Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stan and ollie

Default Re: Stan and ollie

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I bet that they are both funny.

Speaking of Coogan, I don't think that I have seen that Alan Partridge film from 2013 - I believe it's been seen on TV a couple of times. I know it was doing the rounds in the cinemas in August 2013 - tried to see it on my birthday that year but it wasn't on.
    Alpha papa....very funny
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

I did get that "We Need to talk about Alan" book from WHSmith during that bridge between Christmas and New Year in 2011 - when I had it on the bookcase at the old place, many visitors were impressed with the fact that I got a copy!

The only problems with playing a character such as Laurel or Hardy is that: A) it obviously is not an original creation unlike Alan Partridge; B) they were based on real people; and C) they came from a previous generation several decades ago. It's like a singer doing a cover version rather than an original - that is not criticism of course, but just observations.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I did get that "We Need to talk about Alan" book from WHSmith during that bridge between Christmas and New Year in 2011 - when I had it on the bookcase at the old place, many visitors were impressed with the fact that I got a copy!

The only problems with playing a character such as Laurel or Hardy is that: A) it obviously is not an original creation unlike Alan Partridge; B) they were based on real people; and C) they came from a previous generation several decades ago. It's like a singer doing a cover version rather than an original - that is not criticism of course, but just observations.
    I think the film is more of a biopic, the relationship between the actors and agents etc

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Alpha papa....very funny
    Yes, agreed!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

I think the film is more of a biopic, the relationship between the actors and agents etc
    It is about when they toured theatres in the UK, towards the end of their careers, because they needed the money. Apparently, they were well-received and quite grateful!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    It is about when they toured theatres in the UK, towards the end of their careers, because they needed the money. Apparently, they were well-received and quite grateful!
    Thanks Zaba

So i'm off to the flix this weekend to see Stan and ollie, i go with a little trepidation but i have to say the critics reviews have been generally positive. watch this space
    How was it tex. Was it fair dictum or done in caricature. My elderly father in law has always maintained that Stan laurel was Australian -born. I keep maintaining he was English. He was as his birthplace is Ulverston, Lancashire. I always enjoyed the work Laurel & Hardy over say the Three Stooges or the annoying Marx bros.

I've been seeing all sorts of photos of the large ads on Buses in England, looks like they did a great job promoting this! Great reviews for the most part. I thought Coogan was good as Tony Wilson of Factory Records too in 24 Hour Party People, and I've seen Reilly be pretty deadpan funny in some U.S. comedies.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald the Great View Post
    How was it tex. Was it fair dictum or done in caricature. My elderly father in law has always maintained that Stan laurel was Australian -born. I keep maintaining he was English. He was as his birthplace is Ulverston, Lancashire. I always enjoyed the work Laurel & Hardy over say the Three Stooges or the annoying Marx bros.
    Fraid something else came up, maybe this weekend instead

So still not seen it and now its no longer showing at my local ......gutted!