Central heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Central heating

I am not sure how many people have ducted heating. I have never been to a house with it.

Comment

A housing estate built in the 1970s in my locality originally had hot air central heating as standard. A few houses still have the original air heaters and some have upgraded to more modern air heaters but about 3 out of 4 have changed to a wet central heating with radiators.

Hot air central heating is very common in Canada and there are a few Canadian manufacturers of air heaters. Johnson & Starley is the only remaining British manufacturer.

Comment

I heard hot air systems are popular in the parts of the USA which have hot summers & cold winters because the same ducting can be connected to an air conditioner.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My son's wife simply laughed at our wall mounted radiators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Old single panel radiators from c1970. They don't even have convector fins on the back.

Attached Files

Comment

Our boiler is over 50 years old and still going strong .. possibly not as efficient as the modern ones of course .

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                Our boiler is over 50 years old and still going strong .. possibly not as efficient as the modern ones of course .
                I wish I could say the same about my boiler, except that I have to call someone out each year to start it up again.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  I wish I could say the same about my boiler, except that I have to call someone out each year to start it up again.
                  Ahhh we get the same old bloke to service ours each year ..

£50

Comment

I'm beggining to feel a bit ripped off actually, i pay £30 a month for level two cover with british gas, i have been paying this for 10 years which affords me a annual boiler service and repairs to the boiler and central heating should i need them....i never have, which means i have spent £3,600 on nothing, i am thinking of cancelling this cover but have a horrible feeling the minute i do so the boiler will die. Whats also annoying is that the price you pay for cover depends on your postcode and equivalent cover starts at £12 which seems crazy....haven't decided what to do yet but it makes me angry
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      I'm beggining to feel a bit ripped off actually, i pay £30 a month for level two cover with british gas, i have been paying this for 10 years which affords me a annual boiler service and repairs to the boiler and central heating should i need them....i never have, which means i have spent £3,600 on nothing, i am thinking of cancelling this cover but have a horrible feeling the minute i do so the boiler will die. Whats also annoying is that the price you pay for cover depends on your postcode and equivalent cover starts at £12 which seems crazy....haven't decided what to do yet but it makes me angry
                      Complete waste of money. My solution - befriend a local central heating repairman or two and buy a couple of fan heaters and an electric hot water heater just in case the boiler stops working.

Comment

An old Randall 3060 timeswitch and heating controller from the 1970s. A far cry from the Nest Learning Thermostat.

Believe it or not, you can still buy the Randall (now Danfoss) 3060 as they were popular in council houses.

Attached Files

Comment

We use to have paraffin heaters. We got our paraffin from a delivery truck. I'm sure it was called Esso Blue with a cartoon character I cannot now recall.
                          anyway, in the early 80s we had central heating installed with the back boiler behind a gas heater and a large water tank upstairs.

Comment

Working...
                          X