Burt Bacharach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burt Bacharach

Not a band as such, but it is around this time of year after Christmas that I get into a Burt Bacharach sort of mood and listen to a few of the songs on YT that he composed (some with Hal David) for various artistes - the guy is a legend!

The songs that he did for Dionne Warwick, Dusty Springfield, Cilla Black, Herb Alpert and others is just divine to say the least! One of them was played at my father's funeral which probably says something about his music.

It's amazing that I typed in a number of various songs on YT and Bacharach was involved with many of them - also great that he's still around at the age of 90 as well.

I suppose that these days it's as fashionable to like this sort of stuff as to admitting to own a Max Bygraves or Des O'Connor LP that even charity shops wouldn't even touch with a bargepole.

They say that the Beatles made their mark in the 1960s, but then again Bacharach also did as well.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Burt Bacharach

Burt Bacharach has written so many great songs over the years, I remember a very good documentary a few years ago about him on BBC4.

The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes, a true sonwriting God - just don't buy any of his own singing albums!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Whilst i'm more of a rock afficianado i also appreciate a bit of easy listening when the mood takes me, Bacharach would be up there amongst the best in this genre. my fave bacharach composition would be Herb alperts version of This guys in love with you but he wrote many other great songs.
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          Whilst i'm more of a rock afficianado i also appreciate a bit of easy listening when the mood takes me, Bacharach would be up there amongst the best in this genre. my fave bacharach composition would be Herb alperts version of This guys in love with you but he wrote many other great songs.
          This song haunted me for years into my 30s. Every now and again the instrumental bit would come into my head and make me feel bad. I would have been about 5 when it was released. No matter who I asked no one could tell me what the song was from my mouth trumpet version of the tune.
          One night mid 90s I was sat up late watching VH1 and low and behold it came on and I instantly burst into tears.
          I never did recall the underlying memory attached though.

Comment

This guys in love with you is the sort of song that makes you feel like it's a rainy day & you're stuck inside with just your thoughts.

Comment

Burt was an immensley talented guy - he wrote songs for so many singers, such easy listening ones too.

They'll never be another Burt who wrote for so many varying singers who sang so differently, but at the same time had voices of silk and sounded so different to the next singer he wrote a song for. A legend indeed

80sChav

Comment

He's still alive!

Comment

indeed, his recent work with Elvis costello is really good
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

All I can do is agree that Burt Bacharach is one of the greatest composers of modern times. My very favourite of his is 'The Look of Love'. He wrote the music and another great, Hal David, added the lyrics. Best version? For me, the Sergio Mendes/Brasil 66 arrangement. Lanni Hall's beautifully seductive vocals just wash over me, and I could listen to it all day.

Comment

I am rather partial to The Stranglers' version of Walk On By, reminiscent of Light My Fire by The Doors (no coincidence, I bet!)

Attached Files

Comment

Aretha Franklin's version of I Say A Little Prayer is very close to perfection in music.

Comment

I kind of think of Burt as a .... Romantic... songwriter... a guy who puts women on
                          a pedastal kind of like Paul Mac... Justin Hayward..... Clifford T Ward

He was in London some time ago and they did a tv tribute to him, one of the guys who
                          came on stage to sing one of his songs was Justin....

Comment

I am expecting my Bacharach album that I asked for Christmas to get to me any day now...
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I also noticed that there is a show touring theatres called Back to Bacharach - wouldn't mind seeing what that was all about.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X