Anyone seen Threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen Threads?

I saw bits of it on YouTube yesterday - scared the pants off me!! Did it freak anyone else out??

Re: Anyone seen Threads?

Yes, was scarey TV

Comment

ohhh no, what was it???
      Heather

Comment

clue us in it sounds interesting

Comment

http://www.btinternet.com/~pdbean/threads.html

Comment

I saw Threads when it was first broadcast in 1984, and was totally devastated. I had nightmares for months.
            The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Comment

A scary film - bought the DVD cos of what I'd heard about it....very powerful stuff that hasn't really aged at all - it's obviously set in 1980's but the acting is really good and they used the nuclear tv public info films and had Lesley Judd as newsreader to give it that extra sense of realism. I know I don't want to survive should it ever happen
              Last edited by DoubleAgent; 02-04-2007, 01:07.

Comment

Just finished watching it after reading this thread (no pun intended!).

Very good film, and seing as I'm from 5 minutes away from what was RAF Finningly, it seemed even more realistic. My parent's town of Bawtry (where i was growing up in the 1984) even got a mention!

Great, powerful film.. highly recommended viewing.
                Last edited by madnesstiger; 01-04-2007, 23:07. Reason: Grammar mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Solo View Post
                  I saw bits of it on YouTube yesterday - scared the pants off me!! Did it freak anyone else out??
                  I remember watching that when it was shown on tv,it was horrific to think it could happen for real.

Comment

I watched it again on Saturday 31/3 and am still shocked by it. It's a really good "what if" film with excellent performances by the cast (especially Karen Meagher as Ruth)

Comment

Waah - OK I went and bought it on DVD - WHY!! lol

Comment

Someone once said that the superpowers should sit and view this film to get some kind of idea of the misery that would rain down on the earth, in such an event.

I have a site that mentions the film (see sig) - but I'll spare you the click and say here: I was a teenager in the 80's and one particular time of skipping school I came home but found myself locked out. Wasn't the first time due to my mother working, but on that day there was a routine test of the air-raid warning siren throughout the town. Absolutely scared the hell out of me. I distinctly remember hiding in the back garden. It was such a devastating threat that pretty much chills me to this day, which is why Victoria is special. Threads certainly gave me many nightmares, or compounded the fear that already existed.

I asked my mother for When the Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs, I still have it to this day. This was after my teacher remarked on the book - I eventually took it into school and she devoted most of a lesson to reading it out to the class, showing us the pictures. I also remember drawing a mushroom cloud during an art class - god only knows what the teachers thought about me!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaeo View Post
                          Someone once said that the superpowers should sit and view this film to get some kind of idea of the misery that would rain down on the earth, in such an event.

I have a site that mentions the film (see sig) - but I'll spare you the click and say here: I was a teenager in the 80's and one particular time of skipping school I came home but found myself locked out. Wasn't the first time due to my mother working, but on that day there was a routine test of the air-raid warning siren throughout the town. Absolutely scared the hell out of me. I distinctly remember hiding in the back garden. It was such a devastating threat that pretty much chills me to this day, which is why Victoria is special. Threads certainly gave me many nightmares, or compounded the fear that already existed.

I asked my mother for When the Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs, I still have it to this day. This was after my teacher remarked on the book - I eventually took it into school and she devoted most of a lesson to reading it out to the class, showing us the pictures. I also remember drawing a mushroom cloud during an art class - god only knows what the teachers thought about me!
                          I was exactly the same Chaeo. My teenage years were blighted by this kind of fear, and i had a teacher who was only too happy to be the voice of doom as well. Watching Threads for the first time was far worse than any horror film you care to mention.

Comment

I love Threads, it's brilliant.

Obviously being born in 1981, I didn't see it's original TV showing.

when I was about 12 I became obsessed with nuclear warfare and that sort of stuff, and my dad told me about this film he'd seen that scared the **** out of him, but I couldn't get it anywhere

When I was about 18 Threads got re-released on VHS and DVD, and I bought a copy and finally got to watch it. I remember about a year later a friend posted me a link to an ebay auction for Threads on DVD and they were going for over £70 a copy. It seems that they underestimated the demand and didn't make enough copies, and their value rocketed. I wish i'd have sold it then because they obviously went back in to production and now you can buy it for a reasonable amount again.

Never mind!

Regarding the film, you can see it's dated and the special effects are poor by today's standards but it's a harrowing film and a very depressing film to watch, but simply brilliant. I really like the way it's made to look like a documentary and even the voice used is perfect for it.

and i'm trying for the life of me to remember the kids educational show used in it towards the end, something like "look, listen and learn"

Comment

Ever noticed how Japanese are immune to radiation effects?
                              Seeen loads of films where there's mutants after the bomb has dropped but they're the only people to have actually gone through this and they just normal!

Comment

Working...
                              X