Broadsword calling Danny boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadsword calling Danny boy

I read a book recently called 'Broadsword calling Danny boy' about the film Where Eagles Dare. It is a humorous book about the scenes from the film. Taking the 'mick' but respecting the brilliance of the film.

I recall the first time I watched this film was, of all places at school in 1981. It was my last year at school and since it was approaching Christmas, the school decided to show the film in the hall on a large screen. I cannot recall if it was played on vcr or on a 8mm/16mm film reel. Nevertheless, this film is my favourite war movie. I hope others agree, it is the best war movie.

Re: Broadsword calling Danny boy

Not heard of this film, had a look on IMDB and no reference found, The great escape is my fave.
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
      I read a book recently called 'Broadsword calling Danny boy' about the film Where Eagles Dare. It is a humorous book about the scenes from the film. Taking the 'mick' but respecting the brilliance of the film.

I recall the first time I watched this film was, of all places at school in 1981. It was my last year at school and since it was approaching Christmas, the school decided to show the film in the hall on a large screen. I cannot recall if it was played on vcr or on a 8mm/16mm film reel. Nevertheless, this film is my favourite war movie. I hope others agree, it is the best war movie.
      Absolutely agree - fantastic film. I've seen it way too many times but will still watch it again when it's on.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
        Not heard of this film, had a look on IMDB and no reference found, The great escape is my fave.
        What!
        Where Eagles Dare.
        The film must in IMDB. If it is not there then the website needs to be taken down....and fast.

Comment

Where Eagles Dare, yes, one of the best war films ever made. I saw it at the cinema when it was first released and I was around 7 or 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post

Where Eagles Dare is the infiltration by a German platoon into a small English town if memory serves. Michael Caine. Yes a good film. Other excellent war films are The Great Escape, Colditz, Tora , Tora Tora and Midway. I saw a remake of The Wooden Hse the other day. About a group of Brit POWs who escape their German confines using a wooden vaulting horse as cover. Film was adapted from the novel by Australian Paul Brickhill if not mistaken. He also wrote The Great Escape and two other great war films Reach For the Sky and The Dam Busters.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
              Where Eagles Dare is the infiltration by a German platoon into a small English town if memory serves.
              No, that’s The Eagle has Landed
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                I’d try searching again
                https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0065207/?ref=m_nv_sr_1
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                  MY BAD, i was searching a film called broadsword calling danny boy, ofcourse this is in fact a book
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    Where Eagles Dare, yes, one of the best war films ever made. I saw it at the cinema when it was first released and I was around 7 or 8.
                    Me too, I would have been 5
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I suppose when you think of Burton's fellow actors in the film most of the performances are fairly wooden.

It just goes to highlight what a fantastic job he did. Of course the story and location/atmosphere helped a lot.

It's an Alistair MacLean novel of course, along with The Guns of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra and Bear Island, which all have some common themes (ie who is the traitor?), but this one is the best of the adaptations.

Comment

In Maclean's novels there is often the theme of the hero either being not quite what he seems or knowing more than is apparent from the text.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          In Maclean's novels there is often the theme of the hero either being not quite what he seems or knowing more than is apparent from the text.
                          Yes! Fear Is The Key is a great example of that!
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                          X