Video v DVD - making the transition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video v DVD - making the transition

I know that I am a bit slow on the uptake, technology wise, but at long last, I am thinking about modernising at long last and thinking about getting a DVD recorder (well, I am thinking about asking a relative to get me one as a Christmas present). I know that still having a VCR now is like someone in 1988 still having and using a black and white television set, but I have resisted in recent years because I have got so used to video and have at least 100 tapes which obviously cannot work on a DVD player unless it has a VCR built in (or the other way round). I suppose that I don't want to leave all that behind which is what I would be doing if I permanently switched to DVD.

I have had a DVD player in the past but not one that records, and any DVDs I play at the moment would be on my computer - I have been looking on the Currys PC World website (emailing the link from that website to my relative), and the difference between those that record and those that just play DVDs are more than apparent with regards to the price. I saw one for sale that gave 250 hours (ten days non-stop if you like) recording SD, the equivalent of over 40 E180 videotapes on LP. I suppose that I have a bit of anxiety when it comes to technology and that I often have a "better the devil you know" approach towards it. As VCRs are mostly a 1980s and 1990s thing, it would certainly fall under the scope of this forum!

I have a feeling that I will still be putting the Queen's Christmas Speech and Big Ben striking midnight onto video again rather than DVD like I have done for the past two decades - being baffled over instruction manuals over Christmas is not quite my own idea of enjoying myself, but on the other hand, if I can find my way around my own computer without any fuss, I suppose that I would have nothing to worry about at the end of the day.

Does anyone think that it is worth making the transition to DVD recording? I know that I am at least 15 years behind everyone else...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Video v DVD - making the transition

Wow ... I struggle wading through masses of text

George .. I'm not even sure you need to go down the route of DVD recordings- it's something I've never fancied myself ..

As you know I'm also obsessive about certain things ... music / movies / football / boxing / general sport / motor sport etc

I don't want to answer your issues specifically as I don't feel as though I can ...

Sooo I will disclose how I cope with the need / desire to have everything that interests me instantly available to view .

I basically cover all bases by paying for the full Sky package plus NetFlix . I buy all my favourite movies and box sets very cheaply off eBay ... I pay a Russian based music site for any music tracks / albums - ridiculously cheap as well - the tracks are downloaded and burnt onto CDs ..

Finally anything else is on YouTube it just takes patience and perseverance ( something we both excel at ) to find what you want ..
    There's very few things you can't find to be honest ..for example .. I've taken the liberty of searching YouTube for the Queen's Speeches and they are available ( in glorious HD) ..

Enjoy
    https://youtu.be/mBRP-o6Q85s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Streamings the way to go these days, buy a amazon firestick and install a free streaming service (i recommend Morpheus) installation instructions are available on youtube.
      Once done you have all the movies and tv shows you can possibly imagine FREE OF CHARGE and lawfully, the occasional buffering you have to endure is far outweighed by the thousands of free movies and shows at your fingertips
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGV2mZ28aw
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
        Streamings the way to go these days, buy a amazon firestick and install a free streaming service (i recommend Morpheus) installation instructions are available on youtube.
        Once done you have all the movies and tv shows you can possibly imagine FREE OF CHARGE and lawfully, the occasional buffering you have to endure is far outweighed by the thousands of free movies and shows at your fingertips
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGV2mZ28aw
        How do they get away with it all being free ??

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
          How do they get away with it all being free ??

Because you are not trying to own just watch, illegal to upload/download but not to stream. Be aware that streaming sites get shut down regularly but there is usually another along a bit like the buses

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
            Because you are not trying to own just watch, illegal to upload/download but not to stream. Be aware that streaming sites get shut down regularly but there is usually another along a bit like the buses
            Ahh

Comment

Wow ... I struggle wading through masses of text

George .. I'm not even sure you need to go down the route of DVD recordings- it's something I've never fancied myself ..
              I just love being detailed in my writing - it makes things exciting and interesting.

I do feel left behind sometimes - I often wonder whether it would cause embarrassment if I said to people that I still use a VCR. Even I still use cassette tapes for example.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                I just love being detailed in my writing - it makes things exciting and interesting.

I do feel left behind sometimes - I often wonder whether it would cause embarrassment if I said to people that I still use a VCR. Even I still use cassette tapes for example.
                Maybe consider some of the things we've suggested ??

Comment

Maybe consider some of the things we've suggested ??

I don't think it would work for myself.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have a DVD recorder.

Recording quality is ok, but very blurred around the edges.
                    Jeep Swenson January 5th 1957 - August 18 1997.

Comment

I don't think it would work for myself.
                      Change is good sometimes , George

I was as happy as Larry with our Sky set up then one day our son in law called around .. he asked if he could put a lead from the Sky box to out BT Hub but I was proper nervous !!!

Five minutes later we suddenly had access to thousands of free movies and box sets !!

I dabbled with a DVD recorder a few years ago quickly abandoned it as it was such a nightmare . Even then the flamin recorded DVDs didn't always work so well ..

You may have better luck of course.

Soooo have you tried YouTube for video clips , old TV series etcetc ?

Comment

Suppose the joy of dvds is that they can now be bought for a quid each in charity shops

Comment

Change is good sometimes , George

I was as happy as Larry with our Sky set up then one day our son in law called around .. he asked if he could put a lead from the Sky box to out BT Hub but I was proper nervous !!!

Five minutes later we suddenly had access to thousands of free movies and box sets !!

I dabbled with a DVD recorder a few years ago quickly abandoned it as it was such a nightmare . Even then the flamin recorded DVDs didn't always work so well ..

You may have better luck of course.

Soooo have you tried YouTube for video clips , old TV series etcetc ?
                          Thanks for the warning.

I do use YouTube every day, but there's nothing quite satisfying than recording something yourself and thinking that you are the only person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.

I have just bid on some E300 tapes on eBay a few days ago - if I win it, I might be persuaded to stay with my VCR a while longer.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thanks for the warning.

I do use YouTube every day, but there's nothing quite satisfying than recording something yourself and thinking that you are the only person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.

I have just bid on some E300 tapes on eBay a few days ago - if I win it, I might be persuaded to stay with my VCR a while longer.
                            We'll being a perfectionist myself I'm afraid that the picture quality of videos just doesn't cut-it for me .

I don't watch anything in SD on the telly only HD ..

I do like sports, documentaries etc which benefit from a clear picture .

Comment

I recall I use to have a dvd player that was able to play dvds for different regions. I had to type in a special code to access a particular region. Sadly, later tge player started giving me problems.
                              I wanted to purchase a dvd box set, but it was region 1. My current player is region 2 only.
                              It is so irritating having different regions for various Continents. Why is it necessary?

Comment

Working...
                              X