Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In hindsight

Default Re: In hindsight

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    It wasn't all great in 1981 with the Brixton riots, hunger strikes in Northern Ireland, Poland cracking down on the Solidarity movement & the first threats of a miner's strike over pit closures.
    Quite true, but I am sure you would remember being a 1978 person like myself that I was a bit too young to have followed news bulletins and understood them! Funnily enough, I looked at the "1981 in the United Kingdom" page on Wikipedia this morning, and saw the hunger strikes in Northern Ireland where the 10 strikers died, and indeed, their combined ages was just 252, meaning that they died at an average age of 25.2 years of age - I suppose that despite The Troubles still going strong in 1981, Northern Ireland seemed a bit more remote to me than mainland Britain. The same year was full of assassination attempts as well such as Ronald Reagan (almost making him the shortest serving American president); Queen Elizabeth II on her Official Birthday in June that year; and Pope John Paul II who would have had to have cancelled his trip to Britain the following year and his appointment with Robert Runcie if Mehmet Ali Ağca had succeeded with his plans.

The Brixton riots were another thing of course, and rioting also apparently happened in other cities including Nottingham, but as I have said, I was too young to remember it - well, I was never scarred for life from seeing an ITN bulletin on my parents' TV set at the time! One interesting point is the comparison that 2011 had with 1981 - both had major Royal Weddings happen in both those years, and both had major rioting which started in London as well. But ironically, those bad things happening, I just cannot remember. But I suppose, in hindsight (damn, I have said it again with no irony intended), one can look back and think of the positive things that happened - school days always seemed to be the opposite of that for some reason.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

The 1990s had a few country related trends, with the mid 1990s Irish things seemed to be all the rage, thanks to the peace process in Northern Ireland. Things like Roddy Doyle novels, Father Ted, Ballykissangel, Ireland winning the Eurovison song contest 4 times in 5 years, U2 staying popular, Boyzone etc. Almost every town that didn't already had an Irish pub suddenly got one.
    Good point - Ireland won the Eurovision Song Contest four times in the 1990s - three years in a row from 1992 to 1994 and again in 1996, and the 1994 contest (hosted 1993 to 1995 and 1997), introduced us to Riverdance - rumours were that RTE might go bankrupt if they had won again! Gay Byrne's Late, Late Show from RTE was seen on Channel 4 as well - the show where Boyzone made their first appearance (as seen over here on one of those Before They Were Famous programmes - all looking very 1990s!) And we ended the decade with Westlife as well.

Also, if we think of Northern Ireland, the Good Friday Agreement in 1998, Bill Clinton visiting Ulster in 1995 (pre-Lewinsky of course), Gerry Adams getting a lot of prominence in news bulletins were certainly a huge part of the latter half of that decade. I almost felt that Jim McDonald was Northern Ireland's own ambassador to Coronation Street himself!

I remember Father Ted's Eurosong entry was supposedly chosen because it was almost guaranteed to lose!

There were plans to host the 1997 contest in Belfast, with the BBC sharing costs.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    You raise some smashing points here George mate and make some great reflections. I feel some of these 2 from being fascinated by af ew years back as young kid in the 80s, I recall in 1986 going into my local WH Smith and getting Football Stickers (actualy I bet it was more like mid to late 1987) and this was just before the "watering down" of Football Sticker Albums in that the they stopped adding the old 2nd Division Team pic and Foil Badge - this was the year Birmingham, west Brom and Ipswich went down from the old 1st Division (and at the mo I am struggling to recall ... sadly the 1985/86 Album) but what always interested me was it took 16 years (unbe-known at the time obviously) for two out of the 3 (Birmingham and West Brom) to get back to the Top-Flight after 2 and 1 seperate 1st ever spells respectivley for both in the old 3rd Division/3rd Tier. That so so interests me - that fact as do many others, but has as been said about getting older - things also change in how people recall things I think - on a massive scale 2003 (o Leeds last being Relegated from the Premier to going down to the old 3rd in 2007 does not even hit the same scale on the radar - though the time difference in years was'nt as mega, it was a much more major event), but put 2003 (just outside the 1960s to 1990s nostalga of DYR) and it seems shocking that 2003 is nearly 20 years a-go (or will be in 4 years). As too it does with Saddam Hussein being captured in late Winter 2003 and the Twin Towers Atrosity of September the 11th 2001 - who can believe that took place 19 years a-go this September?
    Being fascinated with things just four or five years ago seems normal as a seven or eight year old when one has not lived that long - it is more than half of one's life, even though as a 40 year old, looking back over 20 years (or even 25 years) does not seem alien.

Another thing that comes to my mind was that when we had a wet playtime at Junior School the teacher allowed us to stay in the classroom, and she got a box of old comics out from a cupboard in the room. This was in around 1986-1987, I was so fascinated at seeing old issues of Look In from 1980 in the box which was almost the beginning of time as far as I was concerned. Looking at the region by region listings of top five highlights which was towards the back of the issue back then, I was fascinated at seeing the company names of Southern and Westward in the regional listings, (ATV was a bit more familiar to me in the Midlands as they were connected to Central), and I didn't remember those companies when they were on the air. I assume that the old style of the comics and the mention of pop stars and TV shows in those old 1980 Look Ins probably looked so alien to an eight year old in 1986-1987.

It's a bit like the old magazines that you find in doctors' surgeries - they look so fascinating that you don't want the GP to call your name out as you are enjoying yourself too much!

I remember in 1985 a friend of the family let me have a bag of old Beanos & other comics from 1982, even in 3 years these were different from the current ones, especially as many of the strips had changed in the time, with characters being retired & replaced.
    The Trickster On The Roof

I remember in 1985 a friend of the family let me have a bag of old Beanos & other comics from 1982, even in 3 years these were different from the current ones, especially as many of the strips had changed in the time, with characters being retired & replaced.
    Somewhere in the attic there’s a bag of old original comics from the 60’s. ...
    Beano , Dandy , Topper ... some I forget .. Hotspur ?

I recall keeping one of each ..

Plus a huge bag of Tell Me Why mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalBall View Post
    Time appearing to pass more quickly as we age is sometimes called the 'holiday paradox' and quite a lot of research has been done into it. The consensus seems to be that in childhood and early adulthood we have many new experiences and learn many new skills. As adults our lives are more routine and we experience fewer unfamiliar moments. A lot of the time we are on autopilot which means less conscious cognitive processing and storage of information in the autobiographical memory. The result is that our early years are relatively overrepresented in our autobiographical memory and appear to have lasted longer. This makes a lot of sense to me. When you start a new job, for example, the first few weeks seem to pass really slowly as you get used to things and they stand out in your memory. After that, time seems to speed up again as you are now familiar with the situation. All very interesting.
    I think it's also the case that, say, 2 years when you were 5 is a greater percentage of your life so far than, say, at 45...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

I have said this before, but a neighbour of mine used to work for the distribution department of WHSmith and used to send us some old comics (not in the Bob Hope vein) that there were a few months old. Beano, Dandy (and Nutty), Topper and all that. I used to assume at the time that he would have been partly responsible for supplying doctors' waiting rooms with old magazines!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    I think it's also the case that, say, 2 years when you were 5 is a greater percentage of your life so far than, say, at 45...
    True - we change very little when we get older. When I had to renew my pass earlier on this month, I used the same passport photograph as I did four years ago when I was 35 or 36. If I was 10 years old rather than 40 as I am now, I would have had to use a more modern picture than when I was 6 because obviously, children change their appearances so much in those years due to growing up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Being fascinated with things just four or five years ago seems normal as a seven or eight year old when one has not lived that long - it is more than half of one's life, even though as a 40 year old, looking back over 20 years (or even 25 years) does not seem alien.

Another thing that comes to my mind was that when we had a wet playtime at Junior School the teacher allowed us to stay in the classroom, and she got a box of old comics out from a cupboard in the room. This was in around 1986-1987, I was so fascinated at seeing old issues of Look In from 1980 in the box which was almost the beginning of time as far as I was concerned. Looking at the region by region listings of top five highlights which was towards the back of the issue back then, I was fascinated at seeing the company names of Southern and Westward in the regional listings, (ATV was a bit more familiar to me in the Midlands as they were connected to Central), and I didn't remember those companies when they were on the air. I assume that the old style of the comics and the mention of pop stars and TV shows in those old 1980 Look Ins probably looked so alien to an eight year old in 1986-1987.

It's a bit like the old magazines that you find in doctors' surgeries - they look so fascinating that you don't want the GP to call your name out as you are enjoying yourself too much!
    We must be twins seperated at birth George - I have this memory too from in Art at School in either 1992 or 93 (or was it Art Club at Lunch possibly I'm thinking now)

Anyway it was a dreary old day Weather-wise and me and friends found some old Sunday Magazines from the Sunday Papers going back to ...... wait for it 1977

i remember being flabergasted and I still am to to this day - they had Sunday Mags with the Papers 42 years a-go!!

80sChav