Public information Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Public information Films

There have been quite a few PIFs set on beaches such as the "broken glass in the sand" one - the garden ponds one mentioned at the start of this thread sounds similar to that one - the fact that sand was implicated in the PIF as it was recommended that ponds should be filled in and made into sandpits.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

There was also a Christmas themed one about fire, which I assumed was shown at this time of year in the 1970s and early 1980s and had a Patrick Allen voiceover.

And that one from around 2003 about cooking turkeys - cue a huge turkey chasing a woman around a living room. Was seen usually during GMTV ad breaks.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

So apparently the holy grail of PIFs , the Reginald Molehusband one is missing or lost.
        the original audio is available but not the video and I think someone like vic reeves re-enacted it

Comment

there was a PIF about clothing fires from the mid to late 90s showing situations of people's clothes very near to something flammable. This included a slow-mo shot of a little girl spinning around bringing her nightdress and long hair too close to an unguarded fire.
          http://www.youtube.com/v/wW6mqRyWNak

Comment

I had in my mind a PIF which had a clothes horse (or "airer", pronounced "era" by my late mother) with clothes hanging on it which was too close to a fire or something - could that be the same one?
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

this PIF on the TVArk online museum website could only have been made during the Cold War

https://www.tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=121990

Comment

And this is the same thread which I was referring to just now on Marsh's Saturday Morning PIFs thread. (Cheers, Victoria!)
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Hee Hee:

https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn....Hg&oe=62EFF9A2

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

I won't mention the "Clunk Click" ones for all of the obvious reasons, although the practice of wearing a seatbelt is a good one of course - hard to believe however that the law on wearing a seatbelt was made compulsory in 1983 and not closer to 1973 when the PIFs were made.
                    And on a similar note, remember the one with Rolf Harris highlighting the dangers of water in a swimming pool full of kids ,after telling parents that if you can swim yourself why not teach them yourself he falls back into the water and waves goodbye to the camera with his big toe whilst the ad fades out to the sound of cheering kids heading straight for him we must assume

Comment

Do we still get the fireworks PIFs on TV these days? I have seen some of them on YT including the girl showing the camera injured fingers because she picked up an extinguished sparkler while it was still hot. "Show Mrs Green what you did last night..."

Also, the "follow the Firework Code" with the fireworks safely stored in a "biscuits for cheese" tin box, narrated by Mr Richard Briers himself. Keep pets indoors, and always use a torch and never a naked flame.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I always loved the one encouraging folk to lock their bikes.
                        “I’d rather not say what’s in the saddle bag, it’s personal”. Always cracked me up

Comment

Originally posted by duffer View Post

And on a similar note, remember the one with Rolf Harris highlighting the dangers of water in a swimming pool full of kids ,after telling parents that if you can swim yourself why not teach them yourself he falls back into the water and waves goodbye to the camera with his big toe whilst the ad fades out to the sound of cheering kids heading straight for him we must assume
                          Im 100 percent sure that when this was originally aired, the PIF didn’t fade out but we actually saw the kids swimming to Rolf and playfully mobbing him probabably to duck himunder the water. I originally thought that the film had been damaged but understand now it was more than likely cut as to not encourage this behaviour

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
                            Im 100 percent sure that when this was originally aired, the PIF didn’t fade out but we actually saw the kids swimming to Rolf and playfully mobbing him probabably to duck himunder the water. I originally thought that the film had been damaged but understand now it was more than likely cut as to not encourage this behaviour
                            I agree, deffo remember the kids mobbing him

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZcAQpEA3SY
                              Last edited by Victoria O'Keefe; 09-11-2023, 13:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X