Split the Kipper .... Knife crime ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split the Kipper .... Knife crime ..

In the light of this wave of knife crime and stabbings .. I had a flashback to the late 60’s / early 70’s where so many of us lads carried knives ... in a sheath on our belts .. nothing sinister though . They were used mainly to play the popular lads game Split the Kipper ..
    Two opponents stand a few feet apart facing each other on grass or soft earth.
    One throws a pen-knife to stick in the ground a reasonable distance from one of the opponent's feet (if the knife doesn't stick in, it doesn't count). The opponent then has to move their foot to where the knife is, without moving the other foot, pick up the knife and take their turn. And so on, back and forth.
    To win you have to be first to force your opponent into a position where they either fall over, can't make the required move (or can't do so without falling over) or can't get the knife (without falling over).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Split the Kipper .... Knife crime ..

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    In the light of this wave of knife crime and stabbings .. I had a flashback to the late 60’s / early 70’s where so many of us lads carried knives ... in a sheath on our belts .. nothing sinister though . They were used mainly to play the popular lads game Split the Kipper ..
    Two opponents stand a few feet apart facing each other on grass or soft earth.
    One throws a pen-knife to stick in the ground a reasonable distance from one of the opponent's feet (if the knife doesn't stick in, it doesn't count). The opponent then has to move their foot to where the knife is, without moving the other foot, pick up the knife and take their turn. And so on, back and forth.
    To win you have to be first to force your opponent into a position where they either fall over, can't make the required move (or can't do so without falling over) or can't get the knife (without falling over).

Comment

Re: Split the Kipper .... Knife crime ..

Considering that someone who was in the same class as myself at school back in the 1980s had been stabbed to death just before Christmas in 2016, one could say that knife crime has indirectly affected myself. I would even argue that a canteen of cutlery is a lethal weapon. I agree with one of the MPs who made the comments a couple of weeks ago - it should be seen as terrorism when viewed on masse at least.

I even complained to Ofcom because of the stabbing storyline in the episode of Casualty which was on the Saturday before last, and explained that this sort of thing is inappropriate when there seems to be at least two stabbings every three days.

It is the same with guns - upper class men using guns for clay pigeon, pheasant and grouse shooting and all that, but to recent generations, guns are lethal weapons that are used to kill people. I would run a mile if I saw someone walk down the street carrying a gun or a knife. Let's face it: we wouldn't have had the Guinness World Records founded if it wasn't for the activity of shooting.

That picture illustrated more innocent times (which I bet that picture was taken no later than the 1950s) which wouldn't be acceptable now - the good old Boy Scouts (was never one myself, mind) by the camp fire with an industrial tin of Heinz Baked Beans, and singing "Ging Gang Goolie" or whatever it was called. Baden Powell has a lot to answer for...
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
      X