Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Public information Films

Default Re: Public information Films

"polish the floor and put a rug on it" PIF was voiced by Patrick "Doctor Who" Troughton.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria O'Keefe View Post
    "polish the floor and put a rug on it" PIF was voiced by Patrick "Doctor Who" Troughton.
    That's the thing about voiceovers - I used to think "who's voice is that?" when I hear adverts and PIFs, mostly at a time when Gary Watson did at least half of them.

There is one clip about railways on YT which is voiced by someone who sounds like a cross between Bruce Forsyth and Jon Pertwee, and that has had a few suggestions as to who it could be in the comments section.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Looking on YouTube and other forums, I have been recently reminded of the cross-ply and radial tyres one where a red Mini does more stunts than Mr Bean's car could ever do on a skidpan. Patrick Allen (pre-Barratt Holmes of course), does the voiceover reminding us that we might not live to regret if we mixed cross-ply and radial tyres or put cross-ply tyres on the rear and radials on the front. Cue Mini ending up on its roof with tyres still spinning around. One assumes that the driver was some sort of stuntman or Fright Arranger.

And up to the late 1980s, various ITV regions had shown that supermarket one where two Queen Mother-generation women were talking - Norman Evans-style: "to cut a long story short..." One had their purse perched on top of their bags (I thought it was inside their baskets), and someone had pinched the purse from the bag. Cue targeted woman going "oh, me purse", and searches her bag for it just in case it is still in there, even though it has gone. Cue leap year-baby Joss Ackland reminding us, to "look after your purse before someone else does". As someone who has had their wallet stolen in a burglary back in 2008, I thought that it was darn good advice.

And of course, the derelict burnt out house with echoes and screams throughout the house and going up the stairs - the days when it was advised that everyone had to unplug everything in the house in case fire started is more or less in the past now. At least we are in the days of smoke alarms and circuit breakers and the Health and Safety Executive which helps these days.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    It's like those Jo and Petunia ones which were ironically updated with one of them wearing a Burberry "chav of course" baseball cap which I used to see on Channel 5 while waiting for PCBH to come on when I recorded it in the early hours of Saturday or Sunday morning.
    Loved Joe & Petunia

When Joe told Petunia about the "Dinji" lol

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Does anyone remember a PIF maybe from the late '70s, opening on a beach, where a voiceover says something like 'some time ago, a little girl ran down to the sea. Now she is dead.' I seem to remember a shot of the girl's arm lying on the sand, washed by the waves. Is this just me, or does this PIF exist?

There have been quite a few PIFs set on beaches such as the "broken glass in the sand" one - the garden ponds one mentioned at the start of this thread sounds similar to that one - the fact that sand was implicated in the PIF as it was recommended that ponds should be filled in and made into sandpits.

There was also a Christmas themed one about fire, which I assumed was shown at this time of year in the 1970s and early 1980s and had a Patrick Allen voiceover.

And that one from around 2003 about cooking turkeys - cue a huge turkey chasing a woman around a living room. Was seen usually during GMTV ad breaks.