Disappointing SECOND albums ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing SECOND albums ..

So just listened to the latest ( second ) album of London Grammar .. the first was fabulous but this second one leaves me cold [emoji20]

It got me thinking how many other artists released disappointing second albums ..

Paolo Nutini's second was a stinker as was The Fratellis ..

I know the theory is that the artists cram all their life's best songs into their first LP ...

Just my opinions here of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Disappointing SECOND albums ..

Have to say as a massive RUSH fan i dident care much for albums 1,2 or 3. They do say that a bands second album is always the most difficult for the reason Zincubus gives
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Endlessly by Duffy, not awful but not nearly as good as the her debut Rockferry.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge was a bit of a disappointment after Tubular Bells.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
          Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge was a bit of a disappointment after Tubular Bells.
          Wow, that was the one I was going to say!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            Wow, that was the one I was going to say!
            Oddly it got to number 1 on the album charts before Tubular Bells did!
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              Oddly it got to number 1 on the album charts before Tubular Bells did!
              Yep - TB replaced it at the top!
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

King Crimson's "In the Wake of Poseidon" was nowhere near as good as their classic first album "In the Court of the Crimson King."

Comment

A band local to Chesterfield called Saracen released a cracking first album "Heroes, Saints and Fools" in 1981, full of pomp and catchy rock riffs. However the 1984 follow up "A Change of Heart" was exactly that: weak, weedy and distinctly not living up to the promise of their debut.

Comment

After the classic Lexicon of Love, ABC’s follow up , Beauty Stab , was such a let down

Comment

I was disappointed in the second album by The Sundays. Oddly a lot of people say it was their favorite but I found at best one track worth having whereas I loved the first, and the much later, third albums. To a lesser degree I found the second album by the New York group Television disappointing, except there is one track on it, Days, that I really love. Again their first, and much later, third albums I treasure.
                      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

A lot of bands release 1-2 good albums, after which it seems as if their creative potential ends. It seems to me that these are just one-day groups. Such ones arise in our days, arise, grab their piece of glory and profit and disappear into oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978
                          I can think of quite a few artists who had a very good first album (I probably 2-3 hit singles from it) then either broke up before releasing another album or else released another one that wasn't as good as the first.
                          Do you think the reason for this could be that the people who created the group simply did not know what to do in the future? They had an idea for the first album, it went off, and what to do after? They simply have no idea what the prospects are and in what direction to develop. This situation can only be with people living one day. Although this is only a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
                            After the classic Lexicon of Love, ABC’s follow up , Beauty Stab , was such a let down
                            My favorite ABC album!! Wish they'd tour it instead of endless LOL tours

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978

I think many acts struggle with a second album because they have less time to record it compared to the first one, & often ending up having to use left over tracks from the first one, or else going in a different direction & losing fans as the end result is too different.
                              Exactly.. plus the first album is basically a collection of years and years songs then they pick the best ... turn suddenly they are touring and promoting the album but the record company want them to record a second album .

Comment

Working...
                              X