well known series ten years ago, I was aware of the regional (or should I say national) variation of the different Region codes, and I went down to actually quoting my Post Code to the seller to make sure that it was compatible for where I live!
          Yes I have 1-2 DVDs that are Region 0 some DVDs sold by smaller suppliers use this so they don't have to press up ones different regions.

Comment

Video v DVD - making the transition

Thanks for the warning. [emoji4]

There's nothing quite as satisfying as recording something yourself and thinking that you are the ONLY person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.
            That sounds a bit like me in a way ... I like being different and even 'appearing' to be different and yet I despise LOOKING different so I always wear dark or grey coloured clothes and I'd never wear anything brightly coloured that would draw attention to myself in public .

It's quite a contradiction that I don't really understand. ..

One of my hobbies / obsessions is keeping snakes which done for ages ... I like it that people are stunned when they learn that this quiet , shy , introvert guy has a collection of snakes at home ..

I even take it a step further as I soon grew tired of owning the usual types of snakes and so I have an extraordinary collection of unusual yet very desirable snakes ( desirable to other snake lovers lol ).

Here's one of mine .. very tame of course [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Zincubus; 10-12-2018, 04:32.

Comment

The one above is 7 foot long , very strong yet very gentle [emoji4]

Comment

Fascinating creatures, my neighbour once kept a huge snake outside in his garden shed, i assumed it was heated. he said it was a python and asked if i would like to put it around my neck and shoulders, i said yes and it weighed about the same as a bus, a week or so later we spoke over the garden fence and i enquired about the python, he explained that it was in actual fact a boa constrictor and that he had given it away to a more experienced keeper. i dodged a bullet there me thinks!
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I am still scratching my head as to what snakes have to do with videos or DVDs.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I am still scratching my head as to what snakes have to do with videos or DVDs.
                    My apologies ... you'll have to indulge me now and again

I tried to explain in my post #20
                    ( the bit I quoted of yours and the first paragraph of mine ....

Basically we're both Aspie's , both like being kinda different and both obsessive..for starters

Last edited by Zincubus; 10-12-2018, 21:23.

Comment

Don't worry - no need to apologise.

I have let my family know that I might want to modernise - I shall still soldier on with my VCR if all else fails.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I did get my DVD recorder for Christmas - when I get it out of the box, I will connect it up with my existing VCR via a lead of course, (and presumably a SCART socket), and hopefully I will get the best of both worlds.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have had a VCR since 1980 and a DVD recorder since around 2007. My personal experience with the DVD recorder was that I recorded far less than with the VCR as I found the process more cumbersome and less convenient. Of course, that may well have been that particular model of recorder and more modern ones I would hope are more user friendly, but the manual for the one I have is quite thick and I found that operating it was not that intuitive. For instance, after recording a tape you just stop it and eject, but with the DVD recorder you could not just eject, but first have to go into the menus and 'close' the DVD, because if you just eject it then it will not play. I also had trouble re-recording on DVD writables. I couldn't get my machine to consistently overwrite a recording so resorted to only using DVDRs, so I had to make sure the DVD was full prior to closing and ejecting. Again, hopefully modern machines are better and more user friendly. The one big advantage that I found recording on DVDs had was that storage space required was far smaller than for storing tapes. We now have a hard drive recorder, so the DVD recorder is more usually used nowadays as a player.

Please let us know how you get on with your new DVD recorder, George.

Comment

The one thing I've liked with everybody moving from VHS to DVD is so many people are selling their used tapes as blanks on Ebay. Years ago I bought a load of used Scotch tapes from Ebay to see if there might be anything interesting on them so that I could transfer them onto DVD. Apart from a documentary series about TV advertising in the 50's/60's and some Dad's Army stuff I didn't gleam that much out of them. I have been tempted to buy some more but I suppose it's pot luck with what you'll find on the tapes.

Comment

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                              The one thing I've liked with everybody moving from VHS to DVD is so many people are selling their used tapes as blanks on Ebay. Years ago I bought a load of used Scotch tapes from Ebay to see if there might be anything interesting on them so that I could transfer them onto DVD. Apart from a documentary series about TV advertising in the 50's/60's and some Dad's Army stuff I didn't gleam that much out of them. I have been tempted to buy some more but I suppose it's pot luck with what you'll find on the tapes.
                              I managed to pick up some from my local Tesco's VHS exchange table, which mostly had pre-recorded tapes but also some home recorded ones.

So far I've only had time to look through 1, some fairly interesting stuff but nothing really amazing yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                                I managed to pick up some from my local Tesco's VHS exchange table, which mostly had pre-recorded tapes but also some home recorded ones.

So far I've only had time to look through 1, some fairly interesting stuff but nothing really amazing yet.
                                You may find some “home movies “

Comment

Working...
                                X