Song about John McEnroe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song about John McEnroe

Does anyone remember a song about John McEnroe with the chorus going something like "there was chalkdust, there was chalkdust, everyone knows there was chalkdust"? Just thought I'd ask and also there was some football song with the words "Screaming Blue Murder" in it, i think the guy was having a dream. They were both from the late 70's or early 80's.
    "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Re: Song about John McEnroe

Hi
    It was called the umpire strikes back ........... Can't remember much more. will search & rescue !

Comment

Found It ! Lyrics for: Chalk Dust - The Umpire Strikes BackOh I say, well played sirFifteen loveOh my goodness me, what a shotThirty loveWho could possibly return that backhand?Thirty fifteenThese two boys really mean business todayForty - fifteenOut OutWhat!OutWHAT!The ball is outYou gotta be kiddingThe ball is in; everyone could see that the ball is inChalk dust everyone could see that there was chalk dustThat ball was in by about a mileYou people here goddamn senileDon't be noisy, there's a good chapYou'll wake the linesman, she is having a nap.ScrewballCall yourself an umpire You're a screwballPlay on You're being rather naughtyKindly play onI won't play on till you change you're callyou didn't even see the (beep beep) ballI come over here to play a (beep beep) gameBut you're blind geriatric to (beep beep) thingThe ball is in, everyone could see that the ball's inChalk dust, everyone could see that there's chalk dustI am awfully sorry but the ball was outI'd be jolly grateful if you didn't shoutIf you don't like it here well you shouldn't comeFrankly sir You're a pain in the bumMoron, I want another umpire you're a moronChalk dust, I wanna see my lawyer there was chalk dustYou pick on me cause of who I amI am not playing on and I don't give a damnThe ball wasn't out it's a goddamn lieI won't play on and I think I'm gonna cry....Chalk dustI wanna see my daddy there was chalk dustBoringI'm gonna have to shoot you nowYou're boringI am sorry about thisYou tedious little bratI am sick of youThe umpire strikes back(machine gun fire) Rat-a-tat-tat-tatOh, You're the pits, you're scum man, you are not fit to be called a human being(machine gun fire) Rat-a-tat-tat-tatI was talking to myself. (dies) uhhhh......

Says also
      An extremely amusing little ditty from the BBC TV series "Allo Allo" star Roger Kitter, under the alias 'The Brat'. The hit, which reached No. 19 here in the UK charts, makes a mimicry of tennis star John McEnroe's antics on the court.

Comment

Thanks for that Burbs, it's amazing what comes back to you sometimes, any idea about the football song?

Comment

can't think of footy song - strange coz i was absolutely mad on footy then ??

- Only one that keeps coming back is B.A. Robertson - knocked it off

Comment

it may have been "football crazy" but that may have been something else

Comment

was it:

he's football crazy he's football mad
              the football it has taken away the little bit of sense he had
              it would take a dozen....... to wash away that mud
              since ...... became a member of that terrible football club ????

or am I bonkers !!!

Bonkers me thinks LOL

Comment

Yes that is one football song, I'm just not sure whether it's the one I'm thinking of though - the guy had a strong Scottish accent and it must have done alright coz I remember it being on the radio all the time.

Also I think one of the verses of the football crazy song went something like this:

He took 40 paces backwards
                and shot off from the mark
                the ball went sailing over the bar
                and landed in New York!
                Last edited by stevef; 16-03-2007, 04:18.

Comment

It is football crazy managed to find it on tinternet - Sent you full lyrics Stevef
                  link to tha & many more:
                  http://www.theballadeers.com/Lyrics_F2.htm

Comment

Just a side-line while we're on McEnroe, I remember at school if you were lucky enough to have a £5 note on you, you could fold one side over in a way as to merge the bottom of the Queen's head with the top half of the Duke of Wellington (I think it was him). The result was an uncanny resemblance of John McEnroe.

Comment

There was a sort of rap about McEnroe that went "jolly good forehand, jolly good backhand, John McEnroe" etc that I can't find.

Comment

I have that record CHALK DUST

Comment

The footy song with "screamin blue murder" is We have a dream by the Scotland 1982 world cup squad.
                          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

you're too good branny! i was wondering if anyone would ever find this one. now i'm glad i popped by today coz i havn't been on the site for a while.

Comment

CHALKDUST (THE UMPIRE STRIKES BACK)
                              It won't hurt to release an 80s compilation with THIS and other 'obscure' (as in ignored or deliberately forgotten) ones like
                              Zambesi
                              Arthur Daley-'E's Alright
                              Shiny Shiny
                              Police Officer
                              The Fat boys version of WIPEOUT/THE TWIST
                              Dance Yourself Dizzy
                              WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X