Post Christmas advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Christmas advert

Does anyone remember an advert from the 80’s?

It used to come on early/mid January every year. There would be a set of scales and a male voiceover going over all the stuff he had eaten over Christmas, with each food item eaten he would move the scales up gradually showing his weight gain.
    The advert ended with him saying “fruit cake” over and over again with his voice eventually breaking into sobs.

I’m going to assume it was for weight watchers or some such.

Re: Post Christmas advert

Originally posted by iantjambo View Post
    Does anyone remember an advert from the 80’s?

It used to come on early/mid January every year. There would be a set of scales and a male voiceover going over all the stuff he had eaten over Christmas, with each food item eaten he would move the scales up gradually showing his weight gain.
    The advert ended with him saying “fruit cake” over and over again with his voice eventually breaking into sobs.

I’m going to assume it was for weight watchers or some such.
    Sorry mate no idea
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Re: Post Christmas advert

I also wondered whether it was for Weight Watchers or something like that? (Now known as WW of course). They usually have women advertising in the adverts though, probably because if one is male and overweight then society doesn't have much of a problem with it, while women in the same predicament are reminded that they will never get that modelling contract or future husband if they happen to be more than 10 stone. It could have been for Slim Fast as that also had (formerly overweight) men in their adverts, as well as the infamous DJ turned abuser Barry Bethell. The NutraSweet craze which started in around 1985 (complete with whirly circle logo) that introduced the masses to both Canderel and Sweetex also spring to mind.

Some post-Christmas adverts seen (apart from the January sale ones) are usually the "book a holiday" ones: (Horizon, Lunn Poly, Thomas Cook etc); the Reader's Digest ones: "and some lucky person could be living in Central Television area"; and the start of the Marshall Cavendish or Orbis "52 parts" series of stamp collecting, brain surgery or trainspotting "free binder with part one", in which WHSmith stops selling the damn thing after the fourth part.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
      X