Anyone remember The Krankies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone remember The Krankies?

I agree with Pedro the "F" word is not very nice to hear in entertainment of today. Can't chat longer.
    Bernard.

Comment

I rember Jimmy Clitheroe, he was really funny and a great talent during his career. Always watched Crackerjack (Leslie Crowther and Peter Glaze) in the 60's. The Crankies copying Jimmy Clitheroe's format definitely didn't work (somethings are too good to be copied!!) and really couldn't stand them, weird setup there. Made the mistake of taking my kids to see them when they were quite small - BIG MISTAKE!! Even they couldn't see the point of their act and were bored senseless.
      Don't some people realise that humour has moved on and to use old material and formats is a bit of a lost cause, some people just can't carry it off and just makes them look totally ridiculous .

Comment

If you remember the eighties you'll remember The Krankies from "Crackerjack, Krankies club, The Krankies Electronic Komic to KTV" . The Krankies had their own TV show for 12 years.

Recently they have appeared on FRench and Saunders TV shows and Janette was featured in the very successful situation comedy "Dinner ladies".

They also appeared in the BBC2 documentary series "The Entertainers".

Janette also appears as Jimmy Krankie in the video for Comic Relief single "500 Miles" with The Proclaimers,Brian Potter,Andy Pipkin and other celebrity stars.

Their official website
        http://www.thekrankies.cwc.net/page4.html
        You can send your emails to the krankies at krankieweb@aol.com.
        Last edited by sixtyten; 13-04-2007, 17:39.

Comment

My mate thought it would be humorous to buy me the Krankies Biography (he saw it for a quid) as I hated them. It is actually quite entertaining and sometimes disturbing at the same time.

Comment

even as a child I found this duo extremely disturbing, and unfunny.
            I switched over quick when they were on. Another cringeworthy duo was keith harris and orville!! Bleugh!
            "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              They are a lovely couple believe me. Their real names are Ian and Janette Tough.

I used to watch them when I came home from school and I thought they were very funny.

I admit now that it took me a while to work out that "Wee Jimmy Krankie" was actually a woman

DOH!!!

(Get well soon Janette )
              I was the same - thought it was some amusing little kid they had and later, when signs of age appeared ,I thought it was a Jimmy Clitheroe type of person - then finally I realised it was a little woman dressed as a schoolboy
              (Jimmy Clitheroe ! Who's he then? Ha Ha)

Comment

I used to work in a pub in Scarborough in the late 80's/early 90's which was close to The Futurist Theatre where the summer shows were held and most of the artists would come in at night for a drink once the shows were over. The majority of them were really friendly but I remember Jeanette from The Krankies was very rude, refusing to sign an autograph or even talk to the locals, a lot of whom had paid to see their show earlier. This happened on more than one occasion, but I have to say Ian was a really nice guy, he would chat to people and have a laugh.

The Grumbleweeds were the best, they would sit with the families, buy them drinks and virtually do their whole act for free in the pub!

Comment

Unfortunately, yes, I remember the Krankies. Utter dross.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                    "Crackerjack" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's my crackerjack pencil?

Does anyone know of anybody at all, anywhere in the country who actually had/has a crackerjack pencil?
                    If so what does one look like?

It always showed them being handed out in white oblong boxes but you never saw the pencils - just the box

Comment

Funnily enough, I mentioned Crackerjack pencils at work the other day, and no-one had a clue what I was talking about

Comment

I thought that the krankies were utter rubbish.Not my cup of tea.But i suppose some people have to like them.Poor sods
                        sigpic

Comment

I remember the Krankies and no, they didn't make me laugh even if Janette was from my part of the world, although they did have their moments. I remember them corpsing on Crackerjack when one of their sketches went wrong...that was funny! I also remember in one edition of Crackerjack Janette actually appeared in...shock, horror....a dress and a wig!! She must have been ticked off by the producers/director cause she always kept her "costume" on after that!

Comment

yes unfortunately i remember them too. The adult dressed as schoolboy must have been very popular in the 70s. Besides the Krankies and Jimmy Clitheroe, I also remember Terry Scott did the same on the Curley Wurley ads.
                            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

They've attracted a whole new generation of young fans thanks to some geezer on Youtube making a High School Musical video with their song "Fan-Dabi-Dozi" as the backing track. Love that song, it's as silly and cheesy and hell but it's fun!

Comment

I didn't think they were funny really. I saw them in panto once. Earlier that day we were having dinner in a shop cafe and they came in. That was more exciting than seeing them in the pantomime.
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X