Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadsword calling Danny boy

Default Broadsword calling Danny boy

I read a book recently called 'Broadsword calling Danny boy' about the film Where Eagles Dare. It is a humorous book about the scenes from the film. Taking the 'mick' but respecting the brilliance of the film.

I recall the first time I watched this film was, of all places at school in 1981. It was my last year at school and since it was approaching Christmas, the school decided to show the film in the hall on a large screen. I cannot recall if it was played on vcr or on a 8mm/16mm film reel. Nevertheless, this film is my favourite war movie. I hope others agree, it is the best war movie.

Default Re: Broadsword calling Danny boy

Not heard of this film, had a look on IMDB and no reference found, The great escape is my fave.
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    I read a book recently called 'Broadsword calling Danny boy' about the film Where Eagles Dare. It is a humorous book about the scenes from the film. Taking the 'mick' but respecting the brilliance of the film.

I recall the first time I watched this film was, of all places at school in 1981. It was my last year at school and since it was approaching Christmas, the school decided to show the film in the hall on a large screen. I cannot recall if it was played on vcr or on a 8mm/16mm film reel. Nevertheless, this film is my favourite war movie. I hope others agree, it is the best war movie.
    Absolutely agree - fantastic film. I've seen it way too many times but will still watch it again when it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Not heard of this film, had a look on IMDB and no reference found, The great escape is my fave.
    What!
    Where Eagles Dare.
    The film must in IMDB. If it is not there then the website needs to be taken down....and fast.

Where Eagles Dare, yes, one of the best war films ever made. I saw it at the cinema when it was first released and I was around 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post

Where Eagles Dare is the infiltration by a German platoon into a small English town if memory serves. Michael Caine. Yes a good film. Other excellent war films are The Great Escape, Colditz, Tora , Tora Tora and Midway. I saw a remake of The Wooden Hse the other day. About a group of Brit POWs who escape their German confines using a wooden vaulting horse as cover. Film was adapted from the novel by Australian Paul Brickhill if not mistaken. He also wrote The Great Escape and two other great war films Reach For the Sky and The Dam Busters.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Where Eagles Dare is the infiltration by a German platoon into a small English town if memory serves.
    No, that’s The Eagle has Landed
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I’d try searching again
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0065207/?ref=m_nv_sr_1
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Quote Originally Posted by HG View Post
    MY BAD, i was searching a film called broadsword calling danny boy, ofcourse this is in fact a book
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Where Eagles Dare, yes, one of the best war films ever made. I saw it at the cinema when it was first released and I was around 7 or 8.
    Me too, I would have been 5
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!