Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First video game console?

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    My first was a Sega Master System. I've seen ads for various Sega and Nintendo console emulation boxes that can be bought with games built in. My son's gf bought him a SNES emulation box for Christmas and I will be interested to find out what the emulation quality is like.
    I've long been tempted to get myself a Raspberry Pi and get some retro gaming going.

Comment

I've barely bought any proper retro games since I got my Retropie, so much easier to play andn my kids can't break my original consoles (as the three year old loves playing Sonic).

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
        We got Master System .. with Alex Kidd built in

Went on to get Castle of Illusion which had all the family addicted ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My first console was the Atari 2600 that I got for my 12th birthday. It was the newer black and silver one. I got some money that day too and the local game shop had a massive collection of 2600 games. My parents went into town and I gave them the money to get me another game. I said "don't get Pole Position" and they came back with Pole Position and a great little shooter called Megamania. Not that Pole Position was a bad game, it was I had played it to death at a friends house.

It was bought from Argos and was supposed to come with Centipede, but mine came with Joust and was a much better game and 2 player. Six months later for Christmas I got the Master System and WOW, what an upgrade. It was the last of the old design Master System and came with Alex Kidd, and my parents bought me Golden Axe.

Golden Axe because it was a good game had good playground value. Once I got back to school I swapped it with a mate for a loan of his Castle of Illusion. I remember reading about Castle of Illusion in Mean Machines and it looked fantastic, couldn't wait to play it.

I was really disappointed when I found out that the Japanese Master System came with an enhanced Yamaha sound chip that gave it sound almost as good as the Mega Drive. Arcade games like Outrun, R Type, Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier all sound amazing with the FM sound chip. I would rather have paid a bit extra for a Master System with the Yamaha FM sound chip than pay the extra £20 for the Master System Plus that came with a light gun and game you play about twice before getting quickly bored with it.

Sadly I don't have a Master System in my collection now but I have the Master System converter for my Mega Drive and about 30 games. A lot of my Master System games are FM chip compatible so I think I'll get myself a Japanese Master System at some point. Need an adapter though because the Japanese cartridges are a different shape. No regional lock outs on the Master System, unlike snidey Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
          My first console was the Atari 2600 that I got for my 12th birthday. It was the newer black and silver one. I got some money that day too and the local game shop had a massive collection of 2600 games. My parents went into town and I gave them the money to get me another game. I said "don't get Pole Position" and they came back with Pole Position and a great little shooter called Megamania. Not that Pole Position was a bad game, it was I had played it to death at a friends house.

It was bought from Argos and was supposed to come with Centipede, but mine came with Joust and was a much better game and 2 player. Six months later for Christmas I got the Master System and WOW, what an upgrade. It was the last of the old design Master System and came with Alex Kidd, and my parents bought me Golden Axe.

Golden Axe because it was a good game had good playground value. Once I got back to school I swapped it with a mate for a loan of his Castle of Illusion. I remember reading about Castle of Illusion in Mean Machines and it looked fantastic, couldn't wait to play it.

I was really disappointed when I found out that the Japanese Master System came with an enhanced Yamaha sound chip that gave it sound almost as good as the Mega Drive. Arcade games like Outrun, R Type, Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier all sound amazing with the FM sound chip. I would rather have paid a bit extra for a Master System with the Yamaha FM sound chip than pay the extra £20 for the Master System Plus that came with a light gun and game you play about twice before getting quickly bored with it.

Sadly I don't have a Master System in my collection now but I have the Master System converter for my Mega Drive and about 30 games. A lot of my Master System games are FM chip compatible so I think I'll get myself a Japanese Master System at some point. Need an adapter though because the Japanese cartridges are a different shape. No regional lock outs on the Master System, unlike snidey Nintendo.
          Ahhh Micro Machines !!

Astrix the Gaul was another great platform game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

mine was my good old Commodore 64, the C model. got it Xmas 1992. so many great gaming memories. standout games for me were the Dizzy games and text adventures.

Comment

I think my first console was called a Master System, it had a built in game too called Alex The Kid, then i had a Mega Drive, spent many hours on that with my brother.

Comment

My first game was <a href="https://hokery.sklep.pl/kategoria/do-domu/">Hokery</a>

Comment

Nes 8
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

It was Atari 2600.

Comment

Originally posted by Xilova
                      I think it was Master System. I played video games all childhood and teenage. Then I started working and I had no time for games Now I play only on smartphone but not often. Guys, do you remember GTA Vicy City? It was my favorite part, by the way, here is a great list of games including GTA https://playmarket.store/android-category/action
                      Pong .. then Master System with built in Alex Kidd

Soon bought Micky Mouse Castle of Illusion and never played Alex Kidd again .. Astrix the Gaul was also fabulous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mine looked pretty much like this one. I can remember it came with a rifle that you could turn into a pistol by removing the stock/butt. I can also remember it came with a little tube shaped controller that had a dial on the top which you turned clockwise to control the speed of the bike, that jumped over the buses in one of the built in games.

Attached Files
                        Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

That bike game sounds like Stunt Cycle by Atari, although the home version had handlebars like the arcade.

Comment

My first console was a Sega Mega Drive, after owning a ZX Spectrum +2. The things I remember most about upgrading were the much superior graphics...but also the huge hike in the cost of games!

Comment

My Uncle In The 80's Had A Z-X Spectrum .

My Dad Had in the late 70's early 80's had Grandstand & Astro Wars & Electronic Battleships Board Game.

And I Had A PS1 . Sold my first 5yrs ago , but i found one of the old ps1's in my local charity shops's last year for 14.99. and i thought bugger it i would get again, and its still going now .

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

That was the Super NES, with A Link to the Past!

Comment

Working...
                                X