Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Central heating

Default Re: Central heating

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    The room had a carpet but it was too disgusting and dirty to photograph.
    The floorboards look just as disgusting as well - no way would I want to live there.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    The floorboards look just as disgusting as well - no way would I want to live there.
    The floorboards were installed in the 1930s. They look much better than what was in the cavity underneath them. About half of the fragments of the old fireplace was cleared out along with a large quantity of dust. Several intact tiles were found which have been saved for future use.

When the house was new the floorboards were most likely covered with lino. Original 1930s lino with 'jazz' patterns was found underneath the carpets upstairs but it had deteriorated so much that it couldn't be saved.

I understood central heating is similar in operation to ducted air conditioning is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    The floorboards were installed in the 1930s. They look much better than what was in the cavity underneath them. About half of the fragments of the old fireplace was cleared out along with a large quantity of dust. Several intact tiles were found which have been saved for future use.

When the house was new the floorboards were most likely covered with lino. Original 1930s lino with 'jazz' patterns was found underneath the carpets upstairs but it had deteriorated so much that it couldn't be saved.
    The house I used to live in was built in the 1920s and reminded me of that, and it was modernised in 1974 as well - times have changed when people used to put newspaper down as underlay (making it a bit of a time capsule). Thank goodness that Carpetright had put some official underlay when they kitted out the living room at the house where I used to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    I understood central heating is similar in operation to ducted air conditioning is it?
    Doesn't the air conditioning travel above while the central heating goes below? - I think that is the main difference.

I am not sure how many people have ducted heating. I have never been to a house with it.

A housing estate built in the 1970s in my locality originally had hot air central heating as standard. A few houses still have the original air heaters and some have upgraded to more modern air heaters but about 3 out of 4 have changed to a wet central heating with radiators.

Hot air central heating is very common in Canada and there are a few Canadian manufacturers of air heaters. Johnson & Starley is the only remaining British manufacturer.

I heard hot air systems are popular in the parts of the USA which have hot summers & cold winters because the same ducting can be connected to an air conditioner.
    The Trickster On The Roof

My son's wife simply laughed at our wall mounted radiators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old single panel radiators from c1970. They don't even have convector fins on the back.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radiator1.jpg   radiator2.jpg