Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Discipline!

Originally posted by havasack View Post
    Never had physical punishment at home, I think they knew it was pointless. Grounding , keeping me in was enough and they knew it worked, a damn good talking to aswell. At school I got the sandshoe once and the teacher apologised, knew it wouldn't have any effect (and it didn't) but he explained that I'd committed the same offence as someone else who was treat that way so I had to have the same, literally within minutes of each other, which does make sense.
    sandshoe whats that a sandal.
    got an odd smack at home did me no harm.
    i never really got grounded.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think there's no discipline in the world today, and no justice either. I've been replying regularly to a thread on DigitalSpy about bringing back the cane/slipper at school and the other posters have had me banned from the forum now for a fortnight because they think I seem to be obsessed with violence against children.

What sort of a world is it where you can't speak your mind without others criticizing you?
      "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

As someone who was beaten regularly by my father, often undeservedly I find myself disagreeing with almost everyone on this thread. as a kid I lived in fear of him and in later years that turned to hatred, no child should have to suffer abuse and no parent should need to experience the pure contempt and hatred I had for my dad. I'm not against discipline but any parent worth there salt should not need to resort to physical abuse, and however you wish to wrap it up it is abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by sweep View Post
          As someone who was beaten regularly by my father, often undeservedly I find myself disagreeing with almost everyone on this thread. as a kid I lived in fear of him and in later years that turned to hatred, no child should have to suffer abuse and no parent should need to experience the pure contempt and hatred I had for my dad. I'm not against discipline but any parent worth there salt should not need to resort to physical abuse, and however you wish to wrap it up it is abuse.
          I'd agree with that. I'm not against smacking children completely but I believe it should always be done out of love and not just in anger. If we allow ourselves to get too angry with our children we only end up hurting them too much. My dad knew of a boy who hit his father back as a result of physical abuse, and there is a young woman called Hillary Adams who has thought up a more ingenious way of getting back at her parents. As a teenager she was often severely beaten by her father and in 2004, when she as 16 years old, her parents were angry with her because she downloaded music and games from an illegal website. Many parents would have simply monitored her Internet use so that she couldn't do the same thing again, but instead they decided to resort to physical punishment, and unknown to them she actually filmed them doing so. She held onto the video clip for seven years and, after being sick and tired of his constant harassment finally posted it on YouTube. The video clip has allowed to remain on there despite containing unsimulated violence, and has provoked an outrage. In this video clip, which is not suited to those of a nervous disposition, the father is shown thrashing the girl forcefully and repeatedly on the legs, arms and buttocks with a belt as she screams hysterically. At one point his wife walks into the room telling the girl to 'turn over like a 16-year-old and take it' and takes part in the beating. The video clip resulted in her father being temporarily suspended as a judge.
          "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

During my time at secondary school I was hit by teachers on several occasions.
            I've been punched several times, kicked, slapped, hit with a badminton racquet, held off the floor by my neck, plus many other incidents.
            I was in a particularly bad year in a very rough school, but this was the late 80s/early 90s when it was supposed to be illegal.
            I was never a troublemaker, more a class clown, but this didn't go down well with the aggressive teachers.
            I also saw the games/sport teachers rough up assorted school bullies on many an occasion.
            As I said though, it was a very rough school............

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
              I think there's no discipline in the world today, and no justice either. I've been replying regularly to a thread on DigitalSpy about bringing back the cane/slipper at school and the other posters have had me banned from the forum now for a fortnight because they think I seem to be obsessed with violence against children.

What sort of a world is it where you can't speak your mind without others criticizing you?
              As soon as I'm allowed back on there I'm gonna post "I've learned my lesson now, I've had a bit of discipline".

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                I've been punched several times, kicked, slapped, hit with a badminton racquet, held off the floor by my neck, plus many other incidents.
                I was in a particularly bad year in a very rough school, but this was the late 80s/early 90s when it was supposed to be illegal.
                I was never a troublemaker, more a class clown, but this didn't go down well with the aggressive teachers.
                I also saw the games/sport teachers rough up assorted school bullies on many an occasion.
                Sounds much like my secondary school in the 70s. often wonder why these people become teachers when they obviously detest children.

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                  Was it a private school that you went to? One of my best friend's brothers went to a private school and they were still using the cane/slipper even after it had been banned nearly everywhere else, as they were exempt from the European Community corporal punishment ban. There was an article in the papers about one of these schools and the headmaster or someone else said 'To chastise a child is to love a child'.

Apparently if you send your child to school in some states of America they can still get it even now and there has been some controversy over it in recent years, which will probably lead to them going along the same path as us in the end.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqP7FKGwTO0
                  Last edited by philipdalton; 25-09-2013, 18:44.

Comment

Didn't realise corporal punishment was banned in state schools in 1987. I actually thought it was earlier than that. Certainly in my school it seemed to stop around about 1983 when I moved from infants to junior school. Perhaps the school brought in its own regulations.

Instead the the teachers would yell a lot and bang metre rulers on desks or throw blackboard rubbers at walls. The headmaster had the biggest gob of all and sounded like Godzilla in full roar. Everyone was terrified of him and he'd shout at the drop of a hat. Infant he always seemed to be shouting and screaming. Last I heard he died of a heart attack not long after his retirement and I can't say I'm surprised with all that pent up rage!
                    Last edited by Trickyvee; 25-09-2013, 19:58.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

At school.....got the slipper (really a trainer) across the backside for eating sweets in class. To be fair to the teacher he did later explain that it wouldn't have any affect on me me, telling me off or detention would've worked but as 3 of us were caught we all had to have the same punishment.

Other punishments were copying out sections of the dictionary, lines and writing 5 pages on "an adventure inside a ping pong ball", detention often included helping the caretaker and picking up rubbish on the school yard.

One teacher in particular didn't need that sort of discipline. a little slender gothic lady, with very long nails, when she said shush, we shushed, why ?....Those nails went down the blackboard if we didn't, that's why.
                      Last edited by havasack; 25-09-2013, 22:45.

Comment

Originally posted by sweep View Post
                        Whilst I have the deepest sympathy for what you went through, and clearly it was appalling, it has left you not understandably, with an inability to see the issue of physical discipline from an unbiased viewpoint. Most people will try to see the issue from a neutral viewpoint. I fully understand why and sympathise why. But you will see any physical discipline as unacceptable. And in your case, abuse.

Which is a comment myself and others will not agree with. Whilst not the child of abusive parents myself, I know those who were, I dealt with real child beating scum/abusers/child sex abusers in a previous worklife in Glasgow and for that reason I cannot and will not accept that a loving parent smacking on occasion a child for legitimate reasons is the same as someone who truly beats children. I have seen the latter and to call normal parents who smack 'abusers', is not only a grossly simplistic suggestion but is both offensive to parents to people like yourself and worse who suffer/suffered real abuse at the hands of family.

I believe parents must have the right and option to physically smack their own children. I believe that govt and society should stay out of family life unless genuine harm may come to a child. I also as strongly believe that smacking should be used very sparingly after verbal warnings and should only be a short, sharp open handed smack to the bottom or legs. In short, an option that should be exercised with great thought and physical care.

Again, my heart truly goes to you for what you suffered.
                        Last edited by ayrshireman; 26-09-2013, 00:04.

Comment

I'd agree with that. I'm not against smacking children completely but I believe it should always be done out of love and not just in anger. If we allow ourselves to get too angry with our children we only end up hurting them too much. My dad knew of a boy who hit his father back as a result of physical abuse, and there is a young woman called Hillary Adams who has thought up a more ingenious way of getting back at her parents. As a teenager she was often severely beaten by her father and in 2004, when she as 16 years old, her parents were angry with her because she downloaded music and games from an illegal website. Many parents would have simply monitored her Internet use so that she couldn't do the same thing again, but instead they decided to resort to physical punishment, and unknown to them she actually filmed them doing so. She held onto the video clip for seven years and, after being sick and tired of his constant harassment finally posted it on YouTube. The video clip has allowed to remain on there despite containing unsimulated violence, and has provoked an outrage. In this video clip, which is not suited to those of a nervous disposition, the father is shown thrashing the girl forcefully and repeatedly on the legs, arms and buttocks with a belt as she screams hysterically. At one point his wife walks into the room telling the girl to 'turn over like a 16-year-old and take it' and takes part in the beating. The video clip resulted in her father being temporarily suspended as a judge.
                          American story if memory serves.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                            Didn't realise corporal punishment was banned in state schools in 1987. I actually thought it was earlier than that. Certainly in my school it seemed to stop around about 1983 when I moved from infants to junior school. Perhaps the school brought in its own regulations.

Instead the the teachers would yell a lot and bang metre rulers on desks or throw blackboard rubbers at walls. The headmaster had the biggest gob of all and sounded like Godzilla in full roar. Everyone was terrified of him and he'd shout at the drop of a hat. Infant he always seemed to be shouting and screaming. Last I heard he died of a heart attack not long after his retirement and I can't say I'm surprised with all that pent up rage!
                            1981 in Scotland, after a campaign by a mother whose two boys were caned. I remember it, I also remember that the two boys were nasty little thugs, a fact the mum ignored. But her campaign, supported by the Daily Record amongst others, succeeded.

Comment

http://www.corpun.com/counuks.htm

Comment

Was it a private school that you went to?
                                Oh no, a very public school.
                                I would rather not name it, but it's in a large town in Norfolk.

Comment

Working...
                                X